Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
Today at 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie intro & looking for Minelab Sovereign for my wife's birthday  (Read 4208 times)
OTHAFA
Rally attendee

« on: March 09, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »

Hi all

After speaking with a few very helpful detectorists on the beach at Amroth (South Wales) over the last week my wife has decided she would like to take it up as a hobbie.

She has found an old (30+ years) Whites Beachcomber detector amongst her late father's things (he passed over 25 years ago). I will take a look at that for her but she would like a newer & better one for her 60th birthday in a few weeks.

After a chat with the guy and girls at Amroth, and a lot of research on the web, I believe a Minelab Sovereign would probably be best for her - she'll mainly be using it on the beach.

I'm open to other suggestions but if anyone has, or knows of anyone who has, a Sovereign for sale I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Bob
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »

hi and welcome to the site mate , why dont you get your wife to join also, because if you do want to come on a rally with us, both would have to be members , and we have had some cracking locations lately ,the guys on this site work very hard securing some very good locations for us ,there is also a wanted section and for sale section in the forum ,have a scrool through and see if there is anything suitable  Wink Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:53:16 PM by jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones » Logged

the mighty xp Deus
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »

Hi all

After speaking with a few very helpful detectorists on the beach at Amroth (South Wales) over the last week my wife has decided she would like to take it up as a hobbie.

She has found an old (30+ years) Whites Beachcomber detector amongst her late father's things (he passed over 25 years ago). I will take a look at that for her but she would like a newer & better one for her 60th birthday in a few weeks.

After a chat with the guy and girls at Amroth, and a lot of research on the web, I believe a Minelab Sovereign would probably be best for her - she'll mainly be using it on the beach.

I'm open to other suggestions but if anyone has, or knows of anyone who has, a Sovereign for sale I'd appreciate a heads up.

Welcome to the site

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Bob

Hi Bob, welcome to the site.
The Minelab Sovereign is a fantastic machine but not one I would recommend for a novice.
Why not take a look at the Minelab Safari. The Safari offers great performance on beach and land and will compete with most of the top machines currently available.

Hope you both get sorted soon, cos the Summer seems to be coming  Cool

If ring pulls and bottle tops were currency I would be a rich man
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

Welcome to the forum Bob.
I would have to disagree there Jeff the Sov is about as simple as they come while the Explorer series (Safari) has more options to possibly confuse, a novice has a learning curve either way but the Sov's isn't quite as steep.
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

Hi Bob, having owned a sovereign for ten years I personally recommend it as a simply machine to use and possible one of the best beach machines out there, I have recently moved on to the Deus but still miss my sovereign , your wife won't be disappointed  with the sovereign  Wink

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »

the sov is fairly simple to use otherwise i would not use one lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:31:19 PM »

the sov is fairly simple to use otherwise i would not use one lol
Doh, Why didn't I think of that  Grin Roll Eyes

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »

like father like son dad Cheesy

gold = loads lol
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:41:12 PM »

I just thought that futuristic threshold tone would drive a newbie crazy Shocked Tongue Huh

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »

its not futuristic lol more primitive

gold = loads lol
OTHAFA
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »

Thanks for all the advice, I've now bought my wife a Sovereign Elite, got a very good one with headphones and waist harness for £300, seemed to be a good price for a good machine.

Now I've just got to to get her all the other  paraphernalia, scoop, collection bag, shovel, books etc.

Only downside I can see it's that I'll have to buy AA batteries in bulk as the Minelab rechargeable packs are silly money.

Has anyone used a lightweight 12v motorcycle gel battery wired into the AA pack? It would be simple to make a battery belt bag to go with the control unit belt bag and use a coiled cable between them. AA battery pack could still be used with AA's if required.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »

Just use rechargeable AA's Huh
bristolminelab
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »

great machine , hope she  has some great finds.,DW rallies are great fun on very good sites Wink
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »

The Sovereign is great on the beach but is a hell of a weight, especially for a woman.

Make sure you get it belt mounted or she'll be flagging!  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal