Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: meteorites  (Read 2626 times)
rainyday

« on: December 29, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »

Evening people,
After watching some programed the other night, something to do with how millionaires spend there money.
They showed a meteorite that was worth 2 million Dollars!! It was I'm guessing one of the rarer ones Martian I think after some research.
So I started to do a bit of a search (as you do)  Smiley and found that they do fall all over the world regularly and there is a guy in Scotland that dedicates his time to hunting them.
As they are magnetic I was wondering has anyone ever found one?
Dean
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »

I'm out on a limb here rainyday but I guess they are made mainly of iron or similar properties  Undecided and thus would be discriminated out some what Huh I'm no expert and stand to be corrected by a more knowledgable member....I've certainly never found one.
 Wink Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:04:57 PM »

There was a member a couple or so years back who thought he'd found one but I can't remember his name.
There was a lot of discussion about it and our very dear friend Cheff gave various advice. I remember he advised that the only way to tell for sure was to cut it which he did and posted several pics. It certainly looked the business.
I think the last we heard about it was he was going to contact the Museum in Cardiff for advice. We never heard the result.
Maybe he's a millionaire now  Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
rainyday

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »

I guess we would discriminate them out being given a big lump of iron  Cheesy
"This time next year Rodders!"  Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:09:54 AM »

I wondered if I'd found one, many moons ago. Very curious lump of rock that gave a cracking signal. I couldn't believe the weight of it. 7.1/2 lbs. and now I can't believe I lugged it around with me for hours, determined to take it home.
Still got it now. I keep it, just in case and to take unsuspecting visitors by surprise.
In fact i used it a couple of weeks ago. Long story but a heavy stone was needed. A ha thought I. So offered my 'meterorite' stone. Just loved the look of surprise on the recipients face as he nearly dropped it Grin
Fairly sure it's just a lump of iron ore but still interesting. Just think of those poor miners who used to carry huge baskets of the stuff for miles back in the 1700/1800's and get paid pennies for a days toil.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Myke
NWDD Member

seek and ye shall find......ring pulls mainly!

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »

Just imagine......

* Campo_37_ton_b_sm.jpg (271.66 KB, 640x853 - viewed 740 times.)

Anticipation of Gold, old and yellow, keeps me swinging
Myke
NWDD Member

seek and ye shall find......ring pulls mainly!

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »

think they rust away rather quickly in the UK and only a couple of dozen have ever been found.....i saw one fall in a boggy field near Aberystwyth very early one summer morning in 1977..it made the sheep grazing nearby scatter! nobody believed me when i told them, It streaked down with a smoke trail at about 5 degrees from horizontal and went splat into the field....have a mind to see if its still there  ( and yes i was on the way home from the pub)
maybe we should all carry a magnet just in case?

Anticipation of Gold, old and yellow, keeps me swinging
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »

I saw one coming back over the Mendips, just before midnight a few years ago, it looked very close and just the other side of a wood I was passing....in reality it could have been a few miles away.....never looked for it, I'll stick to detecting as its more sucsefull .. Wink
rainyday

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »

I saw one coming back over the Mendips, just before midnight a few years ago, it looked very close and just the other side of a wood I was passing....in reality it could have been a few miles away.....never looked for it, I'll stick to detecting as its more sucsefull .. Wink
I would have to go and have a look if I were you Smiley
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »

This is from a site called 10 amazing things about meteorites.

Meteorites can be valuable however this is not the case with every one. Larger meteorites would be more valuable than smaller pieces. Meteorites which are rarer would be of more value than typical stone meteorites. Pallasites are a rare stony-iron type of meteorite. They are distinguished by their appearance of nickel iron studded with bits of minerals such as olivine. Other meteorites from the Moon and Mars are rare. They’re thought to have landed on the Earth as meteorites due to an impact that dislodged them, these unusual meteorites very special to have in a collection. Media and hype is another way of a piece becoming valuable, I would imagine many are willing to spend some money on owning a piece of the Russian meteorite that landed earlier this year some pieces have reportedly been sold for over £7000. However, if you do perhaps stumble across an unusual piece of rock which turns out to be extra-terrestrial don’t give up the day job to live of the returns just yet!

Hope this helps

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal