Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic  (Read 4831 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: March 28, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »

Thank god the weekends here, its been a busy week need to recharge the batteries and I don't mean the Deus Grin yesterday I had 6 hrs in a another field belonging to another farm but next to the field I last posted, these finds also came from a south slope. Another Duro stater popped up and in better condition than the last one, not so debased Smiley the brooch is a T brooch from 1st-2nd century, a few grots as normal with exception to the 2 nicer condition coins one being a better than average of Allectus, well from this site anyway. What do you reckon on the broken bracelet  Undecided early Roman or Celtic, I have my thoughts Wink one small coin that is of interest is on finds ID as I would like your opinion. Wink

* 001.JPG (54.15 KB, 448x336 - viewed 165 times.)

* 002.JPG (51.56 KB, 448x336 - viewed 156 times.)

* 003.JPG (54.29 KB, 448x336 - viewed 146 times.)

* 005.JPG (45.75 KB, 448x336 - viewed 181 times.)

* 015.JPG (30.42 KB, 448x336 - viewed 256 times.)

* 016.JPG (30.42 KB, 448x336 - viewed 579 times.)

* 004.JPG (79.13 KB, 448x336 - viewed 673 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »

Great finds, again, Paul and yet another Celtic coin. 

I look at the occasional field pic you post and wonder,  are they all like that ??  and how would you fare with deep loam pasture ??  or do you have some anyway.

Val

p.s. wont guess on the bracelet, I always get it wrong. (but I think it's Celtic)  shhhh   Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »

Great finds, again, Paul and yet another Celtic coin. 

I look at the occasional field pic you post and wonder,  are they all like that ??  and how would you fare with deep loam pasture ??  or do you have some anyway.

Val

p.s. wont guess on the bracelet, I always get it wrong. (but I think it's Celtic)  shhhh   Grin

I got to say Val, most of my fields are arable and get on them when rolled and seeded. I do have some pasture but do not like deep loam detecting despite some nice finds that some people make. I reckon it's early if not Celtic early Roman  Wink
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »

Very nice Paul... Very nice indeed.  Shocked
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »

Very nice Paul... Very nice indeed.  Shocked
Cheers Mark, just shows when you  concentrate on a different part of a field and spend time gridding it , what can turn up. Smiley
colin

dig everything

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »

Fantastic finds again spikey you got some great land and a mixture of coins & artefacts
Well done love the stater  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »

Fantastic finds again spikey you got some great land and a mixture of coins & artefacts
Well done love the stater  Wink
Thanks Colin, I to love the celtic period  especially the coinage, little works of art, Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »

Bracelets are very difficult to tie down to a certain date as "they work" and so don't change that much most that are accurately dated have come from a stratified deposit but the rule of thumb is the flatter in section they are the later they are, if you look on PAS you'll find examples very similar to yours with the dot and ring and diagonal edge some dating to 43 AD with the majority just saying "late Roman" so the experts can't even agree Undecided
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »

Very nice again - would love to find even one stater of any metal, let alone two!

Very nice Allectus too - is the ship reverse Quinarius or some other reverse (and then an Antoninianus)?
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »

That's it iv had enough, im moving a Wiltshire!! Cheesy Grin

Paul can you do a pic of the reverse side of the silver stater, so I can see the type plz while I go out and get some new batteries for my machine, im off out after seeing that lot  Cheesy Wink

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »

Bracelets are very difficult to tie down to a certain date as "they work" and so don't change that much most that are accurately dated have come from a stratified deposit but the rule of thumb is the flatter in section they are the later they are, if you look on PAS you'll find examples very similar to yours with the dot and ring and diagonal edge some dating to 43 AD with the majority just saying "late Roman" so the experts can't even agree Undecided
I never heard of that rule of thumb Geoff so thanks for that, I just feel this one might be an earlier one but hey if the experts struggle to date then I will Cheesy 43 AD is ok for me so I will go with that for now Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »

Paul can you do a pic of the reverse side of the silver stater, so I can see the type plz while I go out and get some new batteries for my machine, im off out after seeing that lot  Cheesy Wink

Just putting a picture up Dale of the reverse of the stater, Wink and I have only just noticed there appears to be some green corrosion on the coin Huh it looks like it may have been in contact with another coin in the ground at some time as it seems to be on the surface Huh and not from the coin it self as I know this coin is debased, what's your thoughts are any one else's for that matter........is it wishful thinking re a possible hoard Shocked Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 06:09:39 PM »

That's got your juices going then Dale,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes get that machine fired up or........it will think you don't love it any more Wink Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 06:12:39 PM »

That's got your juices going then Dale,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes get that machine fired up or........it will think you don't love it any more Wink Wink

Hahaha Cheesy

Paul do you get the Treasure Hunting mag? if so check out pages 68 / 69
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 06:18:24 PM »

Mmmmm it's definantly verdigris, do you reckon it just mite be then Dale Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal