Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How many FLO's does it take to record a find?  (Read 7528 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: April 13, 2010, 12:18:47 PM »

Well at our soon approaching 2 day rally it was touch and go as to whether we would be able to get an FLO to be in attendance.
The FLO for the area was out sick and wasn't sure if he would be back, My area FLO said she was busy at another rally on that weekend so it didn't look good, but then the other rally was called off so we had one then Kurt returned to work fighting fit so then we had 2, this morning I have just had an email from PAS to inform me that there will be 5 attending.

Do you think they know something we don't? I hope so.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:23:11 PM by Chef (Geoff) » Logged
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »

The more the merrier I say.

This is a really good oppurtunity to work hand in hand with the F.L.O's. We have nothing at all to lose by recording our finds and everything to gain. I cannot emphasise enough, if you think you have anything at all 300 yrs of age +  then register it with one of the F.L O's.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »

One other point of interest I learned from the FLO yesterday was that they are now more than willing to record Roman grots, so if you find any at all and especially any that can be narrowed down to a particular century by its size or a certain emperor by design that is all they need. It just records Roman presence on that land.
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »

Hi There
Sorry If I sound Dull  Sad can you tell me what is a FLO  Huh
Phil

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »

its the Finds Liason officer, the main point of contact for the national recodring Portable Antiquity Scheme.

record the finds!!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »

Not dull at all Phil. FLO stands for Finds Liason Officer, they  (usually trained Archaeologists) work for the Portable antiquities Scheme. They are in most counties across England and Wales and are the people you record any and all historic finds with, they will also identify items you have and enter them on the Schemes database to build up a picture of life in the past.
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:24:25 PM »

Thanks for that  So much to lean !!

Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »

Tell me If I was lucky enough to find say a stater, ( but not on a rally) out on my own would I still have to record it
Cheers Phil

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »

There is no law on recording a single coin, but you have nothing to loose by doing so and it just adds a bit more information to the historic record. Recording is a good habit to get into right from the start, plus you can also learn a lot from talking to your FLO.

PS. they only record it, they will give it you back after they have photographed and recorded it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:33:45 PM by Chef (Geoff) » Logged
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »

its worth emphasising, that detectorists are playing a major part in changing historians perspective of our history. the success of the PAS scheme has resulted in over 120 000 finds being recorded, from which useful data can be extrapolated.

it goes without saying that what a detectroirst may think, that "the find is not important to record", that, in reality  their find could actually be the lead that the BM has been waiting for. hence the request to record all the roman grots.

finally, i urge all detectorists who come on DW rallies to make sure they have a GPS system that records such finds to a 10 fig grid reference.  this is very useful info for the FLO's.

so, if u have finds from the chepstow of yatton rallies, please record them.

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »

Pipster, theres a big difference between recording your find with an F.L.O and reporting a treasure find to an F.L.O.  We're on here to help you fella , thats the perk of joining a reputable Detecting forum We'll help as much as we can and you will never be made to feel silly for asking any question.

I feel the most important people to this hobby are the newbies, and once put on the correct path, with guidance you'll have the knowlege to in turn help the next load of newbies coming through.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »

If you haven't got a GPS system don't worry to much. I would hate to think that people are feeling guilty about not spending over £100 on a piece of kit they use very infrequently.
Remember GPS is only a recent innovation, I've been at this game for over 32 years now and maps were good enough, so just record the find the FLO wood rather record the field rather than not record at all.

On the Saturday of the 2 dayer we will not have any FLO present so I have come up with a system of self recording that each person can do immediately.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 04:53:46 PM »

One can always use google earth maps, as they have the old fashioned system of easterns and northerns that can also be used to record find spots.

Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »

I was just about to ask what is a GPS recording system was and how much,  , Just brought a new machine so funds are limited at the moment.

Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »

I do have google maps  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal