Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The missing Roman Fort of Bovium Or Bomium  (Read 3616 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »

Have any of you Good People got an idea of where the proposed site of this fort is. I know the suggested sites of Pentre Meyrick and Boverton and under the Town of Cowbridge. But has any one detected the area and come to there own conclusions as having studied Old Maps and Aerial Photos i have come to a different conclusion. Would be interested in your feedback.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:14:39 PM by waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:12:27 PM »

I've found Roman near Pentre Meurik and Boverton - no idea where the fort is, but if you find it please let me know!  Wink Good place for a Rally!

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:20 AM »

Well Neil i am interested in an area to the north of St Hilary. An area south of Bonvilston would suggest a scaled down version of the co axial field sytem dating usually from the prehistoric that looks to have been altered in antiquity. I would suggest a roman villa near by but can find no record of one. Definitely a good place for a rally and looks to be packed with multi period features
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »

I thought Cowbridge was favourite. Found this.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/526608
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »

Yes Jon i have seen this and it confuses me a little as this puts it in Cheshire. Though the text i have puts it between Cardiff and Bridgend.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »

Is the reason for the Cowbridge link in the name Cowbridge itself. Boarium in Latin is a cattle market I believe. Also the only classical link to Bovium places it ten miles from Chester(Diva) and twenty miles from Whitchurch(Mediolanum). Cowbridge doesn't fall into that bracket even with the worst Tom Tom system!

Paul, Do you know what basis the Cowbridge claim has?  I've tried to track down a source but can't find one  Undecided
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:45:58 PM by Jonola (Jon) » Logged
waltonbasinman
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:50:35 PM »

I do apologise folks I meant Bomio or Bomium not Bovium. It is not 100% certain Cowbridge.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »

I've seen both used for Cowbridge. Is there a known name in Latin for Cowbridge?I know that 2nd Legion bricks were found at Cowbridge so something was going on there. ? Off to get my books! My interest has been piqued  Smiley
waltonbasinman
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »

From the texts all that is known is that it was equal distance from Neath and Caerleon. Cowbridge is only named in recent years as the possible site. More finds in even more recent years especially from metal detectorists have made the fort area wider and more doubtful than specifically Cowbridge.
altinkum

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »

there was a roman fort/garrison found at the back of miskin about 3 yrs ago. that was thought to be the missing cowbridge fort and the archie's are keeping very quiet about it's exact location and existance.  mike

explorers, my arse
waltonbasinman
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »

Thankyou altinkum.  Smiley
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 09:17:08 PM »

there are plenty of theories as to its location one may never know as to where it actually lies .it would be a bonus to find out its location for our metal detecting rallies yet even then we would then be excluded from using the areas very quickly.
around cowbridge makes good sense due to its location for land cultivation very good soils.not too clayie.
good luck find it

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Griffmiester

Spare a talent for an old ex-leper.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »

Wayne has done quite a bit of research into this perhaps he can shed some more light...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal