Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: poaching land  (Read 4571 times)
stickygreen

« on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »

Is it the same for detectorists as it is for hunters?
Would you get annoyed if i asked for permission on land that you have already aquired and the land owner told me someone already had permission but allowed me on.
I know a few hunters and they tell me this sort of thing is a no no.

When you don't know where you're going,  any road will get you there.
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »

At the end of the day it's up to the land owner, we are all guests on his land, so it is his decision. It is however very bad etiquette to be invited to detect on land with a friend / aquaintence / group then to go behind their back and secure rights from the same land owner for yourself.  Wouldn't you think so ?

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
digger

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »

It,s the farmers land not an individual detectorist.If the farmer says it,s O.K. with him,I say
get stuck in. My opinion only,maybe this sensitive issue should be brought out for all to
discuss. Other opinions please. Digger
stickygreen

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

I have one site and my freind and i are the only ones ever to have detected there and it is very good.personally it wouldnt bother me but i woulnt advertise it to other detectorists Grin

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »

I have permissions that other people hunt on and it doesn't worry me as I don't know them and they (as far as I know) don't know me, I think the problem could arise when you knowingly seek permission on land that is being detected by someone you know.
I, thankfully, have never had this happen and would take a dim view if people were seeking permission based on my finds.
There is very little virgin land around worth detecting but a great deal of land that is worth re-detecting, 99% of my permissions have been hunted in years gone by, but this hasn't stopped me finding, though it does make you wonder just how much would have been there 30 years ago.
stickygreen

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »

I have permissions that other people hunt on and it doesn't worry me as I don't know them and they (as far as I know) don't know me, I think the problem could arise when you knowingly seek permission on land that is being detected by someone you know.
I, thankfully, have never had this happen and would take a dim view if people were seeking permission based on my finds.
There is very little virgin land around worth detecting but a great deal of land that is worth re-detecting, 99% of my permissions have been hunted in years gone by, but this hasn't stopped me finding, though it does make you wonder just how much would have been there 30 years ago.

What if i was stuggling for permission of my own and asked you first if you would mind if i asled for permission on your land?

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

Not a problem, I have confidence in my detecting that I will still find something and regardless of how thorough my search is (which it isn't lol) I know I would miss things, so why not let people detect it.
Most people who have detected with me over here have at some time found hammered or Roman coins, and while at  times I'm green with envy, I get a great feeling in knowing they've had a great day out.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »

Oh And one saving grace I have is that all the finds are shown to the farmer and he gets back a good 99% of them, so they stay with the land. They are all returned with a Pass record sheet, which has helped me gain land and it makes me a hard act to follow, as one farmer put it to me a few weeks a go "I don't mind you detecting as your almost official" Cheesy
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »

Any one wishing to give me the name and address of the farmers for your best sites feel free  Grin

Thanks in advance  Grin

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
win

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »

I would never go behing someone's back to get permission after they had taken me to one of their farms. I had this happen to me and I still laugh about it as the so&so I had taken went back about a week later on his own , didn't even ask the farmer..The farm was a council holding and it had changed hands during the week. He got a right mouthful from the new farmer and kicked off, best of all he then comes back to me and complains as if its my fault. He's probably reading this, I'm still laughing. Never been back to the farm, probably well lost now, but worth the laugh.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:33 PM »

I personally would take a very dim view of such behaviour.
Not very nice and someone who'd never be trusted again.

I agree about it being the farmers decision but I've had farmers tell me that there's someone else who has detecting rights there
so they have an understanding of fairness and I understand and respect that attitude. If it was a free for all then there will be people
who just sit back and wait until permission has been acquired by someone then move in to feather their own nest so to speak, which also brings
up the aspect of behaviour and respecting the land 'you' have gained permission for.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
stickygreen

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »

I asked permission for land where there had been a castle in the 1100s and nobody said anything about other dectectorists,but a guy who works at a shop put something in my boot and saw my detector which got us chatting and it turns out we have permission on the same land,he had it first but he didnt say anything but he did ask if he could go with me sometime as he doesnt know anyone else that does it.

stickygreen

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »

Not my welly boot my car boot.

ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »

I asked permission for land where there had been a castle in the 1100s and nobody said anything about other dectectorists,but a guy who works at a shop put something in my boot and saw my detector which got us chatting and it turns out we have permission on the same land,he had it first but he didnt say anything but he did ask if he could go with me sometime as he doesnt know anyone else that does it.

Not a problem with this. I recently found I share several farms with a detectorist friend, but these permissions were gained on my own, not by 'deliberately poaching' land
which is what the heading of the thread is about.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
daz

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »

i have had permission on land for 3 years now,the land owner gave permission to someone else recently and asked me if i minded.theres 600 odd acres so theres plenty to go round.i havnt bumped into him yet,but to be honest it would be nice to meet them and have a chat and swap stories.you never know they could be a fellow dw member,as long they fill in there holes so i dont get the blame for it lol

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal