Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Haunted' Llantwit Major castle back on the market  (Read 1891 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: September 29, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »

Courtesy of BBC online 29th September 2010

A 'haunted' castle which was pulled from auction in 2006 is set to go back on the open market. Llantwit Major Castle is believed to be haunted by the ghost of a Dutch sailor. The crumbling ruins of the 16th Century Llantwit Major Castle, also known as Old Place, were put up for sale by the Vale of Glamorgan Council. But the process was called off after Cadw which is responsible for listed buildings in Wales demanded more talks. Now the council is planning to sell the monument once again.

The building has been unoccupied since the 18th Century and local legend has it that it is inhabited by the ghost of a Dutch sailor. The Grade II listed building attracted interest from all over the world last time it was up for sale. But Cadw wanted options for a possible repair of the derelict site to be explored in more detail. Its future is now up for discussion at a meeting of the Vale of Glamorgan council's cabinet on Wednesday.

A report before councillors states: "At the present time, several factors have led to the intention to sell the site.

"Firstly, the 2009 resurvey of the building has indicated that insufficient financial resource would be available in the foreseeable future to undertake intermediate repairs and to consolidate the ruin to a condition which would allow public access and interpretation.

"Secondly, in recent years attitudes to the renovation and repair of standing ruins and encouragement of their reuse (for uses such as residential), has become more positive in outlook."

The council is hoping the building can be repaired and reused by a single new owner but has concerns about a lack of vehicle access into the site, the need to protect the remains and the limited area available for parking.

A development brief suggest just one house could be built there, possibly with an extension for elderly parents, office use or home working.

Planners have drawn up strict guidelines about any future conversion or redevelopment.

The castle is protected by law and its owner would need to consult with Cadw before selling the building.

Rob Thomas, the Vale's head of planning and transportation said: "The council is seeking to dispose of the premises as it is considered that this is the most beneficial way to ensure its long term retention and re-use.

"A brief has been prepared to guide potential purchasers as to what use the site can be put to.

"It is premature to consider the issue of price as this is a matter that will need to be considered once the site is marketed."

The 16th Century castle was built in 1596 by Griffith Williams of Candleston for his son-in-law Edmund Van.

It is thought it was abandoned as a house in the early 18th Century, and later fell into ruin.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »

Well I know one thing Neil and that is it will not be me buying it. The time it has taken me to do a double bungalow means I would probably be 250 years old before I finished it.
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »

No no no i dont want to buy it i hate bloody ghost,  Roll Eyes  but maybe a good investisment for murder mysteries  hummmm .

Nordine

bonne chance

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal