Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales.com Rally - Number 20 - The Return to Ludlow  (Read 19629 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »

Well a new farm beckoned for members near the historical Shropshire town of Ludlow. A mixture of pasture and stubble greeted us for an interesting days detecting. The members duly booted and suited gathered for a do,s and dont,s talk, to which they were told of of the 75 tokens planted for the prize draw which took place later in the day. Two FLO,s were attending again with the hope of being kept as busy as they were for the Ludlow 1 rally and I think they did not leave disappointed. As guests of the rally they were also given the responsibility of announcing the find of the day which carried a special prize of a years free detecting at all Detecting Wales rallies. Peter will announce this later this evening as he was spoiled for choice. In no particular order finds came thick and fast. I had a lead token first signal, late medieval early post medieval. Members found the usual lead in abundance and musket balls a plenty but thankfully Roman finds now started to appear. We expected Roman at the Ludlow 1 rally and none appeared so when not 1 but 2 Roman brooches appeared swiftly followed by a nice coin denomination unknown at present. Two more hammered appeared before two items of Treasure Trove. A silver Tudor button and a silver dagger chape. I then found a copper Alloy chape in the stubble before meeting Melon Head Mark (a great fella) with a nice Georgian shoe buckle, Tudor harness mount and a few Georgian coppers. Nomad found a lovely George 1V period ring with a inscribed dedication to him. Geoff Admin then found I believe a Tudor key. Handyman had part of a possible Dark Age brooch still to be confirmed and at least four tokens and a couple of thimbles. Farmer Phil then found a nice George V half Crown. Roman Ray also weighed in with another Tudor horse harness mount. I did not see but heard of a bronze age axe or at least part of one along with numerous other milled coinage and partifacts. I am sure members will post more pics of there finds. Pictures of the finds will appear later so please be patient. A big thankyou for a great day to the landowners and family hope we gave you a insight into a bit of history of your farm and what great people they are. Also thanks to all members for making the day a success and a marvellous atmosphere. Holes filled and no litter as the rains arrived we all headed to home.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:49:40 PM by Neil » Logged
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »

Did I mention the Roux Brothers also made an appearance.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »

I also met a old friend I had not seen for a few rallies
nomad

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »

just noticed ,i left my hop up under the gazeebo, the one with the stoves ..i donated the paste table, but i use the hop up..
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »

Geoff Admin and Tafflaff reward the token finders.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »

i got a tube like that as well today  do you want to make a duo paul Grin Angry

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
wayno

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »

Ding Dong

Bell found by DB4 (Darrel) on Ludlow 2 Rally

writing on bell says "RISONS RING OF STOP BELL"

PIECE MISSING TO THE BACK OF BELL SO SOME WRITING MISSING

2014 using ctx3030  TIMES OUT -12
Hammered --6
Gold rings --3
 Other rings 1                   
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »

The holes may have been filled by the end of the day but someone (Don't know who) left some enormous unfilled craters in the stubble field. I and some of the other attendees were filling them in as we went.

Whoever it was that was not policing his muck should pay more attention. "if we fill our holes and behave we can come back and do more fields", how much more plain and simple do the pre-scan talks have to be?

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:43:07 PM »

Well done all who went

Looks like you all had an enjoyable Day ;0)

all the best
Phil
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:07:23 PM »

Well done guys & girls some really nice finds by the sounds of things  Wink

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:42 AM »

Good report Paul, it was a good day, although I missed the raffle (must pay more attention during the talk, for times).
Well done to all that found. Just want to echo Meatslicers comments on the standard of hole filling or not filling, We must have filled half a dozen.

Thanks for the day.

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:55:21 AM »

Excellent report Paul. In respect of the possible dark age brooch, a detailed examination by the onsite FLO, revealed a small pin hole and from it, it was surmised to be a buckle from late 17th to early 18th century.

i too spent some of the day not filling in holes, but picking up foil, iron and other objects left by the side of the hole. As the field was used by livestock, i hate to imagine the extra problem we could have caused the farmer and the animal, if it had stood on any of the sharp objects left about.

The other annoying feature was how many holes had been filled, but regretfully not GREEN SIDE UP. [perhaps we need to give our fellow detectorists lessons on how to do this!]

A little bit of thought about image and appearance, goes a long way!

Besides that, It was a great day out and i guess some very interesting results will ensue in due course.

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »

Got to agree with whats been said previously, thanks to all the organisers for a great well arranged Rally,i need not mention the names we all know who they are.

We do need to get the hole filling sorted though.

I thouroughly enjoyed the day , after 4 months off , it was great to get back out there, and meet everyone again,great to speak to Roman Ray , Tafflaff , Alan handyman , Pipster and Beachcomber Viv, and anyone else i forgot to mention or remember, Nice to see Casa out and about again, didn't get to have a chat with him though.

i didn't have a greatest day, a spindle whorle and a lead pot leg, But a find is a find, and i haven't lost my touch.

Learnt a few lessons with the Matrix though , in the morning i used the eclipse 1400 DD coil and i found it very unstable on that land , in the afternoon , i changed to the stock M6 polo coil, and things settled down, I don't know if its the coil or the whites machines themselves, but with the DD coil i was experiencing an awful lot of "  iron " chatter, but not with the stock polo coil,  i tried adjusting discrim , and the sensitivity, with no effect, i am now wondering whether there could be a machine / coil mismatch, or just simply that the DD deep search coil is that sensitive ,  i personally think its the latter, as i have not experienced as much a chatter before , so it could have been the land ,,,,,, any ideas out there ?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:49:11 PM by Terraterror (Mike) » Logged

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »

Great report Paul. Thanks for writing it. Here are a few pictures. Rob's having some problems with his camera but hopefully more will appear later.

I managed to a little bit of detecting myself later in the day and was very pleased to find a post-medieval key - possibly a barrel key.

Thanks to everyone who turned up and the FLOs for their hard work. Thanks also to the farmers and their family who were very welcoming and showed great interest in what was going on.

Geoff
James

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »

welldone all  Wink, nice finds there  Smiley

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal