Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: first dig complete! cleaning up coins,how do I do it?  (Read 2450 times)
darrrren
Rally attendee

« on: December 21, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »

Ok so I just went on my first dig today after much anticipation and it was what I would call a success for sure. So I'm not going to spoil the suprise I found 2 coins amongst other things, but they're green,and on literally looks like it has rock growing on it. If rinsed them under warm water and can make out a few letters on one which I'm assuming is victoria,and there's another coin but its flat,the image is in the middle as is the writing and the whole outter part of the coin is plain. I need to clean them up a bit before I write a report with photos on my first dig Smiley
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 02:20:51 PM »

The 'rock' growing on them is bronze disease, swill of the mud , let them dry and pop them in your collection. You will have enough coins to sink a ship eventually. Unfortunately there is no way of cleaning them up any better and more often than not, it is wear not dirt so no amount of cleaning will bring out any more detail.

Dont worry, you'll have good coins as well, take your time with them, sometimes water can ruin detail so be careful.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
darrrren
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »

Ok ill get some photos up later,shame I can't clean them up much better but hopefully some people will be able to twll me what they are from the detail on there.
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:38:40 AM »

well done on the finds  Wink
Christoph1945
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »

Hi Darren,
                 sounds like you had a good day, finding two coins on your first outing. The desire to clean them up can be almost unbearable for a beginner and most of us have been through the temptation to rush into cleaning our finds. Show us some pictures of the coins and I am sure that you will get some very swift advice on how to progress with them.

Welcome to the great adventure, good luck and happy hunting.  Smiley
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »

Hi Darren. Well done on you finds, if you can see any bits of the legend you could try rubbing it with a ink rubber it will sometimes raise it enough to help you identify it.

Grego

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal