Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Danger' Metal Detecting in Progress  (Read 2253 times)
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »

Went out yesterday morning for a full day detecting and ended up sitting in an A&E unit for 3 hours waiting to be seen.

The day went fairly normally until around the 4pm mark, when I had a sort of small 'iffy' signal which was, one of those
times when you just feel you need to dig to be on the safe side. Took the plug out and the signal was still in the hole
so used the probe to locate and began scraping out the loose surface dirt, close to where the loudest response from the
probe indicated. This is where it went pear shaped.. Sudden sharp pain in the left index finger and on examination (glove
off) lots of blood. "I'd discovered a discarded needle used to inoculate sheep"!!
I deliberately made it bleed as much as I could so as to flush the injury but decided then and there to visit the hospital
on my return home as you never know what the injection was for.

Now this is my point (no pun intended). Remember the environment we spend a lot of time in and how many of us have
up to date tetanus jabs? Also the staff nurse said that they were more worried about (Hepatitis B) and that to be on the safe
side I would need to have a course of three injections over the next three months, the first was given yesterday the same time as the tetanus. Be safe guys / gals as you never know when you stick your hand into one of the plug holes where it may end and I don't think there's a glove out there that can cope with a needle point.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »

ohhhh not good mike. Hope nothing bad comes from it. A few months ago i also found a discarded needle. I took it straight to the hedge and stuck it in the mud needle end 1st. Did it at an area i knew no one could get at it. NO WAY was it going in my finds pouch

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »

Ouch, sorry to hear that Mike and a sobering reminder for people to be careful Wink
But are you sure she was a nurse? lol Hepatitis B is only infectious to humans and apes plus if the needle was buried the virus can only live for 7 days outside the body so pretty doubtful, I think I would have said "thanks but no thanks".
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »

Had a similar episode last summer, big hole, scraping out with my hand and felt a nick, looked at my glove and it had a cut in it and my finger had a slight cut as well. Looked into the hole and at the bottom sticking up was on old razor blade!!!!! Luckily the glove took most of the damage, went home and opened the wound and poured TCP into it  Shocked Shocked Shocked That wasn't fun at all.

XP Deus user
Passingclod(Andrew)

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »

Hello
Jessus hope you are ok Mike.?
I wear gloves when detecting as a lesson learnt on the beach.I had a great signal and dug down with no gloves on then  reached into the hole only to be met by a coin on edge lodged in the rocks worn by tides into a razor sharp edge.
Bled like a stuck pig.
Cheers Andrew
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »

ouch that must have been a shock , but now you know what the sheep felt like  Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »

Thank goodness, no I don't. They usually have it in the belly.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »

ooh man hope your o.k bud.i dont detect on swansea bay for that exact reason.i saw a load of discarded needles there once by the bay view hotel part of the beach.
  Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal