Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: E trac salt wet falsing  (Read 5244 times)
jondav

« on: February 17, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »

tried an E trac on the salt wet sand on the last few outings , and to be honest ,it did,nt seem to like it much,it was chirping and cheeping every sweep.I have tried most of the settings ,noise cancel,fiddling with the discrim etc,but only marginal improvement,it seems to like giving wide signals ,which at first look promising ,but on digging ,very deep some times,there,s nothing there.I,m not new to minelabs,I have an explorer 2 ,which loves the wet sand,hardly any false signals,am I doing something wrong , or do the E trac and explorer just look the same,but in reality are totally different in the way they operate,perhaps Minelab intended the E trac as an inland machine,I,m glad I did,nt trade  M y explorer in part ex ,any tips guy,s
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »

The minelab has a beach setting in the memory when you get it.

It turns down the sensitivity and discriminates most iron falsing out. I tried it on Llantwit Major beach and found ring pulld about a foot down so its still able to pick up good signals.

Go into menu, settings, minelab settings, and one of them will be beach.

Good luck

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »

when i get my andy sabish book back from nap u will have to borrow it m8.its all about explorers and etrac

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »

change your response to smooth,pinpoint to sizing,and keep your sensitivity to a level your ears are happy with.i have tried all types of set up on the beach because i was getting told that rings were all at over 10'' deep but now i turn sensitivity to a level where my ears can handle and i dont get a headache and p~ss~ed off.all rings i have found have been under 8'' deep.another trick is to blank out no 1 on the ferrous line.i was watchin a guy on beach and he was swinging fast and covering a load of ground,i asked him why he was goin so fast then he put his hand in his pocket and pulled out 4 rings,his responce was i dont want to be chasing a ring around a big hole for ages cos the tide is coming back in,makes sense if your working the low tide mark so thats what i do now and i can cover a lot of beach before the tide turns.my finds rate have gone up since,the guys with the sovereigns can have the deeper ones lol

gold = loads lol
jondav

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »

when i get my andy sabish book back from nap u will have to borrow it m8.its all about explorers and etrac
   Many thanks D.W.B. ,I probably do need to read up on it, I will try changing the response to smooth
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »

Hi Jon, as you say you know your way around Minelabs and no there is no real difference, but without wanting to sound stupid give your coil cover a clean out ie take it off a rinse it out.
It will be the coil rather than the Etrac.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »

it might not be the right set up for u but give it a try ,i found my first gold ring back last december with the minelab beach program . all beaches are different so just experiment a bit,dont do what i did and have recovery deep and recovery fast on at the same time,aparently they cancel each other out lol.if you've got a gold ring take it with you to the beach tied to a bit of string with knots in the string to measure different depths ,bury the ring at different depths and test your machine out,let me know how you get on.good luck Smiley

gold = loads lol
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »

what's the undersand like?
is it black sand?
is it clay?
is it peat/woody?
is the area heavy metal industry at one point?
I have ventured many beaches and found the explorers and etrac very noisey in areas which I know to be some of the above.
Black sand is easy to work through though whereas clay and peat are a right pain large wood/peat will give a lovely low tone that throws you.
A sugestion to make sure you ain't got a cooked coil run auto sense and see the level she reads at, once you have that figure is she quiet or still falsing?
If still falsing I'd be a bit more concerned with the coils fielding as salt water drives it nuts if its broken!
I bet the machine runing far to high and bouncing signals from the sand.
Remember that these detectors knock spots off nearly anything on the beach even at half tempreture 16 sense that is but will most probs run well into mid 20's and not flail or faulter.
Get a steady swing which you can manage and set the detector to be just off quiet minor falsing and raise threshold level to 19/20 then lower headphone volume to just hear threshold then see how she blows mate.
Best of luck.

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jondav

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »

Hi Jon, as you say you know your way around Minelabs and no there is no real difference, but without wanting to sound stupid give your coil cover a clean out ie take it off a rinse it out.
It will be the coil rather than the Etrac.
thanks Geoff I do have a sneaking suspicion it could be the coil,will try it on my explorer 2 ,if it still falses,then its def the coil     Jon
jondav

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »

what's the undersand like?
is it black sand?
is it clay?
is it peat/woody?
is the area heavy metal industry at one point?
I have ventured many beaches and found the explorers and etrac very noisey in areas which I know to be some of the above.
Black sand is easy to work through though whereas clay and peat are a right pain large wood/peat will give a lovely low tone that throws you.
A sugestion to make sure you ain't got a cooked coil run auto sense and see the level she reads at, once you have that figure is she quiet or still falsing?
If still falsing I'd be a bit more concerned with the coils fielding as salt water drives it nuts if its broken!
I bet the machine runing far to high and bouncing signals from the sand.
Remember that these detectors knock spots off nearly anything on the beach even at half tempreture 16 sense that is but will most probs run well into mid 20's and not flail or faulter.
Get a steady swing which you can manage and set the detector to be just off quiet minor falsing and raise threshold level to 19/20 then lower headphone volume to just hear threshold then see how she blows mate.
Best of luck. cheers Rich if I run on auto sens it seems quiet, but it takes me down to about 15 or 17, not a patch on the 25 to 27 I get with My explorer.I would,nt mind if 15 to 17 was just as deep ,but I cant help wondering if it is   Jon

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal