Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lewis Chessmen from the 12th Century set to tour Scotland  (Read 2433 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 01, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »

Courtesy of BBC online - 01/10/09

Some of the Lewis Chessmen which were found on a beach in the Western Isles more than 150 years ago are being reunited for a tour of Scotland. A total of 30 of the 93 pieces will go on display at locations including the island of Lewis, where they were found.

They are thought to have belonged to a 12th Century merchant who visited Lewis as he journeyed from Ireland to Norway.

The exhibition will open at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh in May next year. The Chessman will also be on display in Stornoway, Shetland and Aberdeen. The official announcement was made by Culture Minister Mike Russell.

He said: "The Lewis Chessmen are a significant part of our culture and this major touring exhibition will give people across the country an opportunity to see some of the most significant archaeological artefacts ever discovered in Scotland."

He continued: "The Chessmen reflect the strong cultural and political links between Scotland and Scandinavia in the Middle Ages and the growing popularity of the game of chess in Europe. I am pleased to announce this major touring exhibition, which will cast new light on the fascinating story of the chessmen and enhance their place in the public imagination"

"The Chessmen are an important symbol of European civilisation and have captivated the imagination of visitors and academics for many years. I am delighted that they will be making a return, a Homecoming, to the Isle of Lewis where they were first discovered in 1831."

The pieces were found in a small stone chamber 15ft beneath a sand dune near Uig on the west coast of Lewis at some point before 1831. They include elaborately worked walrus ivory and whales' teeth in the forms of seated kings and queens, mitred bishops, knights on their mounts, standing warders and pawns in the shape of obelisks. It is believed they were made between about 1150-1200 AD when the Western Isles were part of the Kingdom of Norway, not Scotland.

Of the 93 pieces found, 82 are kept at the British Museum, with 11 held by the National Museum of Scotland. The Scottish government has committed £75,000 to the exhibition, in partnership with National Museums Scotland and the British Museum.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »

NICE ONE NEIL  THEY MUST OF TAKEN AGES TO CARVE THEM OUT  I DONT THINK I WOULD HAVE THE PATIENCE TO DO IT BUD ,,,,, Wink Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »

i was stationed on the isle of lewis during my days in the RAF...the camp was named....raf AIRD UIG...the very area where these were found !...they make replica sets of these chessmen...but they will set you back a few pounds !...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
bigjase
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »

very intresteing brill!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal