Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Medal find triggers hunt for Peterborough war hero  (Read 1535 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: March 22, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »

Published on Wednesday 21 March 2012 17:15

A TREASURE hunter who discovered a historic medal belonging to a Peterborough war hero is appealing for his family to come forward to claim the honour.

The medal, which belonged to First World War soldier Private Frederick Quartermain, was uncovered in a remote field in Wiltshire by metal detecting enthusiast Brian Newton-Smith (55).

Now he is trying to locate Private Quartermain’s family to return the medal.

Mr Newton-Smith, who lives near Bournemouth, said: “Three years ago, I was out on farmland in Broad Chalk, Wiltshire with a metal detecting club when I came across a silver war badge.

“I put it in a box and forgot about it – but recently found it again, and thought it would be nice to try to track down the owner.

“I have done some research, and using a registration number on the back of the medal found it belonged to Private FG Quartermain, who enlisted at the Long Causeway Recruiting Office in Peterborough, on 6 January, 1915.

“He was embedded overseas with the 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, but was wounded at some point in December 1915 or January 1916, and his wounds were reported in The Times on January 31, 1916.

“I think he was possibly injured when a shell landed in his quarters on January 14, 1916.

“He was given the medal to show he was injured.”

Private Quartermain suffered injuries to both legs and his forearm, and even had to have his left leg amputated at Bradford War Hospital.

Mr Newton-Smith’s research has also revealed Private Quartermain married twice, and had two children with his second wife, Emma Lavina, and that he also had five brothers, who fought in the war.

According to a report in the Peterborough Advertiser, Private Quartermain was listed as living in Thornhaugh.

Mr Newton-Smith said: “I believe his first wife died, and he remarried Emma.

“His last known whereabouts before he enlisted was in Ilfracombe in Devon, where he was living in 1911.

“I have tried people in Ilfracombe to see if I can track down his family, but have had no luck.

“It would be fantastic to get in touch with his family, and give them the medal.”

Despite being a member of a number of metal detector clubs, Mr Newton-Smith said he had never found anything as significant as the medal before.

He said: “I have found a few army badges and buttons, but nothing that can be traced back to anyone else.

“I had forgotten about the badge, but found it in a box, and decided to do something about it.

“I have also found out Private Quartermain was born in Hampshire, just a few miles from where I live now.”

Anyone with information should contact The Evening Telegraph on 01733 588720 or email news@peterboroughtoday.co.uk

Factfile: Pte Frederick Quartermain

Private Frederick Quartermain’s remarkable story, including dramatic escapes from injury before suffering serious wounds, was reported in the February 19, 1916 edition of the Peterborough Advertiser, with his photograph being published one week later.

The report stated:

THORNHAUGH PRIVATE’S LEG AMPUTATED

“Pte F.G. Quartermain, 2nd Northants, of Thornhaugh, who was badly wounded in both legs and forearm, and whose left leg had to be amputated, writes from Bradford War Hospital that he is getting on well, and speaks of the kindness of nurses and visitors to the hospital.

One of five brothers all doing war work, he enlisted in January 1915, and went to France early in May, where he experienced several narrow escapes, on one occasion the front of his cap being shot through with a bullet.

Pte Quartermain has another brother in France, whom he was hoping to meet, while another brother has been mentioned in dispatches for exceptional abilities at Gallipoli.”
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:43 AM »

great post kev great story

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal