Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Talacre tomorrow  (Read 5631 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: October 11, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »

With the sun shining and fair weather forecast all day today, I have found my self chained to base and unable to get out with the trusty metal detector and consequently chaffing at the bit for a day of adventure and discovery.

The BBC weather man predicts fine weather again for tomorrow; so it will be up with the lark, stow the CS4PI and the long handled deep digging spade and ensure that all the batteries are in good condition.

With the weather man also predicting early morning fog and knowing the dangers of deep mud, quicksand, and possible geographical disorientation on a large beach; I will be taking the greatest of care!

Will report back tomorrow evening. Wish me luck!  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »

The best of luck.

Grego
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »

You are more than welcome to join me and I would be more than happy to share recent discoveries for the area; or are you out with the NWDD? I would love to see a Safari in action and I am presently saving to upgrade to a "Safari". I am investing my savings in Premium Bonds until I can make the purchase. I may even get to win a million pounds!  Grin

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »

With the sun shining and fair weather forecast all day today, I have found my self chained to base and unable to get out with the trusty metal detector and consequently chaffing at the bit for a day of adventure and discovery.

The BBC weather man predicts fine weather again for tomorrow; so it will be up with the lark, stow the CS4PI and the long handled deep digging spade and ensure that all the batteries are in good condition.

With the weather man also predicting early morning fog and knowing the dangers of deep mud, quicksand, and possible geographical disorientation on a large beach; I will be taking the greatest of care!

Will report back tomorrow evening. Wish me luck!  Wink
Good luck with the bonds mate, and for the beach tomorrow look forward  to your finds it's been a while since we have seen beach bling Huh But it's that time of year when all can change Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 05:55:45 PM »

Well; I do suppose that I should have known better, but I am ever the optimist when it come to detecting Talacre sands.  Roll Eyes

Made it to the beach just before dawn and commenced detecting just as soon as it was light enough for me to see what I was doing properly. The original plans were scuppered by soft sand and deepish mud. I had to beat several quick retreats as my feet sank ankle deep and I thought better to back track and keep safe. Once I had skirted the soft areas, the detector was abnormally quiet for Talacre and very little WWII scrap was to be seen, until later.  Roll Eyes

Best find of the morning was a very strange, three pound piece of lead. Too thick for me to unfold by hand and perhaps figure out what it was once part of; I have stuck it in my bag until I get it home and perhaps investigate it further, before placing it in the scrap lead box.  Sad

* Talacre today.jpg (173.86 KB, 513x414 - viewed 912 times.)

* 3 pound piece of lead.jpg (182.57 KB, 415x596 - viewed 871 times.)

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »

Well; I do suppose that I should have known better, but I am ever the optimist when it come to detecting Talacre sands.  Roll Eyes

Made it to the beach just before dawn and commenced detecting just as soon as it was light enough for me to see what I was doing properly. The original plans were scuppered by soft sand and deepish mud. I had to beat several quick retreats as my feet sank ankle deep and I thought better to back track and keep safe. Once I had skirted the soft areas, the detector was abnormally quiet for Talacre and very little WWII scrap was to be seen, until later.  Roll Eyes

Best find of the morning was a very strange, three pound piece of lead. Too thick for me to unfold by hand and perhaps figure out what it was once part of; I have stuck it in my bag until I get it home and perhaps investigate it further, before placing it in the scrap lead box.  Sad

10/10 for commitment and effort it's not an easy beach to get results from you deserve Bling mate Smiley
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »

Thanks for looking. I think my time at Talacre would be better spent if I used a different detector. My CS4PI, as you probably already know, can't tell the difference between a steel washer and a gold ring. And my EuroAce just hates wet sand.

I am attracted to upgrading to a "Safari" but that will not be for some time yet; unless they drop the price of the safari considerably!  Cry

I have got round to wondering if a cheaper machine could possibly work wet sand well, give a good detection depth and recovery rate, as well as give me a reliable target id?  Undecided

david995

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »

If you can cope with the weight the minelabs are the beach machine

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Richie sixpence

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »

Perhaps next time Chris as you know the finds can change by the day. One thing for sure you have great determination Chris   Wink .
Regards Richie  Smiley.

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 06:58:13 PM »

I want a machine for both beach and inland and I want to move seamlessly from dry sand to wet and back again. The 30/30 is way out of my league financially and the Mrs would kill me if she thought I spent two grand on a metal detector.

I am presently saving for the upgrade and have got my first £200 stowed away at one side. In the meantime I switch from one machine to other as a day's detecting requires. ie........if I'm going to work the wet sand I take the CS4PI and if it's to be the dry sand or inland, I take the EuroAce.

In land and on dry sand, the EuroAce has brought me plenty of nice finds and I think I would keep it as a backup machine but would sell the CS4PI.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

Perhaps next time Chris as you know the finds can change by the day. One thing for sure you have great determination Chris   Wink .
Regards Richie  Smiley.

Hi Richie,
                I had a number of large targets that I was unable to lift out of the wet sand to id properly. The weather was superb and the tide worked in my favour but started to turn at about 10:30 and chased me up the beach.  Roll Eyes

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »

The Minelab Sovereign was and still is the best VLF machine for beaches and that includes the CTX, a second hand one can be had for under £400 Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »

What's it like inland Geoff?

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »

On pasture very good not so hot on arable but then that goes for all Minelabs to a certain extent Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »

I hate to be a little dim but, when you say that they are not so hot on arable; in what way?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal