Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bronze cast Horse & rider in bas-relief  (Read 4442 times)
peanut

« on: December 08, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »

I found this in my garden 10 years ago together with a Charles ll Farthing.
It was found outside the window  of a small private chapel believed to be from c 15-16th cent.

If you look closely you can just make out a tiny hole in 2x of the horses hooves which would accept short pieces of wire which could support the figure . They are the only visible potential attachment or  fixing points.

. The casting is very crude and the molten bronze has been poured into a mould but cooled too quickly so that the back of the  figure is uneven.

My best guess is a Medieval toy or possibly a pilgrim badge ?

Any suggestions very welcome.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/6478371359/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/6478433237/#
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:09:27 PM by peanut » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »

Your doing something wrong somewhere Huh
peanut

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:05:16 PM »

Thanks Geoff. I usually use photobucket and copy the direct image link but these images are hosted by flickr and I just grabbed the only link they give. I used the so it should have worked ok ?
Think I have sorted it now . perhaps some kind soul could remove this post for me . Thank you.
Nick
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:11:46 PM by peanut » Logged
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »

Here you go:

Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »

What is the scale of the graph paper ? I cant work the size out from your photos From a rough estimate if they are 3-4" I think it might be a horse brass (harness decoration)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:39:47 PM by Radnor Bandit (Ian) » Logged
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 10:37:46 PM »

that's a great find.........byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
peanut

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »

thanks Doc  Wink how did you do that ?  Roll Eyes

Sorry the scale is cm
weight 75gms
thickness max 7.2mm
length   78.4mm
height   approx 87mm (legs are buckled)

Thanks Byron ,I'd forgotten about this find to be honest. I'd like to find out a date and use for it if I can. If its Medieval I'll register it.

I've decided to dig the garden lawn over ....which gives me a perfect excuse to do a thorough search  Grin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:30:38 AM by peanut » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »

Hi Nick
Do a Google search for Charles 1st paintings and click on the one by Anthony van Dyck. Unless I'm mistaken there is a very real resemblance there.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »

I think it depicts someone from a few years before Charles I as the figure is wearing an Ruff which pins him to the period between roughly 1550-1620.
peanut

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »

thanks Val ,any chance of a link ?  Is this the painting you were referring to ?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Anthonis_van_Dyck_046.jpg/475px-Anthonis_van_Dyck_046.jpg
peanut

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »

I think it depicts someone from a few years before Charles I as the figure is wearing an Ruff which pins him to the period between roughly 1550-1620.

I think that you are right Geoff. The ruff is pretty  diagnostic as is the style of armour and horse equipment. I suspect its going to take a bit of research .
My feeling is that the figure is moddeled on someone pretty important and well known  because of the laurel type head adornment and armour.

It looks like he may be sporting a beard though I suppose it could be part of his visor I suppose?

mmmm could it be our dear old enry? Henry vlll ? the armour is certainly very similar as is the very distinctive ornate breast collar on the horse

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:38:34 AM by peanut » Logged
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »

But you would once again have the problem of the ruff (especially that size) I don't personally think he is wearing a helmet or if he is it doesn't fit with the armour of that period. The band or laurel on his head is not dissimilar to the one depicted by Laurence Olivier in Henry V, but how true to reality that was I don't know.
But of course it is just a representation OF not a direct likeness TO, so artistic licence is expected.

peanut

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 01:06:44 PM »

But you would once again have the problem of the ruff (especially that size) I don't personally think he is wearing a helmet or if he is it doesn't fit with the armour of that period. The band or laurel on his head is not dissimilar to the one depicted by Laurence Olivier in Henry V, but how true to reality that was I don't know.
But of course it is just a representation OF not a direct likeness TO, so artistic licence is expected.

I'm beginning to feel that It may not be a ruff afterall.Tis too shallow for a ruff methinks. Grin    Perhaps it is the collar of the armour upon which sits the helmet .?

I'm not sure that they would have worn a ruff with armour on horseback and even a representation would have looked a bit silly at the time. Especially considering that it would have been an important well know figure and how vain they were back then about appearance Roll Eyes

Judging by the considerable detail of the sculpting I would say that this figure is likely to have been very accuratly copied as apposed to representational.

Henry v thats an excellent  idea . I'm now also thinking   Plantagenet !   Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »

No, I think Tudor/Stuart is the period and it would only be representational. One thing we tend to forget in our multi media world is that 99% of people would never see any of the famous people of the time so they would be represented by the fashion rather than their looks. Even the monarch would only be known by their coinage.
But sweeping all this aside for a moment, looking at the lack of patina on it I have a gut feeling that it is more likely 20thC.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »

there was somthing like this on here about a year back.....but now we ve changed servers we ve lost all our pictures  Sad.........if I rember correctly iI think it was a victorian door mounting

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal