Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Night hawks in Ludlow not good news  (Read 5361 times)
simon c

« on: October 27, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »

Angry Just been reading this in the local paper,it goes in to a lot more depth in the paper and could cause us all a lot of problems.http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2010/10/27/metal-detectorists-plunder-shropshir
falcon.

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »

Bloody good stringing up they should be Angry Angry
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »

I feel quilty enough now, thats all we need. Lets hope the news doesn't travel as fast in the general public as it does on the 'grape vine'
The first question most people ask is 'Have you found any treasure' thats how a lot think already. Stories like this reinforce that idea and we all get tarred with the same brush. Angry

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
jtalbot0001

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:02:45 PM »

This is terrible news..... It just so happens that the few fields I have to go on, at least one of them has been Night Hawked in the past week, bloody annoying too, since I'm recording everything to published in a small document in the future. Not all of us are doing this hobby purely for the fact for getting rich quick! I actually haven't told my farmer yet, not sure I want to, I feel as though they may stop me as they may think (if this person is local and has been watching me over the months) that I may be encouraging others to come on their land? Any thoughts?

Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »

Trouble is Jon youre dammed if you do and youre dammed if you don't. Depends how friendly you are with your Farmer. Common sense says you should mention it, and make sure he knows youre nothing to do with them. Tell him what you've told us. Usually honesty does pays in the long run.
On the other hand. Does anyone else know, is it likely to get back to him from anyone else. In that case you could keep quiet and see what happens.
Theres always another field.

Val

DATA311(Alan)

THE BREAM MACHINE F.I.D.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »

This article could prove very damaging to the regular detectorist if only going by the last paragraph in the article....... Angry

Nighthawks also gain information by joining legitimate metal detectors’ clubs.

At the end of the day it can prove virtually impossible to guesstimate what someone's real motives are, unless you catch them in the act.....  Undecided

Nil illegitimi Carborundum
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:01 AM »

This Sort of news article makes me sick  Angry
Not only coz Nighthawkers are low lifes in my opinion but....
To the untrained eye the picture  with the article looks like 2 detectorists braking the law, when infact they are probably cemetery workers  Angry note wheel barrow and uniform)

Your never going to stop nighthawking and why for the life of me is this front page news when there are far worst crimes that effect more people that goes almost unnoticed.

You could stop nighthawking over night by allowing metal detectorists clubs to clear  areas and collect valuable information at the same time , the argument against this would be " your taking artifacts from there context"
But whats better ? leaving them in the ground to slowly rot away or dig them out for you and me to enjoy.

Why are so many places protected when there so much infomation that can to gained by People (genuine detectorist) are ready and willing to help.

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »

We cant let the press or anyone else label us as Benefit cheating, grave robbing nighthawkers .
You dont hear "All drunks and drugys are costing the country billions of pounds a year and should be licenced or completely stopped from theyre activity's

Its easier to pick on the retired gent having a bit of fun digging tiny holes in the countryside.
The worlds completely bonkers !
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »

I loved the statement by the police officer

“People who go metal detecting may be engaged in other activity that is unlawful"

UM....well yes they could but they could also be future saints. Not one of the most educated assumptions I've ever heard. Roll Eyes

Phil the idea of clubs clearing sites is one that has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now and in my view is one of the more ridiculous ones. Night hawks would just join clubs....simple as.

They exist and however much I would love them to be strung up by certain parts of their anatomy (and OHHH how I would) they are always going to be with us.
Detectingwales probably has it's fair share as do most clubs. It's just a horrible fact of life.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:46:21 AM by Chef (Geoff II) » Logged
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:37:38 AM »

here we go again hey, i hope they get the sods,   rent them your dog to roam about there in the nights Phil lol
Alan

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:43:12 AM »

His might be bigger but mine makes more noise Angry Grin

Val

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »

ha ha Val   Cute,

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »

Hi cheff

Im not as nieve as you may think
We like all the other clubs have so called "professional detectorists" but whats better ? Nighthawks selling everything they find from protected sites or let Genuine Detetorists at least save some of the finds for future generations ??

Saving some or saving nothing !
its not so ridiculous is it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:25:39 AM »

I don't think you are naive Phil your just putting forward an idea. The only way we are saving it for future generations is if we bequeath it to a museum in our wills, and if that's the case why be so selfish and keep it for ourselves, give it to the museum now. Our offspring are probably not going to have the same passion for history that drives most (long term) detectorists and so will possibly only sell items that they inherit anyway.
You can dress it up anyway you like but we all have private collections that are of no use to anyone but ourselves.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »

i dont nighthawk nor do i condone it but this is a problem that detecting has created and it is a problem that will not go away and many of us has land that has been nighthawked ,,,,,but what can you do about it?   answer is not a lot really apart from drawing peoples attention to the situation which creates more bad press for tectorists in general,,,,might as well just let them get on with it.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete