Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finds from Rally on Sunday  (Read 1803 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »

Hi All,

I managed to get to the Rally on Sunday thanks to Herbie who kindly gave me a lift, thanks again by the way.

I didn't find much but I am pleased I found some thing nevertheless. The two best items I found are these two coins, one Roman, very worn, (please can anybody give me an idea on who they think it is?) I hope the picture is good enough for people to see that there is a bust facing right, can make out the chin and nose etc quite easily, with the letter "V" for AVG (I think) still visible! (my own thoughts are Vespasian?) and the other side shows a figure standing, and not sure which way to orientate it but the person either is holding what looks like scales left or right, or it is actually a letter "C" to the right of the figure. My other coin is not in bad shape and is a farthing token issued by John Tubb of Taunton in Somerset. The obverse has the date of issue '1666'. The reverse has the initials 'ITE' for the issuer and his wife. A nice local find!

Thanks to all I spoke to about the coil I plan to buy from Geoff in the near future, and Mike for actually letting me have a look at one!

I had a great time! Thanks to all who went about organising the Rally!

Jon

* Roman.jpg (212.58 KB, 851x437 - viewed 416 times.)

* Token.jpg (180.09 KB, 555x423 - viewed 422 times.)

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:00:25 PM »

Nice going Jon, well done and I do like the token. I think I saw three others on Sunday too and I must admit I have never found as many as I have since moving to this part are of Somerset.
Did you get any info on your half coin?
jtalbot0001

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »

Hi Geoff, yes, was quite pleased with my token, in actual fact this is my first one this size, it is small, all the others I have ever found, not this type, are much larger, slightly bigger than a penny coin normally but this one is small? My half coin is a mystery, Laura was thinking along the lines of Roman like you and said it could have Chi Rho on it, but the more I look at it it appears to me that it could be a jeton of sorts? Its just very worn! I am certain those fields have potential to yield more, shame they weren't turned over! Please pm me about how I would go about paying/buying a coil, black one for my etrac, from you, I will do it at the end of this month! Cheers, Jon.

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »

Jon, they are all on my website at www.chefphones .com
Well I'm going to stick with my Roman folis id lol
jtalbot0001

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:13 PM »

Thanks Geoff, seen the website, I actually mean the end of August is when I will buy from you LOL, sorry. Speak to you soon. Cheers, Jon.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal