Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Day 2 with the Explorer II  (Read 5865 times)
hedgehog
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »

Read the booklet and found out how to get Kevin's programme back on, batteries had been charging overnight, went to a different field for a few hours. Haven't got a clue what I'm doing just took the threshold down so that it wasn't humming in my ear and dug two ways again. Found the big silver and then just a bit further along out came the tiny hammy, this was ferrous 12 conductivity 1 so I didn't expect silver, but pleased to see that tiny coin and dispelled my thoughts on finding tiny hammies. About an hour later up came the broken one, same figures.
Found the lead token on the surface, but no big signal like it would be with other detectors I have owned , is this normal?
sodbuster
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »

Hammered coins I have found with my explorer generally give low signals 9/10 on the readout . I put the low conductivity  to be because the coin is so thin . I was out on Sunday and found quite a bit of lead the respose I was getting was similar to iron but a higher and sharper tone .
( I hunt with only nails descriminated .)  If you are getting a lot of flutey noises try using semi- auto on the sensitivity setting , if that doesn't work you need to drop the sensitivity a bit .
StumbledUpon

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:54:58 PM »

Excellent result Hedgehog with your new machine, its a bit different from the T2, but its grows on you, There are so many different programs you can use. There will always be one to suit everyone. Took me 8month+ to get to grips with it. I use Neil Jones' No Gain without Pain program. Let me know when your ready to give it a go. Grin Grin Grin
simon c

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

Well done Steve,perceviere you'll get the hang of it  Cheesy,Explorers are very different to other detectors,make sure you leave the T2 at home or every time you get frustrated with the Explorer you'll be reaching for the T2 Grin
trys
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »

Glad to see your already finding hammered with your new machine!  :)Will be very interested to see if your finding things on areas you've already hit with the T2. Good luck with it Wink
romano-brit

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »

you dont have the threshhold on? cant go without mine, lets you no if uve hit an iron infested patch of ground, also lets u put it up or down according to the conditions of the field

give it a few months and youll not be looking at the screen, theres only 3 main buttons u need on the box, the power, noise cancel and pinpoint all the rest are a waste of time

nice finds by the way

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »

Nice finds Steve. I've just bought a used Exp II as well believe it or not, my first time ever with a Minelab. I used it for a couple of hours at the Scan Club rally last Sunday, and didn't find it too bad, but like you didn't really know what I was doing at first. Found pinpointing to be OK, but also noticed there was no difference in the loudness of the signal even when the find was on the surface.

Had another go on the lawn at home this evening and testing the response to various targets, and I think I'm starting to make sense of what I'm hearing. The only find from the lawn was a bit of foil, but there again it's already been scoured by three other detectors. Did notice a lot of iron nulling, though, and I was already aware there was a lot of junk in the garden.

I'll probably crank the settings up fairly soon and try and get used to a program like Neil's.
Maxine - is that the one Neil posted on the Minelabowners forum?, which is this:

DETECTOR MODE: Advanced
SENSITIVITY FUNCTION: Manual
SENSITIVITY VALUE: 18-32 (adjust to high as possible while remaining stable)
THRESHOLD: 7
DISCRIMINATION FUNCTION: Smart
IRON MASK VALUE: -15
DISPLAY TYPE: Smart
AUDIO VOLUME GAIN: 8
AUDIO VOLUME max limit: 10
AUDIO TONE, TH. TONE LOWEST: 1
AUDIO TONE, Variability: 10
AUDIO TONE, Limits: 9
AUDIO SOUNDS: CONDUCT
OPTIONS RESPONSE: audio 3
RECOVERY FAST: Off
RECOVERY DEEP: On
StumbledUpon

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »

Very similar, the one I have off Neil, has a few adjustments. I rang Neil up because the Threshold did'nt seem right on that one. He kindly went through the whole program with me and explained a few points. Grin
StumbledUpon

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »

I will write down the program I have, and post it in the minelab program section. Smiley
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »

NICE ONE HADGEHOG    GOOD TO SEE THE FINDS ARE STARTING TO COME BUD ,,,, IM THE SAME  WITH MY NEW XS  IT ALL TAKES TIME BUD  BUT IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE END  ,,,,, WELL DONE  Grin Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
StumbledUpon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »

It was important for me to use the explorer with no ironmask,as I know you will miss targets with any amount.The way I finally got to understand mine was swapping between Beach/land, Heavy discrimination on the beach so my ears could get accoustomed to high tones, 2p £1 pe-decimals ect, then land no discrim, the hardest targets to get to know are the high non ferrous and iron, using this method I eventually was able to pick the high good tones from the iron. Grin takes awhile.
hedgehog
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »

Thanks for the advice Maxine, I see there are no explorer programmes posted yet so it would be welcome and any good advice too! It definitely won't replace the T2 , but I do have a choice now on which detector to use, they are total opposites in the way they work . I wanted the explorer to get that little extra depth.
If anyone else has programmes and advice and could put it on the minelab programmes that would be great.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »

Also have a look at mlotv.com there are some great clips on there, Look at
Neil Jones' Advanced Etrac Program Explained Part 2, this will be the same for the Ex 2, No iron mask/ conduct sounds. Smiley
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »

the answer is HEDGEHOG, have a word with the master BORDERFOX he will put a program in for you or COLEGGWENT 2 of the top detecrists around  Wink
hedgehog
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »

I know kev, I know and their finds speak volumes. Was wondering what the difference is between the progs. but your advice of slow and low is a good start.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal