Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol mint hammereds  (Read 50319 times)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »

like mine al with the crosses coming through on head side I think they call it ghosting  Wink

hadn't really thought about it until i read your comment Colin, but now that you mention it, it means  i got to go and read up all about it.  Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »

like mine al with the crosses coming through on head side I think they call it ghosting  Wink

hadn't really thought about it until i read your comment Colin, but now that you mention it, it means  i got to go and read up all about it.  Grin

Your spot on Colin it is called ghosting and trying to find a high grade example with out it is very hard !!
Alan that is a very nice grade penny with strong legends, a unclipped flan, with slight ghosting as Colin pointed out, but its still a very nice Bristol penny...... Thanks for posting your coins lads  Wink Wink

il have a new Bristol arriving tomorrow brought last night, another Henry VIII groat WS mint mark, but a lot better grade than last weeks groat I posted........ will post pic when it. arrives. 
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »

The Henry VIII groat arrived today, what im very pleased with, I tried to take the best photo I can using the poor light iv got Undecided

Peter (doc) or probono if you see this post can you give me your thoughts on grade, as its the posthumous issues, and they are usually very poor coins... Thanks 

* 001 (Medium).JPG (213.92 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1573 times.)

* 002 (Medium).JPG (171.26 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1600 times.)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »

Well, grading is quite a subjective thing.

When I started collecting coins, the dealer I bought from (Dave Ruskin) said that to properly grade a coin you have to see how nice the flan is, how well struck it is, etc, etc - and it doesn't really matter what the general issue is like - you are correct that it is well struck for its issue, but that wouldn't affect the true grade (it just means that for coins of this type the better grades are that much more expensive - check the various values for tin coins for instance)

So - It's got a good portrait, but it isn't super sharp - the legend is mostly clear, but there are flat areas of striking and there is some edge loss. On the reverse again mostly well struck, but there are areas of weakness and some corrosion.

Spink (who I find at times very cautious in grading) would probably say GF+ (maybe even nVF), whilst mentioning the problems, whereas eBay would probably say EF and someone like CNG might say VF(ish) - although maybe mentioning some of the porosity and saying that it was possible 'as struck' except for the edge nibbling.

Hope that provides some insight into how I might possible approach grading something. All I can say is that most things are over-graded and I thought I knew what uncirculated was until I actually got to see proper uncirculated coins - and that then adjusted my perception of the other grades.
colin

dig everything

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »

my first ever hammered dale was edward 1st penny on a farm just 2 miles from my house and this has the crosses coming through on the bust  Wink

* eddie hammered eglwys (Copy).JPG (106.13 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 2182 times.)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

You got some good points there probono, as you say the issue should not make a difference in grading but it always does for the debased coins, there is a lot to take into account, the quality of metal, its easily chipped, poor for striking, and as you say they corrode a lot easier ....... its far from the fine silver coinage, where VF plus groats are easily obtained Smiley

Thanks for your reply Wink 
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 01:53:27 AM »

heres mine

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 09:59:24 AM »

You got some good points there probono, as you say the issue should not make a difference in grading but it always does for the debased coins, there is a lot to take into account, the quality of metal, its easily chipped, poor for striking, and as you say they corrode a lot easier ....... its far from the fine silver coinage, where VF plus groats are easily obtained Smiley

Thanks for your reply Wink 

Ture - VF groats for the fine silver are easy to obtain, so their relatives values are lower.

I always remember someone telling me a story about an old lady who took a worn Geo III penny to the museum to have it valued. When told it was worth very little because of it's condition she replied ' we'll you'd look like that if you were that old'.... I suppose it's as my mentor said 'you can't call a coin VF if there's bit's missing, only that there are 'VF details' (should point out that I wouldn't be complaining if I had bought the groat you had Smiley ).
willow tree

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »

Thought you might like to see this beauty found at the D.W rally in Penmark 2011, Edward 1 Bristol mint Class 3g, cheers Chris

* 012 (Copy).JPG (94.82 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1633 times.)

* 011 (Copy).JPG (100.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2050 times.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:15:30 AM by willow tree » Logged
colin

dig everything

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »

lovely coin willow tree i think you mean penmark
 Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 08:09:01 PM »

What a great detecting find willow tree !! that penny is as good as any in my collection, if not better Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »

(should point out that I wouldn't be complaining if I had bought the groat you had Smiley ).

[/quote]

Probono the price I got this coin for was a absolute give away, off Ebay, buy now or make offer, I never wasted anytime making offers  Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »

I went to a coin fair today and added a few more local coins to the collection,
Iv did pretty well lately with getting new coins most being gap fillers, but a few better grade ones.
The Henry III penny is the 2nd rarest one, moneyer Henri, a nice grade with a possible striking crack.

The square coin is a Bristol farthing, I think is dated to about 1551, I now need one more to complete the collection, with the very rare left sailing ship.

The last being a Dobunni Celtic unit (silver base) I haven't looked up the type yet, its not the best shot, but its has some nice detail Wink

* 001 (Medium).JPG (201.16 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1776 times.)

* 002 (Medium).JPG (182.75 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1773 times.)
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »

Cracking coins  Smiley

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »

That Bristol Farthing is very nice. Nice coins.  Cool Cool

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal