Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes I have a little puzzle for you about this Charles 1st penny!  (Read 2359 times)
hedgehog
« on: April 19, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

Tell me more Watson!

This penny was found on the surface of a pasture field by Hedgehog and he was wondering how it came to be on the surface because the field hasn't been ploughed for years?

Take me to the field!(off they go on foot, it's not far away)

Well Holmes this is where he found it, lying on the surface just there located it with one of those mine detector thingys.

Why do you think it was on the surface Watson and not buried in the ground as is the more likely scenario?

Well Phil Ynysboeth has this theory about worms, he says Charles Darwin ........ (10 minutes later)

Very interesting Watson  Roll Eyes , any other theories

Well now you come to mention it , moles, now moles move ...... and of course don't forget the Magpies

Let me stop you there Holmes (thinking... If he comes up with the bloody Magpie theory one more time I am going to give him a good kicking), I have the answer, let us return.

Watson (thinking bloody know-all , he never listens to me, one of these days I'm going to shove that pipe up his jacksy and fan it with a bellows)

Right Watson lets look at the facts, Hedgehog has been to that field many times (20+) and has been unable to locate a hammered coin, is that correct?

Yes that is correct.

And yet he goes there today and finds one lying on the surface of an area that he has detected before?

Yes.... thinks (bigheaded dumbass I've already told you that!)

The answer is elementary my dear Watson and I shall explain

Watson thinks...( there he goes with the bloody "dear" again, patronising poofter)

Fact 1 , there is no mole activity on the field.
Fact 2. hedgehog has detected there many times before.
The area in which he was detecting did you notice anything regarding the grass nearby?

No . Watson thinks.... ( as usual out comes the big magnifying glass and will he let me have a go? No, selfish git)

Well it was interesting that not 18 inches away a small square of turf was growing grass in an east west direction yet the majority of the field grass grows in a north/south alignment. That suggests to me that a turf has been removed from that area to investigate what may be underneath. What does that suggest to you Watson?

That the magnetic forces of the earth and Watkins theory regarding ley lines......

5 minutes later ... Hmmm very interesting Watson, but not the answer I was looking for. Hedgehog dug that coin out on a previous visit, when he turned the clod over it dislodged the coin, on checking the hole hedgehog could not locate the find, the coin possibly landed on the grass in the area and stood on edge therefore making it almost impossible to locate. Since the coin has been on the surface for some time the resulting weather and sheep activity probably dislodged the coin hence it was lying flat on the surface when hedgehog went over the same area today.

You are so clever Holmes ... thinking (condescending b*******)

Elementary my dear Watson (as he was lighting his pipe)

Watson went to the fireplace and picked up the bellows..........

Feel free to finish the story  Grin

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:10:27 PM »

Great post Hedgehog - I think you have solved the riddle - all elementary really old bean!

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »

Hedgehog , you sure you aint been smoking Holmes's Crack pipe? Grin Grin Grin

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »

Nice story Steve. Anything,s possible and that is a very plausible Scenario. Just wondered like Rob said if perhaps you have been on the Marrakesh Express of story telling though.
trys
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »

Hedgehog , you sure you aint been smoking Holmes's Crack pipe? Grin Grin Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Grin
hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:22:32 PM »

Could have been those funny little mushrooms, I thought they were edible ,  it was a bit odd that sheep taking a dog for a walk on a lead  Cheesy Just off to pick some more.  Wink
simon c

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »

Well i know it's possible Steve,as i have had something similar happen to me,I went on a rally some time ago, towards the end of the day i had a signal which due to heavy rain and poor light i gave up on as it was a very faint one,a week later i was out on one of my own sites,took the spade still having red clay mud on from the week before,and started detecting,received a signal and recovered a penny while checking the find spot for anything else i got a second signal from a small lump of red clay on the surface as the soil here is a very grey colour it was obvious this was off my spade,so i checked the lump and found a Vicky farthing.Must have stuck to the spade the week before and ended up 100 miles away from where  i found it . Roll Eyes Any chance of borowing that crack pipe Grin
hedgehog
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »

WATSON !!!!

What is it Holmes?

Bloody Johnny foreigner has been on here expostulating their theories, who is this Poirot fellow?

A Belgian Holmes, private detective , very successful I believe

Has he been to the field? Has he looked at all of the evidence Watson?

Errrm. no Holmes he lives in Belgium!

Well if he had looked at the evidence he would know that Hedgehog puts important finds in his trouser pocket.

Would that be the one with the hole in Holmes?

Shut up Watson and pass the salve.

Do you want the pipe too?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(glad you had the courage to own up too Simon  Grin )

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal