Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Port Einon  (Read 3469 times)
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« on: July 04, 2009, 07:42:02 AM »

Stayed camping at port einon for a few days, anything of interest known for that area.

Fabulous campsite overlooking sea rocks and beach, thought i might return with tector Huh
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »

Port Eynon is thought to be named after an 11th century Welsh Prince named Eynon. Eynon is a surname in Wales and the church graveyard in the village shows gravestones with this surname. It is believed that the Prince built Port Eynon castle which no longer exists.

Smuggling is thought to have been a common engagement of the local residents in the 17th century to 19th century.

A derelict "salt house" used for extracting salt from sea water is located a quarter of a mile from the village, just off Port Eynon Point.

In the second half of the 18th century, through to 1919, a lifeboat was operated from Port Eynon. On several occasions, the lives of lifeboatmen were lost at sea on rescues. On the 1st January 1916 the lives of three young men were lost in the Port Eynon Lifeboat Disaster when the lifeboat went to the assistance of SS Dunvegan which was shipwrecked off Oxwich point. A memorial to these men exists in the village churchyard. Copies of news articles on the Disaster can be seen on the wall of the local fish and chip shop in Port Eynon - The Captain's Table.
There is also a Submerged Forest,visible at very low tides approx 300yards out to sea &
amongst the historic sites in Port Eynon is the  Culver Hole, set into the cliffs to the east of Port Eynon and near the Salt House. The origins of Culver Hole are unknown, there being legends that is was an escape route from the nearby Salt House, the original building of which was owned by the Lucas family of Stouthall. It may also have had some connection with smuggling which was rife along the Gower coast. Most probably it was a very large pigeon house.

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »

Outlaw you went to Port Eynon and didn't take your 'tector?   Shocked Shocked Shame on you! lol. Grin Grin

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »

There is a lot of sand gone from that beach and of course the dunes are protected

I never found a lot since the sand went....saying that its a pretty place and after a sunny day you should still find recent losses.
There is a lot more rock showing now so you would think the older finds would be there
but i aint found em lol...good luck anyway all the best PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:54:36 PM »

Thankyou for the imput and the history very interesting and one feels worth a look at a very low tide.  Grin
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

The right hand side of the bay was where a coin hoard (silver) was found years back. I can't remember for the life of me what period they were.
Landyman

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »

About 10 years ago when there used to be sand at Port Einon used to find loads of  old pre decimal coins. Once found over 100 coins in one gully including a hammered. Also found another hammered there right by the entrance to the beach where I, and Im sure many others, had detected over many times. Also found portuguese coins and musket balls there but sadly most of the sand has gone due to dredging out at sea and old finds are sparse these days so I dont go there anymore.
outlaw

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:29:47 AM »

An elderly caravaner said that th locals had signed petitions demonstrating that the sand dredgers had wrecked the beaches. Its very uncanny how the tides claw back sand in one part and deposits it back in another place !
zorro
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »

i know roman coins were found near the car park years ago. but as you guys have said since the sand has gone you're probably only likely to gt modern losses now....stil nice place to spend some time all the same

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal