Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet The Wombles  (Read 7252 times)
The Wombles
Rally attendee

« on: January 05, 2010, 07:25:29 PM »

Hello to all Members
Both my son Keegan and Myself Grant would like to introduce ourselves, we are interested in detecting as a Hobby and something we can do together, he is 9 and myself 37.
I lost my leg in March of 09 and its been a battle for Keegan to come to terms with this life changing procedure, so i thought that this hobby(treasure hunting would bring us together and close the gap.
We do not have a clue in how to start or where to go and look, i have bought a Garrett Ace 250 as a starter, now it where to go, i have read quiet alot on it and i do realise i need permission of the land owner, does any one know of anywhere we could start our searching, we live in Porthcawl South Wales.
Any help advise would be great. Wink
Happy Hunting
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »

Hi Grant & Keegan,welcome to DW. The 250 is a great starter machine & you should be finding stuff soon.As to where to go,you need the guys on here from your area to enlighten you. Good luck Guys !  Wink

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:46:47 PM »

Do you use Google Earth fella ?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
The Wombles
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »

Hi yes i do use it from time to time
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »

Ok I will send you an E mail shortly.

The Wombles
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »

Thank you for that
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »

Im probably stating the obvious here but Porthcawl beach and Ogmore? and the other one towards Sker rocks cant remember the name. Anyway welcome to the forum as was said the ace 250 is a good little machine. Best thing you can do in my opinion is join a club to meet other detectorists go on rallies, club land etc. Bit rich comming from me thinking about it lol (Im not in a club yet) but hopefully all will change tomorrow. Great name by the way why didnt I think of that lol
150aceboy
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »

Hi Grant and Keegan, welcome to the site both.
Being from Porthcawl you've obviously tried the beach, on a good day try Newton, there has been some good old finds come off there in the past.  
Next step is to approach a local farmer and just ask if you could use your detector on his land.
Seems easy i know, and speaking from experience, i still have not got a farm  Undecided , i was lucky that another member on the site , invited me up to his farm for a day's detecting.  We become great butty's and go detecting up there regular.
Another good bit of advice as been said , joining a club, there are lots of people on here to guide you on that.
By the way, i'm only in Sarn, Bridgend and i use the  garrett ace 150, great little detector , yesterday had a silver ring, my first, so i'm landed, if you go to detector finds on page you'll see it.
Anyway good luck with getting permission, as i was told on here, if you don't ask , you'll never know, so try it boys...
All the best
Ace  Wink

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:13:26 PM by 150aceboy » Logged
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »

a big welcome guys to the forum  Wink im sure us guys can sort you out something .old parks is allways a good place to start and get use to your detectors they are full of coins ringpulls and all sorts you will soon learn what to dig and whatnot to all the best guys regards phil Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
SimonH

Teknetics T2, Cwmbran

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:17:15 PM »

Hi Grant and Keegan,  welcome to the world of detecting Smiley

As someone as already said a good start is to join one of the clubs, they have monthly meetings and their own club land.  Doing this will also get you your membership for one of the metal detecting councils/federations which sorts out your public liability insurance etc,

Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »

Hi Grant and Keegan and welcome to DW, some sound advice from the lads but beware detecting can be very addictive!  Shocked

Hope to meet you both on a DW rally. Smiley Smiley

Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
The Wombles
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »

Thanks Guys
All your advise has been taken, yes a club would be my next step and in my current situation i will put my best foot forward lol and say the members of DW have all show great spirt and friendliness, hope to meet you out there somewhere.
Thanks Grant and Keegan
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »

E mail sent  Grant.

waltonbasinman
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:35:34 PM »

Hello Grant and Keegan. The Wombles hey, I get a feeling we may have litter free detecting Wales rallies in the future LOL  Grin As you can see from the help you are having already they are a brilliant bunch of people on here and there Knowledge and generosity is second to none. Hope to see you in the future and good luck with your searching.
The Wombles
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »

Thanks Mate

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal