Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow or not too slow; that is the question?  (Read 4907 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: December 15, 2014, 04:25:29 AM »

Being the brand new owner of a MineLab Safari, I am chaffing at the bit and rearing to run the little beauty over one of my permissions where the EuroAce/Nel Tornado combination has been recovering loads of finds all season.

On my last visit, I found very little and it is starting to look as though the EuroAce will not be able to leech much more out of the ground before the site is closed to me. I'm hoping that the Safari will produce the goodies that I have been missing with the EuroAce but am curious about the speed of my swing whilst using the Safari. I am well aware that low and slow is the best when using any detector and usually swing to the count of "one and" with any of my detectors.

A recent comment, on an other site, declared that the Safari will miss items if you swing it too slow, but isn't that the case with any metal detector?  Undecided

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:09:53 AM »

Its generally if you swing too fast you will miss targets.

No one can tell you how to detect m8. Go out and learn the machine's manner find out what it will do.

Sarfari has a very good name, not as good as my Deus or se pro though LOL

Grin
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »

A recent comment, on an other site, declared that the Safari will miss items if you swing it too slow, but isn't that the case with any metal detector?  Undecided

I use both the EXP 2 and e trac . Slow sweep speed is never an issue and good finds can come from it as recovery time between multiple targets is actually lmproved. 
Some people complain about the minelabs recovery speed but used correctly it will deliver the goods. Take your time and really learn the tones and im sure there's plenty of good advice available if you need it.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »

Manny thanks for your replies folks.  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
hoover-G

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »

I use both methods off swings never had any issues!! Been using the minelab xs for years and I know it well. There is times when I know my machine is saying it can't keep up so slow down a touch, also trashy sites I'm very low and slow!! I never however swing and push beyond what it can't handle. It is how you want too detect mate learn that machine! Still after these years off using this minelab xs I still now and then like too find a nice quiet area and I lay items down too test the recovery and depth just too makesure my machine is still upto scratch. "Try it yourself swing over it fast , slow, low, high, approach diffrent angles at diffrent speeds. Wish you all the best anyway the more you put in the more you get out..
After using my new woodlands headphones from chef for the first time yesterday I can honesty say there's a big difference. Wink Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »

Argh; who mentioned ChefPhones. I put a set of Blacks at the top of my Christmas list for use with my EuroAce and CS4PI and they are sat under the Christmas tree waiting for Christmas day. I wasn't too concerned because a set of head phones would come free with the detector package. Opens new phones that came with the detector and they are left phone wired, not as snug as ChefPhones, and when I place the detector on the ground it almost pulls the phones from my head. Oh, and no volume control on the new phones.

The phones were free with the package, so I can hardly complain! They are just as comfortable if I turn them round and I suppose I can easily get a short jumper lead to give me a little more length.

Pardon the pun, but I haven't used the machine in the field just yet and am waiting for this wet weather to slacken off a bit. I did manage to get the supplier throw in a free control box cover and that fits nice and snugly over the control box so a bit of drizzle shouldn't be a problem.

Many thanks for your reply and the advice.  Smiley

hoover-G

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »

Ah you can't beat abit off unpredictable British weather poncho on and away.  Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »

Chris, nothing to say you can't use Chefs phones on the Safari.  I'm sure he'll tell you if they're not compatible.  You wont blow them up if you try.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »

Aaaah Val; the wife has them under high security till Christmas day. I will be able to use the blacks on the Safari but they are not the best choice for the machine.  I have thought of swapping the head phones over and hoping the wife will not notice the swap! Hmmm.  Undecided

Weather wise, it looks like Wednesday morning will offer a few dry hours in the morning so I'm planning on taking the Safari out for the morning on the building site/sports ground and seeing if it can pick up some items that I have missed with the EuroAce Tornado setup. I have been reading the handbook by Andy Sabisch for a few months now and have also been watching videos on tinternet. Along with the advice that you have given me, I will be well armed to make my first start on Wednesday. 

ps; I have no problems with ChefPhones; I just can't get me hand on the ones that I already have!  Roll Eyes

jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »

as long as you go nice and slow and try keeping the coil to the soil (grass) Smiley all minelabs are the same if you go to fast the processor doesnt pic the signal up as quick as other machines but if you take your time youll find the items good luck mate

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »

Thanks Jason; Chris (Dungbeetle) drummed it into me " keep it low and slow and keep the coil flat at the end of the sweep". Advice that has served me well with the EuroAce and the CS4PI.

Val has also pointed out that you have to give the Safari's multi frequency system time to perform it's full functions. Only practice is going to help me now but at least I have taken on board loads of advice and I know that I can lean on you good folks if I start to stall in any way. Pete at Joan Allen, their technical guy, said that he is always available for advice and support.

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 06:58:33 PM »

And don't let the coil lift at each end of the swing.  Best advice is just get out there and do you're own thing.  Experience is always the best teacher. 

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
GJH

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »

I tend to find more later in the day, perhaps it's because of getting tired which makes me slow down.
Geoff
ancientpat

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »

I have been following the "slow and low" debate and for me it does work. I use a Minelab SE pro and I have just counted up my small finds as an illustration. So far 2 Cut Quarters, 21 Cut halves and 7 round silver farthings. I rest my case !!

Pat  Wink Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »

I tend to find more later in the day, perhaps it's because of getting tired which makes me slow down.
Geoff

A very interesting observation; well made.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal