Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the one find that still refuses to be dug by you?  (Read 4164 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 08, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »

I know we have had this thread before, but I thought I would refresh it.

For me a while ago it used to be a silver love token, a crotal bell and a silver thimble Relatively frequent finds for everyone else, but I only put the ghost of these items to bed last year and ticked them all off!

Now they are off the list, top of my finds list that everyone else seems to find once in a blue moon, but I never get a sniff of is a personal seal. It can be lead, bronze, silver or even gold. I am not fussy at all. I have seen a few of these turn up over the years when I have been detecting (even a few feet from me!), but they don't like me! I would be more than happy with a lead one, although the one pictured below would be perfect. Roll Eyes

Come on - what are you waiting to find? Last time we ran this Chef managed to get the monkey off his back with a crotal bell and Roman Ray found his first hammered coin. Think of it as a good luck omen.

Neil

* seal011.jpg (26.63 KB, 385x316 - viewed 230 times.)

* seal005-1.jpg (41.29 KB, 383x285 - viewed 279 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »

Any gold coin at all will get that Monkey off my back. A Queen Anne coin, A flint tanged barbed arrow head.

But then I suppose they are hard enough finds anyway so an everyday Item would be a Ring - Any ring I can keep and call my own.  Smiley

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »

I would love a bullhead please  but this is my  seal found while out with Geoff and Taff

* seal.jpg (107.35 KB, 205x154 - viewed 249 times.)

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:49:14 PM »

I would love a bullhead please  but this is my  seal found while out with Geoff and Taff

Oddly enough, I had an 1813 Bullhead today and have a few in my collection.

I'd love my first gold coin! I have a couple of hundred hammered and milled silver coins from over the years, but just can't seem to score on a gold coin!  Cry

mooster
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »

It's Gota be a gold hammered or a stater ! I recon I'd collaps in the feild !!!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »

I've been a bit spoiled in the last 18 months and have been able to cross a Bronze age spearhead, posy ring, stater and of course the infamous Crotal bell off my list and over the years I have covered most basis as far as coin eras are concerned, all that is except one and that is the Commonwealth. I have never even come close to finding a coin from that period and I'm hoping that by putting it down in writing, as Neil has said, may just help it rear it's head. Grin

Ohh what the hell, and I wouldn't mind a gold Saxon if theres any going Grin

Oh yes and an Edward III double leopard Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:10:51 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »

What do you mean by Commonwealth, Geoff.

I have had coins from Canada, India and  amongst others which are/were part of the Commonwealth.

I loved getting my silver half dollar recently from the turn of last century! (but not a Commonwealth coin)

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »

Got my main missing "common" find last year when I had my first silver halfcrown.

Saxon and/or Celtic coin would be nice to get off my wishlist for this year.  Grin

jtalbot0001

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »

For me on the very top of my list it would have to be a silver Roman coin, never found one of those. Then it would have to be something gold, no matter what it is! A Celtic coin and a Saxon coin, never had any of these! Any one of these this year would make me very happy indeed!

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
nomad

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »

for me it would have to be any nice find.... Grin...a nce gold hammered...never found one...or a roman brooch for this year..any condition .in not proud..i just want one,,it must be over ten years since my last one...lol
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »

What do you mean by Commonwealth, Geoff.

I have had coins from Canada, India and  amongst others which are/were part of the Commonwealth.

I loved getting my silver half dollar recently from the turn of last century! (but not a Commonwealth coin)

The trouble with you Bob is I never know when your joking Wink "THE" Commonwealth as in 1649-1660.
Humfrey

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »

LOL  Grin  All the above
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 07:01:26 PM »

You gotta watch that Chef !   Wink

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »

i have been graced by many wonderfull objects and coins in my time tectin but several things elude me,saxon coin,gold hammy,holy grail,spear of longinus,and that big gold box with those 2 big birds on it  Grin,,,,but we all search for the pleasure and sometimes the unobtainable.........and some days can be exeptionaly  unforgetable....good luck all.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
benny

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »

Still waiting for a gold coin to pop out!
My wishlist for this year was a silver roman coin and I've crossed that one off the list now so maybe this might spur the gold one on!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal