Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Detecting Mum  (Read 5792 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: April 11, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »

Metal detector mum with a passion for history uncovers artefacts in Westerham
 Shonagh Speirs has uncovered historic artefacts in Westerham
A SECOND World War bullet, musket ball and a military badge have been found in Westerham by a history enthusiast.

Mum-of-one Shonagh Speirs, of Atterbury Close, discovered the historic relics while using her metal detector.

She explained: "I always find all sorts of rubbish – which I dispose of responsibly, of course – but it was really exciting to come across some finds.

"I am planning on getting a display case for when I find a few more things!"

Mrs Speirs started using a metal detector in Westerham about 18 months ago, and explained how Chartwell, Biggin Hill Airport and market town Westerham make the area rich with exciting relics.

Although a decision was made by Westerham parish councillors last week not to allow metal detectors to be used on land belonging to the council, Mrs Speirs said she believed firmly in being responsible with her activity.

"I got into it about a year-and-a-half ago.

"I have always been interested in history and I find metal detecting really interesting.

"I believe in responsible detecting. There has been a bit of nighthawking in Westerham recently and I think it is a disgrace to the hobby.

"There are not many places you can go in Westerham because generally people are not keen to allow people on their land.

"There are quite a few fields in Westerham that you can go to but you have to ask for permission first.

"If I do get permission, I then try and find out as much as I can about the area.

"Equipment starts at £120 and it is not something you can just take up – you need to know all about the codes and laws."

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »

Bob, you should know by now that we only tell you what we want you to know. Roll Eyes Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Shonagh
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »

You know what?
I've been detecting for under 2 years, what i've found is relevant to the land i've been allowed to detect on. Are you suggesting I go nighthawking?  What this has received has been the relevant male replies - easily pleased? am I like hell!  I'm just happy to  find anything that has a historical relevance to my local area.  Land round here is virtually impossible to detect on, I wish I lived in Wales or back home in Scotland.  I'm going off the idea of detecing in wales after reading this forum.  Do you treat all beginners this way?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:25:48 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:24:54 PM »

I've removed the above threads as its obviously offended the detectorist involved in the article.

Guys when a musket ball and a military badge no longer does it for you, you've got two choices.

A} Accept this hobby is no longer for you and say nothing.
B] Congratulate the finder on finding artifacts that has pleased them.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:07:19 AM »

no shonagh we dont generally but you cant tar us all with the same brush . Shocked
 we all started off somewhere,i have only ever had 2 musket balls and would be chuffed to find more
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:10:12 AM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »

I've only started around two months ago and found virtually nothing of significance but what it has done is to help me look at the area I live in in a more historic sense.
I'm finding myself ordering books on Celtic Tribes and Coinage, Pilgrimage locations and so on. 'Me and history', believe me that's a new one.
Everybody get what they want from this. If they don't then I'm sure people will just move on.
Mike

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »

when i started it took me ages to find something nice ,keep it up

gold = loads lol
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »

There are and always have been two distinct schools of detectorists. I'm glad to say I'm in the same school as Shonagh.
Maybe the mercenaries should be a little more thoughtful.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »

i would just rather be on a beach swingin than in work lol

gold = loads lol
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »

The hobbie of metal detecting is interesting if you stuck to the basic , a great day out , patience, persistence, knowledge,having fun and so on . Well that's the way I see it but like other hobbie or you like it or you don't, I don't care if I find sometning or not but like I said with the words above that make my detecting very interesting and don't forget its hobby the end of the day .
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:35:56 AM by Napoleon » Logged
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »

you forgot to mention sleeping and eating burger king nap lol Cheesy

gold = loads lol
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »

Shonagh, please dont let this little incident put you off this site or indeed the thought of detecting in Wales! In the main this forum is a very happy community, with some very knowledgeable members!!Best of luck with your future searches and I hope you keep us posted on how your doing.x

Everything happens for a reason.....
win

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »

Yes ,good words from Napoleon and ysbtymike. That's how it should be. When I dug up my first Georgian coin 20 years ago and was told they are commonplace, I made up my mind that I would always be happy to find them, 200 years old and more. Now I've a nice collection of Georgian coppers and still adding different types. Shame that some people can't see any further than the word 'hammered'. At a recent rally, I came across a detectorist who was bemoaning the fact that he'd only had one hammered and it was a Lizzie London mint at that. Poor guy, when its like this, just give it up. Hope you give us another chance Shonagh. There's some lovely folks in this club and you'll learn lots and have a laugh along the way.
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

I didn't see the posts that Rob removed before he took them off but I can only say that I'm really disappointed that a new member has been made to feel unwelcome on this site. DetectingWales.com has always been a friendly and welcoming website and this is the first time I can think of that a new member has not been made to feel at home here.

New members should be given help, support and encouragement, not made to feel small. I hope Shonagh will forgive us and I sincerely hope this situation does not arise again.

Geoff
mucker

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »

Shonagh
Maybe one day you may attend one of the DW outings.
You will find the people very helpfull and friendly ,as i did.
Good luck and enjoy the hobbie.
Regards (Mucker) Wink

It's an uphill struggle but i'm with you all the way

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal