Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 hour last night  (Read 8300 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »

It's hard to make out any mint mark, but from what i can see I think it is (P) - P in brackets, which would place it as struck 1643-4 (Tower mint under Parliament).

It is a shilling, Charles I.
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »

Well done Will , great coin  Smiley

Cheers, I also got a small patterned Spindle Whorl, bit broken though. Will try to post a picture soon.

Great stuff, Ive watched a few vids on YouTube which say where's there's spindle whorl's there's likely to be hammereds too. And on 2 occasions after finding a whorl they find hammered coins. Plus yours now! Is there a science behind this or just because they are from a time when holes in pockets / purses were common etc! sorry if there's an obvious answer, still learning  Smiley

I've not heard that before, interesting. The field I find this stuff on has had finds dated from 13th to 19th century so has been in use for that whole period. I suspect it may have been used as part of a market as well as for habitation and crops/sheep over the years. I guess over that many years a lot of things get dropped and lost. I'm going to hammer it over the summer as there's still a lot I haven't done yet as it has been too wet.

XP Deus user
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

Well done Will , great coin  Smiley

Cheers, I also got a small patterned Spindle Whorl, bit broken though. Will try to post a picture soon.

Great stuff, Ive watched a few vids on YouTube which say where's there's spindle whorl's there's likely to be hammereds too. And on 2 occasions after finding a whorl they find hammered coins. Plus yours now! Is there a science behind this or just because they are from a time when holes in pockets / purses were common etc! sorry if there's an obvious answer, still learning  Smiley
We don't get too many whorls with designs on them  up here in the North but plenty of plain ones. They are really hard to date as they were in use from Roman times up until early Victorian times. The decorated ones are one of my favourite finds.

It's quite small (about the size of a 10p) has swirls and dots on one side and straight lines radiating out toward the edge on the other. I'll get some pictures posted later.

XP Deus user
Little_bro
NWDD Member

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »

nice one Will  Wink

Heus, modo itera omnia quae mihi nunc nuper narravisti, sed nunc Anglice

NWDD & NCMD
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »

very nice find well done  Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »

Don't be sorry for asking Sharky, it's a very good and thought provoking question.
I think one could never be certain of a connection other than being from a similar period and if a casual travelling loss then all we could say was that a footpath/track was probably close to the find spot.
But as the pure mechanics of using a spindle whorl make it very susceptible to being lost during use, then I think many finds are from close to where they have been lost during that use.
Now given that wool goes through a long process between coming off the Sheep and being spun and that this washed and teased wool would be all nice and clean in a sack, it's highly unlikely that you are now going to carry it into the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere to do your spinning Huh Your also not going to choose a windy spot and remember that this is all happening in summer so being outside is a proffered option.
So we end up with a place that is close to either habitation or farm or mill outbuildings and also an area that is probably pleasant enough to want to take a break/lunch in. But even if only one person is spinning, dependant on how much wool they have I'de imagine that it's a job that takes a few days at least. Multiply those few days by say 400 years and you have a massive opportunity for a coin loss.
It's only a theory, but it's one that works for me Wink
sharkey
NWDD Member

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »

Wow that's an amazing response Chef Geoff , the explanation works for me too. Hope to start finding whorls one day soon , then have a good mooch around the area surrounding it! Thanks again

Sharkey

*North Wales Dirt Diggers
*Chester Mob member #002
*XP Deus
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

Many thanks for the replies, very interesting explanation Chef, thanks.

Did another couple of hours tonight, another 2 small hammered and another patterned spindle whorl, think I've found a hot spot on the field.  Smiley

Will post the pics tomorrow morning when I'm in work.

XP Deus user
digitup
NWDD Member

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »

wow will you and Jason are the lucky ones   my turn next  Wink
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »

wow will you and Jason are the lucky ones   my turn next  Wink

Probably wont get anything else for the rest of the year now though   Grin

XP Deus user
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »

You're on a roll Will. Keep plugging away at that area it's surprising what you miss first time. Me and Keith are having a go tomorrow so fingers crossed.
Richie sixpence

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »

Great find Will lovely coin my friend  Wink

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:54 PM »

Great find Will lovely coin my friend  Wink

Thanks mate.

XP Deus user
Richie sixpence

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »

Good luck tomorrow Chris and Keith I will be thinking of you while I'm working my butt off lol  Wink  Cry

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »

You're on a roll Will. Keep plugging away at that area it's surprising what you miss first time. Me and Keith are having a go tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Yes, back on it tomorrow again after work. Good luck for tomorrow.

XP Deus user

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal