Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: sovereign gt and explorer se??  (Read 13578 times)
Bryn81

« on: July 24, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »

just wondering who has experience or info on these detectors? any good/bad reviews?

thanks
Bryn
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »

had a se for a while now and to be honest i cant fault it im only upgrading end of year as its showing its age cosmetically and the amount of finds i have had with this machine has been brill and now beacuse of the high finds rate wants me to upgrade to see what else is there Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »

on a serious note the se is a switch on and go machine which you can adjust to your own settings later when you are used to using it,depth is great as well as discrimination, the se is is on a par with the e trac in most departments,if i could start this hobby all over again i would love to start with a se its what i would call a proffesional starter machine that will prove itself time after time ,,during the 2 years i have had the se its totalled me 70+ hammies 3 gold coins 7 dinari and a whole lot of enjoyment.

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Bryn81

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »

on a serious note the se is a switch on and go machine which you can adjust to your own settings later when you are used to using it,depth is great as well as discrimination, the se is is on a par with the e trac in most departments,if i could start this hobby all over again i would love to start with a se its what i would call a proffesional starter machine that will prove itself time after time ,,during the 2 years i have had the se its totalled me 70+ hammies 3 gold coins 7 dinari and a whole lot of enjoyment.

its obviously got a thumbs up from you then  Wink.  you have any experience with the sovereign or know anyone who uses one?
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »

yep my detecting buddy uses a soverign and even though he is a newbie at the hobby he finds his fair share,we did swop machines on 1 detecting session and to be honest i couldent tell a great deal of difference to the se ,,mind you he did have a stonking great coil on at the time. Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:06:40 PM »

Hi again Roberts.
Both these machines are at the ends of long pedigrees, the SE 9 years and the GT 19 years.
They are difficult to make a comparison between as one is a VDU machine (SE) and the other (GT) is a tone only machine.
Both machines are refinements on their predecessors rather than advancements, ie. the SE is basically the same machine as the original XS with only a more user friendly menu and faster processor (now made more stable with the Etrac) but the depth with the same coils is about the same. (you can run the Etrac slightly hot without being punished).
The Sovereign has gone through a few more models but is basically the same machine in fact the GT shows some of the features done away with on the last models.
Both machines rely on tones for the best accuracy for target id and as for depth there is little between them.
For a general purpose detector for someone new to the hobby I would say the SE is easier to distinguish the tones with and is not so frustrating on highly iron infested sites.
However the Sovereign's are the only machine to choose if you are intending on beach and pasture detecting for their shear power.
If you are looking at Sovereigns and considering second hand then any of the models are equally as good, many sovereign users have tried the Elite (last model) and the GT and gone back to the XS2aPro (considered my many as the best model made).
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

on another note when i upgrade this year i aint px ing my se ,im keeping the bugger Grin Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Bryn81

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »

thanks fellas, seen a couple of good deals on ebay recently soo just wanted someone with more experience and knowledge to give some info about them Smiley both look like really good machines to me
Bryn81

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »

Hi again Roberts.
Both these machines are at the ends of long pedigrees, the SE 9 years and the GT 19 years.
They are difficult to make a comparison between as one is a VDU machine (SE) and the other (GT) is a tone only machine.
Both machines are refinements on their predecessors rather than advancements, ie. the SE is basically the same machine as the original XS with only a more user friendly menu and faster processor (now made more stable with the Etrac) but the depth with the same coils is about the same. (you can run the Etrac slightly hot without being punished).
The Sovereign has gone through a few more models but is basically the same machine in fact the GT shows some of the features done away with on the last models.
Both machines rely on tones for the best accuracy for target id and as for depth there is little between them.
For a general purpose detector for someone new to the hobby I would say the SE is easier to distinguish the tones with and is not so frustrating on highly iron infested sites.
However the Sovereign's are the only machine to choose if you are intending on beach and pasture detecting for their shear power.
If you are looking at Sovereigns and considering second hand then any of the models are equally as good, many sovereign users have tried the Elite (last model) and the GT and gone back to the XS2aPro (considered my many as the best model made).

did you have an se for sale about a month ago? Smiley
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »

Yes I did, Still got 1 though and the Sovereign and wouldn't part with either.
Bryn81

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »

wow someone is keen and has plenty of money Wink.

if you could only have one and u intended to use on both pasture and beach im taking it would be the sovereign from your past comment?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »

Yes it probably would be, but remember I've been using Sovereigns since they came out and hadn't been spoiled then by the luxury of a VDU and programmable machine. Unfortunately not got plenty of money but I need them to test headphones, (well thats what I tell the better half)   Grin
Have you got or had a machine before???
Bryn81

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 08:41:47 PM »

yes i had a viking a couple of years ago cant remember the model name tho. wanting to get back into the hobby as am really interested in my local history so want to get more serious about things now. obviously i would like the Deus but noticed there are some other well priced second hand machines out there. also noticed alot of people say they think its a good idea to try alot of different detectors to see which suits you the best before going out and buying an expensive new machine. sounds sensible to me, plus i can save more money while detecting with my second hand machine lol
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:48:59 PM »

Very good idea. if thats the case then have a look on ebay for a XS2a Pro or an Elite (both sovereigns) which can go for about £300 (though one XS2a did go today for £500, which is just a stupid price)
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 08:51:11 PM »

as i always say,no good buying a ferrari if your still on L plates,,,,personally i love people who start going into the hobby with a dogs nads detecter as they usually end up on e bay for half the price 6 months later Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head