Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Ancient' Christian silver cross exposed as a 19th century FAKE  (Read 3559 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »

The Chi Rho amulet was believed to be the earliest evidence of Christian worship, but has been proven as a fake!

Since its dramatic discovery in a Roman burial site, this silver cross was hailed as the earliest evidence of Christian worship in Britain.

It quickly became an enduring symbol of the early faith, with religious figures queuing up to wear it.

However, the silver pendant, once thought to be at least 1,600 years old, was yesterday revealed as a fake.

Using a new technique to determine its age, scientists discovered it was made using 19th century silver.

The results of the tests are likely to prove embarrassing to historians who claimed its discovery in an early-5th century Roman cemetery was evidence that the Christian faith had become more widespread in Britain earlier than was originally thought.

The find in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, in 1990 put the town on the archaeological map. The town's leaders named their theatre the Amulet.

A replica twice the size of the original was presented to Dr George Carey, the then Bishop of Bath and Wells in 1990.

He wore it when he was enthroned as Archbishop of Canterbury in 1991.

Markings on the 1.75in disc are that of Chi Rho  -  an early Christian symbol incorporating the first two letters of Christ's name in Greek.

It was discovered in a coffin buried at the site of a Roman village during excavations for a drinks warehouse.

The Chi Rho amulet was immediately thought to come from the same period as the grave it was found in.

But questions over its authenticity were raised when scientists from the University of Liverpool examined the piece as part of a programme of work involving the analysis of Roman silver coins housed in Somerset County Museum.

They were able to analyse the composition of the amulet in more detail than was previously possible.

Two samples of metal taken from the disc were found to be consistent with silver produced in the 19th century, or even later.

They also found that the silver disc and adjoining rivet had been constructed using silver from different sources.

Peter Leach, who led the archaeology team from Birmingham University during the excavation in 1990, said he did not suspect that any of his team were responsible for planting the hoax.

'I obviously did think it was genuine at the time. There was never any doubt about its provenance. It was in a genuine Roman burial.'

Mr Leach suggested that opponents to the development may have planted the amulet to make the site more historically significant with the aim of halting the work.

'It was presented to the then Bishop of Bath and Wells and he always wore it, which is slightly embarrassing,' he added.

The silver cross changed the way historians viewed Christianity in Britain when it was found almost 20 years ago in a coffin buried in a Roman village
Jeanette Marsh, deputy leader of Shepton Mallet Town Council, said the hoax felt like the 'magic had been removed' from the town.

Stephen Minnitt, Somerset County Council's museums chief, said: 'The council can confirm that the artefact is almost certainly not the rare Christian artefact it was first believed to be.'

* article-1057648-02B486F200000578-410_468x373.jpg (46.46 KB, 468x373 - viewed 811 times.)

* article-1057648-02B486EA00000578-706_233x330.jpg (24.86 KB, 233x330 - viewed 1105 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »

LOL this article is nearly as old as the cross. "Yesterday" was in 2008 Cheesy
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »

Give me some credit - Chef - you go to expect the odd historical article. You are out by a year 2009! Grin

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Oh and I'm not a year out, it was discovered to be a fake in September 2008 Wink
jtalbot0001

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

Well if it makes Neil feel any better this is the first time I've heard of this, good story but what a shame.

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal