Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Last search!!!  (Read 5848 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 09:03:06 AM »

"  I did ask if we could share the field but he was reluctant and told me he was fed up being phoned with people asking to search,   something I never have done and don’t particularly agree with anyway, much better to go face to face"

I fail to see how stopping you detecting his land,is going to stop phone calls,im guessing there is no "friend"

I see nothing wrong in ringing to ask for permission,your not trying to sell him/her anything .
would you rather all the cold calls you get on the phone were replaced with cold call door visits?
I think not Wink

Yes I did wonder if it was an excuse to let me down gently re the friend??....30 years of detecting says you do better face to face, first impressions go along way, farmers and landowners in my experience prefer it, I have gained ground to search on numerous occasions despite detectorist's ringing them, and them saying no. I also know of a detectorist's who spends a lot of time phone calling with very little result, that said each to there own ,it just takes that one successful permission and your in Wink Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »

I'm with you there Paul, I've always gone door knocking never had a refusal Wink
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »

I get most of my permissions by phone between myself and my detecting buddies we have a good 5000 acres

The problem with Wiltshire is detector clubs from other areas are trying to move in on the area usually offering the farmers cash. Angry

The Marlborough downs been a good example

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »

I get most of my permissions by phone between myself and my detecting buddies we have a good 5000 acres

The problem with Wiltshire is detector clubs from other areas are trying to move in on the area usually offering the farmers cash. Angry

The Marlborough downs been a good example

Fair comment relichunting, each to there own, you have obviously had good success..  I have heard that about cash offers to farmers in that area by clubs. Wink Wink Wink Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »

I'm with you there Paul, I've always gone door knocking never had a refusal Wink

I'm sure I could show you a few farmers who would turn you down if you asked....!
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

trouble with door knocking ,is fuel costs .....and still get plenty of refusals

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
alun

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »

I agree that first impressions count, as I asked another farm last week, but firstly was met with a refusal.But after explaining that my son and I detect another farm locally, he did ask the name of the farm. It turned out it was a family member, and then agreed to permission as long as we call into the farm first.
Lucky I know but you never know if you don,t ask.
I am currently working on a local development which has 16th century history, hopefully pass it onto DW for a rally prior to development. Who knows!
 Keep asking buddy, but remember its their lively hood, and our hobby.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal