Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissapearing Signals?  (Read 6038 times)
JRD

« on: August 30, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »

Hi all,

Newbie question:-

I have had a few dissapearing signals when digging on the beach.

I get a strong signal, dig a hole and sometimes signal dissapears (checked both hole and sand that I have dug) and nothing to be found.

I do get some readings off wet sand - is it this causing the signals in the first place?

Using a Garrett 250 and only been doing this for a couple of weeks so still trying to get the hang of it.

Any advice on beach searching or the Garrett 250 greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »

It could well be the wet sand. A lot of single frequency machines like the Garrett do not cope well on wet salt beaches.

I haven't used a Garrett on the beach myself, so maybe some users can give you tips on whether there are ways of coping, or whether you're best sticking to the dry sand.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »

hello,the garret ace 250 needs to have the sensitivity down to the 2 or 3 mark for wet sand ,but unfortunatly you will lose depth.if you on youtube there's a guy called crackbadger who will give you tips on using the ace 250 on the beach.he finds loads of gold and travels the world detecting beaches.he does come across as a bit of a dick but knows what he's on about.i found the ace 250 a really good machine for coins but did get a load of false signals on the beach.good luck Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »

Hi JRD,  somtimes mate if you bump the sand slightly as you swing you will get a really good signal but theres nothing there. This also happens when in fields and the machine hits a lump of grass or twig. It can sound as if there is somthing juicy in the ground or sand.  When getting a good signal wave the machine back and forth a few times and use the pin point button.  However, the pinpoint on wet sand maybe a little off mate and its suprising how big the hole gets before locating the item.

As for wet sand mate , try turning the sensitivity down as much as nessessary to stop the false signals. Even if it means going right down to 4 bars mate. You will still find stuff if its there but remember to increase the sensitivity back up as much as you can get away with when you get back onto the dry mate.  Basically mate the sensitivy is the key....  Wink Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
JRD

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »

Thanks guys for all the info - appreciate it.

Still trying to get used to the machine and different surfaces etc.

I am sticking to mostly dry sand, and it's here that I have had a few 'Ghost' signals, and cannot find anything when I dig and the signal dissapears? Only happened about 4 times thus far, and have moved the machine around and kept getting a signal and pinpointed the spot. Then when I dig and check with the machine again there is no signal in the hole or on the sand I dug!

BTW - Yeah seen the Crackbadger videos - that dude is wild! I wish I could fine one ring never mind the hoard he seems to get. Perhaps us Brits are not as much jewelry wearers as the yanks?

Anyone else have any luck finding rings on the beach?

Cheers,
JRD out.

Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »

yes me find a bit of gold this year with my garreth 2 gold ring 2 silver ring

1 gold bracelet, 1 gold band , few new coins , and more .

Voila good luck buddy.

Napoleon34
JRD

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »

Wow! that's encouraging.

Need to get out there more!!

Any help for a newbie?

Is it best to search in the evening or the morning? On dry sand or wet?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:59:43 PM »

Hello boss,

Beach detecting can be very rewarding if you do it at the right time, and the right place.

If your detector is more reliable and accurate in dry sand, have a try at Barry Island beech at low tide in the dry sand along the promanade, especially at the bottom of the access ramps.

Kids have to use the ramps to get to the shops and kiosks. They lose money with frightening regularity. On one particularly productive Monday after a sunny weekend I managed £47 and some Euros. The odd key came up too and I helped a couple of girls find their car keys.

If you are after older stuff or coins and artifacts from wrecks try Merthyr Mawr beach at low tide and you might have some surprises. Ogmore and Porthcawl have had lots of wrecks in the past because they were often mistaken for the inlets along Cardigan and carmarthen bay and ships were lost quite frequently. Merthyr Mawr sand dunes regularly throw out roman, iron age and stone age artefacts from the outlets of streams and springs near the beach.

Do a bit of research in your area and see where old army sites and naval/raf installations were sited during the wars. Soldiers were fond of losing buttons, coins and bullets. There is a dirty great roman era fort in the middle of cardiff (Cardiff castle) and a known roman villa in Ely fields with a roman road running towards Culverhouse Cross. Dead soldires were often buried beside roads.

There you go, somewhere to start for now. And when you get into a scan club rally or day out, you will find loads of things to keep your interest going.

Eric

I have a farm I can go on that has air raid shelters from WWII that were used as homes for years after the war because there were loads of people left homeless by bombing and population movements.

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
JRD

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »

Thanks Eric - that is a fantastic amount of info and very informing I really appreciate it.

I will certainly have a go at your suggestions.

Nice to join a forum where everyone is so helpful to us newbies.

Cheers mate,

Jonathan

brewermb
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »

Hi all,

Newbie question:-

I have had a few dissapearing signals when digging on the beach.

I get a strong signal, dig a hole and sometimes signal dissapears (checked both hole and sand that I have dug) and nothing to be found.

I do get some readings off wet sand - is it this causing the signals in the first place?

Using a Garrett 250 and only been doing this for a couple of weeks so still trying to get the hang of it.

Any advice on beach searching or the Garrett 250 greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I read this post and, as I have also only just taken up metal detecting, I remembered my first time out three weeks ago when I had the same problem, so I went out again this Sunday 5/9/10, this time taking a plastic riddle, and sure enough I had the same phenomenon, but this time with the aid of the riddle I was able to examine the dug out material, and I found a very thin piece of aluminum about the size of a new half penny, what I think may happen, I am sure better qualified than I am will put us right, is that the Ace picks up the piece in the ground in the horizontal plane, when the dig material is transfered  the piece moves to the vertical plane when the ace has a far smaller target to detect. Maybe....just a theory.

Regards Paul.

Happiness is all you need!
Techony

Research - Recover - Record

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »

Hi Johnathon,

Paul makes a very valid point about finds changing orientation as you dig.

Another factor could be the discrimination level that you are using, unless you are operating in all metal mode. A target could give you one signal whilst it is buried, and a different one once you get closer to it. If the second signal (generally more accurate) is indicating a lower quality it could just be that it had dropped below your discrimination threshold. Iron can be paricularly guilty of this effect. You should still see the indicator appear on the 250's display even though the sound has disappeared.

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
JRD

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »

Thanks Paul and Techony both good possibilities - I will pay more attention if it happens again and try and work out what is going on. also thinking of investing in a pinpointer so that may help in future also.

cheers guys,
Jonathan

brewermb
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »

Thanks Paul and Techony both good possibilities - I will pay more attention if it happens again and try and work out what is going on. also thinking of investing in a pinpointer so that may help in future also.

cheers guys,
Jonathan

You won't regret it, it saves lots of time searching.

Happiness is all you need!
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »

when i had an ace 250 i used to get really cheesed off with ghost signals on the beach and it loved tin foil,but i found coins with it everywhere i took it and a silver ring in the dry sand.only sold it because my mate kept nagging me for it and to really cheese me off the first time he used it he found a james 2nd 1683 coin with it.got a lot of coins on old public footpathes with the ace too.keep hunting

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
I will find it

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »

Hi Jonathan

I have an ACE 250 and like you am still getting used to it.  I find on wet sand dropping the sensitivity down to 2 or 3 works, I also knock off the iron and foil. Although have still found some.  On dry sand sensitivity is 6. I dig everything everything even if the signal bounces from iron the silver. Me too have had ghost signals.  I check sensititivity and turn down and then re scan. as for signals noises I know when I have something good as it ding dings, but digging up sometimes  a disappointment....its a can or a damn tent peg!  Yep lots of cans and pegs on barry island beach, expecially by the walls! Barry Island beach also has lots of iron. Interesting shapes and sizes.  My hubby came out with me and lovingly dug holes the other day.  He dug iron near enough in a  straight line from number 4 to 2 wall. Fed up with bringing it to the surface I left some in the holes just my luck I may have walked away from a roman sword, lol.Have tried really wet sand and no luck with finds.  I flit from all metal to jewellry mode. I bought a pro pointer two weks ago from Detectniks and had discount.  It's great.  I would have given up on a few holes, but pro point found the coins and the holes were smaller.Found lots of coinage, not many £1 coins though.  Loads of signals on friars point, mainly lots of fired bullet shells  as it was used as a firing range. If ever going down Barry Island PM me and I will meet you as I live there.. Grin  On a positive note I found my first roman coin the other day with Gracie (ACE) on all metal sensitivity 6 not on barry island though. So dont give up, I have only been using mine since August.  I also bought coil covers.  Decided to take off to clean after been on field and wet sand, boy oh boy it was hard.  Not sure I'll bother again.  had to prize it off.  I can hear the experts now....... Marjie you dont need to take it off. 

If going to Cardiff East I may see you.

If in doubt dig it!
Marjie

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal