Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Panic' as dog nearly thrown grenade to chase on Dovercourt beach  (Read 2165 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 18, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »

A woman has spoken of the moment she inadvertently picked up a wartime grenade while throwing stones for her dog to chase on a beach.

Clair Watson was playing with Bonnie at Dovercourt, Essex, on Sunday when she realised one pebble felt odd.

"I turned it around in my hand and realised it wasn't a stone, it was some sort of grenade because the top of it had a pin," she said.

"I panicked a bit because I thought 'if this goes off, I'm in trouble'."

Mrs Watson, 41, from Clacton, said: "I gently put it back down in the sand and kept my dog away from it.

"I said to another dog walker, 'Have you got a phone - I need to phone the police?'."

Clair Watson said she found the corroded grenade on Dovercourt beach
Shortly afterwards bomb disposal experts arrived and sealed off the area before taking the World War Two grenade away for detonation.

"It was quite scary and surreal. I was holding something that was technically extremely dangerous," said Mrs Watson.

The grenade was the fifth to be washed up in the area in the past five weeks.

Another grenade, found near West End Lane in Harwich on Saturday, was detonated by experts.

Three others were found near Lower Marine Parade in the town on 12 July.

The corroded grenade still had its pin in it
Essex Police said a sunken wartime crate may have been disturbed, causing the grenades to appear on the beach.

The force initially reported that a man had been seen throwing the grenade on the beach, but a spokeswoman said no criminal investigation was taking place.

She advised beach-goers to be careful and said anyone who saw any suspicious items on Essex beaches should not touch them, but call the police.

* _77013610_harwichgrenade.jpg (66.77 KB, 624x351 - viewed 474 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
roaljodaka
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »

I found one of them many yrs ago in an old junk shop, i bought it and had it in my van for yrs lol, pulled the pin a few times but didn't have the guts to let go, then worked with an ex soldier who used to go to the falklands to collect old grenades and that like and detonate them, i told him my story and he asked did i still have it? i said yes and took it in to work the next day, i then showed it him and he did not hang around long as last i heard flint police station was evacuated  Grin Grin Grin Grin, never did hear anymore  Cheesy Cheesy 
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

BOOM  BABY Huh Huh Cheesy

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »

Great story good read

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal