Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bone chilling!  (Read 2191 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: November 22, 2015, 05:17:54 AM »

With the news that our static caravan had finally been moved and set up on the new site at Marine Park, we decided to drive down and unpack all the loose gear from it's hiding places. With the first ice of winter sitting under the wipers, we packed up the car and headed off to a new adventure, Despite the wind coming in from the west, it was cold enough to chill you to the bone.

It tuned out that the bridge after the Deeside industrial estate was closed and we had to do a detour but was treated to some beautiful scenery of snow covered hills as we progressed towards our goal.

Most of the day yesterday was spent unpacking, cleaning, and shampooing carpets. But ah ha; I had managed to bring the Safari, a small coil, and my trusty border spade with us and my dear wife has agreed to let me out for a bit of beach detecting this morning. The BBC weather report has forecast fine weather fall day for today, but it has rained heavily all night and it's just started again.

I can hear a warm bed gently calling me back to slumberland, as the cold icy rain rattles on the caravan windows. Perhaps, after a bit of breakfast, I will work up enough courage to get out and give some special areas of the Talacre sands an other going over. Hmmm!

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Cymro

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »

Glad you've got the van moved and are getting it back to a habitable condition - that's one hurdle you're over!

They've got overnight closures on the coast road around Flint for 3 weeks, apparently for resurfacing (but I think it's just to add a buggeration factor into our lives . . . ) so they're probably diverting the traffic away from the area by closing the bridge. When I was working out of the Industrial Estate they never used to post diversions - they just used to close the approach to the bridge after Shotton Paper so you had to turn round on the roundabout and re-trace your route back to the A55 . . .  Angry

Shame the weather is so naff - even I was still in the Land of Nod at 5 this morning. Haven't checked the tides; there was a neap last week when we tried around the site of the old pier in Rhyl but there will be a spring in a week or so which should give you more time on the beach (provided that low water falls in the few hours of daylight we're getting now . . . )

Our foray last Monday wasn't very productive - I think we had about £1.50 between us. Oh, and a pair of sunglasses I dug out of the black mud a couple of hundred yards out - when I was emptying my finds pouch at home I stuck them under the garden tap and found that the lenses were in perfect condition . . .  Huh

Good luck, whatever you do . . .  Smiley
Richie sixpence

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »

Hi Chris
Great to hear the caravan move is complete very quick I think too  Smiley.
You are very brave to venture out on the beach in this weather but I do remember the session we both had on Talacre beach some time ago with snow on the beach too  Wink. I do miss our meetings at Mcdonalds then off to the beach for a days detecting  Cry.
Ive got to open up a manhole latter we have a blocked drain from the kitchen. Goodness knows what I will find and not looking forward to it lol  Shocked  Huh .

Anyway Chris looks like the weather is brightening up outside good luck on the beach stay safe and happy hunting oh and let us know how you get on been some big storms lately so who knows what will have been unearthed.

All the very best Richie sixpence  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

Thanks for the good wishes chaps. With the rain still battering on the van, I decided to lay me head on the pillow untill there was a break in the weather. Arrgh; fell fast asleep until 1030 and was woken by the promised sunshine beaming in through a gap in the curtains.

Her who must be obeyed was kind enough to let me out late. Bitter cold wind blowing at Talacre and not many on the sands, Only two detectorists today; my  self and David Jones from Stafford. I had a quick chat with Dave and then set off for some shingle searching. The Nel Snake coil continued to work well in partnership with the Safari and got me through some heavily scrap infested sections of shingle. The best I could manage today was one George VI halfpenny, a one pound decimal coin, and a possible Elizabeth II 5p or sixpence. Having said that; I dug far less projectiles or scrap.

Having proved it's value the Snake can now be put aside and the stock coil replaced on the safari ready for some wider beach detecting. Took deliver of a Detech 13" Ultimate coil the other day but the Mrs is keeping it under wraps till Christmas Day.  Cry

I will have a look at the weather and tides for Rhyl next Sunday and may give the Safari a run there. Or should I break out the CS4PI? I think I can now give Talacre a rest and try and digest the many clues that I have gathered over the last five years.

Ps Richie, you are always welcome to join me and I would be more than happy to pick you up on the way down.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal