Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: World War II Portable Altar . . .  (Read 5517 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 13, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »

Its a snow day, so heres another item lying around my home.

I picked this up at a fayre in Sully about 8 years ago.

Its a military Portable Altar that I was told by the seller was used to give last rites during the Normandy landings - theres one being used in the background in Saving Private Ryan.

When I opened it inside was some amazing marketry work which is inscribed with the Latin phrase "Agnus Dei, Agnus Dei, que tollis pecatta mundi, miserere nobis" Which translates as "Lamb of God who takest away the sins of the world have mercy upon us"

It included a cummunion holder which still has a few paper tablets to be placed on the tounge. A bottle for Holy Water and two service books - both military and one dated 1941.

The wife hates it and I am open to offers to keep her happy! Grin

cheers

Neil
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:38:35 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »

More photos.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »

An interesting item Neil, but to be honest I agree with your wife. Smiley Smiley

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »

my detecting buddy - was an army chaplain at one stage. he may be interested .. can u pm me a price u r looking for - -and i'll see if he's up for it Neil.

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »

PM Alan. I didn't post it on here to sell it, but the wife would be over the moon! Grin

Cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

SimonH

Teknetics T2, Cwmbran

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »

Neil, your house must be like Alladins cave  Wink  Lovely item mate

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »

Your not far wrong Simon - I collect a lot of things!

It comes from being dragged from auction houses to flea markets to boot sales to house clearances from the age of 8 or so. I've barely scratched the surface so far.

How do you keep an 8 year old quiet? give them a £1 note and let them bid at an auction! Grin The adults and auctioneers used to love it and rarely bid against me or - as they used to get booed if the did! Grin Grin Grin

I even bought my house at an auction - granted in the year 2000 before it became vogue to do so! No boos that time!

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »

The wife has just seen this post and is more than happy for us to get rid of it! Embarrassed If theres any Militaria collectors out there!

I still don't want to, but in the interest of marital harmony . . .

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

willow tree

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »

that,s a great item you have there neil it,s a shame she won,t let you keep it
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »

In fairness Willowtree - I have owned it for 8 years - time for it to find a new home I think. I may try the military museums.

Going on ebay this week, but I thought I would give the DW members first refusal.

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

willow tree

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »

stupid question but do you collect anything in one field
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »

i think there is an army chaplain association - could try them as well Neil

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
willow tree

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »

give me a clue neil what you would like for it
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »

Hi Willowtree.

Heres the background I have sent to three other members today,

I took it into the Antiques Roadshow when it was in Cardiff in 2004 or there abouts and showed it to Roy Butler the Militaria expert on the show {I think thats his name}. He commented that he had only seen two since he had been doing the show (mine was the second}. They filmed it, but never showed the clip on the Cardiff edition. I guess I ended up on the cutting room floor! Smiley  It was the edition where a guy had bought a fire guard from Sully boot sale and it had around 400 autographs on it including Byron, Churchill etc.

He valued the altar at around £500 and commented that as a rule these either stayed with the clergy or remained in regimental museums. He said it was in lovely condition and a very rare item - as few survived. He agreed on the date as being Second World War.  The photos dont do it justice as my battery is low and I cant find the charger.

I am open to any sensible offers though or a part exchange should you have any gold coins of any denomination or country you wish to swap.

Hope that helps - we should continue this via PM mate.

Cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Legacy Hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »

THATS NICE
DEBS

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal