Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Challenge To Mr Paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants Esquire!!!!  (Read 6578 times)
Spooyt Vane
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »

I  know what most detectorists think of Mr the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants and comments in his blog on our hobby...There is quite a few detectorists who are annoyed about his unjustified attacks on the hobby...My challenge is face to face meeting with Mr the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants ,myself and top officiials of Manx Natiional Heritage in  the Manx Museum.Isle-of Man.....No blogs,e.mail,letters,just plain talking ..I promise that i will treat him with due respect and i hope the same back..At your convience Mr the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants...Next time your back in this country...maybe??  Rob Farrer Smiley
carling

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »

i dont see the point,, hes got his views , {no matter how misguided they may be} and everyone is a entitled to a opinion,,i dont agree with attcking individuals in the tectin  world and singling them out for bad grammar thats just childish but opinions on the hobbby in general, well not everyone is a tectin fan are they.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

i dont see the point,, hes got his views , {no matter how misguided they may be} and everyone is a entitled to a opinion,,i dont agree with attcking individuals in the tectin  world and singling them out for bad grammar thats just childish but opinions on the hobbby in general, well not everyone is a tectin fan are they.

There is a point as the general public ,historians and archeologists read his blog and he has said recently that after generations of looking at the hobby,he still does not undersatand it..But i would like him back up his claim that milions of artefacts have been removed out of context by detectorists..
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »

Huh Well over 40 years they probably have
carling

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

show me a tectorist that digs something up and puts it back where it came from and i,ll show you a non tectorist Grin,, as for the general public reading his blog there mostly anti metal detecting  anyway that who reads his blogs oh and tectorists of course,,,,,,i never heard of him till he slagged me off Grin.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:51:53 PM by carling » Logged
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »

Geoff i expected better out of you.....I have beenj in the hobby nearly 40 yrs and barring modern  finds lost on leisure sites..99.9 PERCENT OF MY FINDS ARE OUT OF THEIR ORIGINAL CONTEXT.....i have been countrywide and had the same experience of artefacts out of context.
carling

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »

think some people take detecting to seriously,, what is context anyway? ,, how do we know that the dinari find of tommorow was not found 300 years ago by a farm labourer and dropped soon after???,, do we know how much the land cultivation moves objects about?.,,if your on about digging stuff up that is surrounded by other stuff then you should get a ear bashing off the archis as your going below the plough level Grin 
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »

bonne chance with the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants.  Cheesy
alun

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »

Good Rob luck nice to have your point across , Had a run in with him about pasture land that was being cleared for a wind farm (now completely snuffed out), had the opportunity to detect the area prior to the onslaught , also proved a very active medieval area and a long house which have been duly noted with Glamorgan Gwent Archaeologists.Bit of self praise there i know but nothing we do will be right. Respect to you for having a go anyways.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
carling

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »

just think its mental going on about finds in context ,, many accounts were written by 18th c antiquarians about finding coins and objects on sites,{they obviously didnt leave em there,and im sure some of these finds made there way back into the ground at some point,,,kenchester is herefordshire is a good point,, farm labourers there in the 17th-18thc found so much roman coinage they called em fairy coins  Smiley,,and im sure its been the same througout the ages ,,,medi peeps must have found loads of roman bits with the start of land drainage and mass cultivation.. so is paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants right ? , is spooty vane right? who knows ,, listen peeps just enjoy the hobby for what it is and if it makes a noise ,, dig it  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:56:52 AM by carling » Logged
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »

Geoff i expected better out of you.....I have beenj in the hobby nearly 40 yrs and barring modern  finds lost on leisure sites..99.9 PERCENT OF MY FINDS ARE OUT OF THEIR ORIGINAL CONTEXT.....i have been countrywide and had the same experience of artefacts out of context.

I'm sorry Rob but I've been detecting for a similar length as yourself and to say that no finds are taken out of context is as bad as the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants saying they all are.
I remember one particular excavation on a Roman settlement site that had been detecting for many years, as the Roman ground surface was reached you could see lots of smallish brown spots, these were the results of items being dug from this ground layer and topsoil leaving the evidence.
Without digging a hole and looking at the section both above and below your find horizon then you have no idea if the find is in or out of context.
Yes the vast majority probably are out of context due to ploughing but you can't make a blanket statement without evidence because the Archi's have site records that will prove otherwise Wink
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »

I'm sorry Rob but I've been detecting for a similar length as yourself and to say that no finds are taken out of context is as bad as the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants saying they all are.
I remember one particular excavation on a Roman settlement site that had been detecting for many years, as the Roman ground surface was reached you could see lots of smallish brown spots, these were the results of items being dug from this ground layer and topsoil leaving the evidence.
Without digging a hole and looking at the section both above and below your find horizon then you have no idea if the find is in or out of context.
Yes the vast majority probably are out of context due to ploughing but you can't make a blanket statement without evidence because the Archi's have site records that will prove otherwise Wink

and i expect better out of you geoff..lol.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Only telling it like it is Ray Wink
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Only telling it like it is Ray Wink

Nosense  Geoff............neat Niighthawkers lol.......if mine is a  blanket i think your arkie duvet is tto  smug lol
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »

A duvet isn't required Rob, just a love of history and a wish to see this great hobby continue and if that is admitting some of the shortfalls and then using that to educate the newbies (and some oldies) in correct site research and analysis then so be it. We should be trying to improve knowledge, not stick our fingers in our ears and go "la la la". The future of cooperation between the two sides should surely not be reliant on Archaeologists dumbing down to our level but for us to aspire to their level of knowledge and thereby argue on a level playing field..

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal