Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broke another spade today  (Read 5566 times)
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« on: November 28, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »

Any ideas on a good one for the beach that will last longer than a couple of months and a good place to buy it from ?

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »

Get a Black  Ada Zeus, careful though as some of them have a small blade. The black ada are solid though .

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »

There's a few versions from what I could see. What would you reccommend for beach use ?

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:28 PM »

Black Ada are generally too small for beach detecting. The strain on spades used on the beach comes leverage and the sheer weight of wet sand.
If beach detecting is your thing then get the proper tools and buy a good sand scoop, I wouldn't bother with a UK made one as they are madly expensive. This link takes you to the ones I can strongly recomend;
http://www.stavrscoop.com/
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »

I use a stainless steel border spade bought from B & Q £25 cost me
has the added advantage of flat edges on top of blade to protect your boots etc.
And very strong cheers PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
Sewin
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:10:51 AM »

What a coincidence re. mention of B&Q stainless spade.  I returned the one I bought in September yesterday and had a full refund.  It was rusting and the shaft was splitting.  I had emailed the manufacturer, Joseph Bentley,  regarding the faults and they showed very little concern but eventually did offer me a pair of gloves as compensation.  Not satisfied with that, I did what I should have done in the first place and went back to B&Q.
Desperate for a spade, I went to Wilkinson's and bought a cheapie that cost under a fiver with the 25% discount.  I have put a point on it with a hacksaw and it has been given full pressure on the beach for two days and so far it's OK.
Returned to Wilkinson's yesterday and got another as they are so cheap and will sculpt a different shape with hacksaw.
I appreciate that there is a lot of truth in the old saying of "buy cheap, buy twice", but the B&Q one for about 5 times the amount was not the best of investments.

If you've walked over it, you've missed it! Unless you're walking backwards.  Think about it.
CZFisher-man
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »

Check this "scoop" out!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=113384
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:58 AM »

I am sorry to disagree with that type spade it is ok for clean sandy beaches but is no good for any rocks in the way.
May I suggest a wilkinson's sword power spade I broke 17 other types in about 18 months but I can safely say 3 years on my wilkinson is still battling the ground and have lifted 20 plus manholes at work so can really vouch they are worth buying. Be sure not to get the one with rivets through the bottom mind you they are pants.
The steel is born and takes one hell of a beating ask anyone I am brutal on spades so if it ain't broke by me in a year it would last most people 20.

Where available at one point in Home bargains at like £8 but think only available from B&Q now at £30 try online for one though 1st

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »

I'm totally agree, I have one that's been cut down and they are brilliant. It seems as if the border version has been discontinued other than through B&Q also the same design/name/metal is now made by Fiskars not Wilkinson Huh
Very light and very strong, I got mine from..........um?.........ur?.....Oh you know, that short chap with no hair?  Oh! I remember now, it was the face of DW himself Grin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:20:44 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
daimole

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »

Looking for a new spade myself Huh going to need a strong one when I get my BLISSTOOL 64XV3 Grin

Detector / Headphones / Spade

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal