Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Secret wartime bunker near Cardiff opened to public  (Read 1847 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 04, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »

Courtesy of BBC Online 4th April 2011

While the role of the Home Guard during World War II has been widely celebrated, very little is known of their counterparts in the Auxiliary Units, who would have been Britain's last line of defence in the event of a Nazi invasion.

The units, dubbed "Churchill's Secret Army", were set up to relay vital information about enemy movements and help mount counter-attacks as Britain braced itself for occupation.

Now Forestry Commission Wales has unearthed a bunker which would have provided a secret hideout, had the troops needed it.

The concrete structure nestled in the Coed Coesau-Whips Woodland near Rudry, between Caerphilly and Cardiff, has been overgrown for 60 years, but even then it would have been hard to spot.

It has been cleaned out, and made to look as it would have done in wartime, with the help of historians from the Coleshill Auxiliary Research Team (CART), and a newspaper appeal for secrets held amongst locals for over half a century.

CART founder Tom Sykes said, "Preserving sites like this is really important as they allow the public to see just what life would have been like for members of Churchill's Auxiliary Units.

"If Hitler had invaded, up to eight men would have lived in bases similar to this and they would have survived off the land and their rations.

The Coed Coesau-Whips site was chosen for its strategic advantages. Its elevation gave a view over south Wales and the Bristol Channel.

It was also close enough to the heavy industry of the south Wales valleys to act as a base for sabotage missions, and was rural enough for men to have scavenged for food and live anonymously for months at a time without attracting attention.

The bunker's concrete facade was camouflaged in soil and undergrowth and was designed to slide away like a sunroof.

It would have revealed basic living quarters which could easily have been mistaken for the den of a vagrant if discovered.

However, behind another false door was an inner chamber which would have hidden state-of-the-art radio communications, maps and reconnaissance photos, and be a control centre for hundreds of operatives working in the field.

To make it safe for visitors, Forestry Commission Wales has had to clear away all the accumulated foliage and rubbish, as well as build a path from the road and put up fences to prevent people falling into the camouflaged bunker.

Ranger at the forest, Emma Louise Felkin, said, "We've always said that our forests have an important role to play in providing a whole range of social, environmental and economic benefits, but this bunker reminds us of a time when they were important for a totally different reason.

"It's right that we remember our past and we were delighted that CART was able to help us preserve this fascinating part of our heritage."

* _51975318_ww2012.jpg (21.82 KB, 224x299 - viewed 462 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »

Theres one of these in Ely Woods in Cardiff, that we used to play in as kids. I wonder how many more are left forgotten in our nations woodland.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
db4

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »

there is one in Rhos (Pontardawe) which cadw has taken over, later this year they hope to open to the public
WeLsH Boi

Safari user FID member

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »

I'm building one myself in ely woods to hide from the inmagrants. Cantons turning into rawkes drift, just with out guns.
Have to go visit that with th old man. He's a fanatic!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal