Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: shw mae  (Read 7492 times)
mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« on: March 11, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »

hello,
i have just started a new chapter in my life of treasure seeking. i recieved my first detector about lunch time today after spending about a year checking out which machine i wanted  to embark upon a relationship with. i ended up with a dfx for a multitude of reasons, hype probably being one of them. however, they also appear to have a solid following with seriously dedicated users. my reasoning is that this would not have happened if the machine did not live up to a great deal of its reputation. i did consider waiting til april to get the new tesoro tiger shark as i quite like the idea of a lifetime guarantee. however it is not time tested and therefore whites won the day.
i checked out my garden and collected £1.62, pleanty of old cut nails, a small brass door knob, a couple of tools i had left out there at different times, some scrap bits of metal, a metal button, an old brass door lock, and a strange brass screwy thing. may not be much but its my treasure!! Grin
i work as a psychotherapist, have 1 wonderful daughter and two grandchildren. we have a staffy called tweet tweet and live in hope of the great welsh cache that will allow me to retire before i reach 45. i have a few years left before i get there but i figured i'd best get on with it now  Roll Eyes
well this is me and i look forward to sharing my hoarde of nails in the near future xx

Why live life from dream to dream and dread the day that dreaming ends....
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »

Grin  Welcome to Dw mate , dont worry if you looking for a hoard of nail when you off detecting you will have no problems to find thousands of them in couple weeks , but hope you will master your new machine well and wish you some very nice finds  soon . best of luck . Napoleon. Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »

Welcome to the forum M-D, you have a god time tested machine in the DFX and I'm sure it will find you lots of enjoyable finds over the years. You would of been limited with the Tiger shark plus the lifetime guarantee is only for the USA. There are a few DFX users on here who I'm sure will be only to happy to help if you have any niggles.

Also there are probably a lot of members who could do with your help Grin (me being one of them Embarrassed)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:45:50 PM »

Welcome M.D. We look forward to hearing about your nail hoards. Unfortunately you wont be on your own.
I think you'll be most welcome at the Rallies. Most of us have back problems. Must be all the digging.
Always someone to help with any problems. All you have to do is shout.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »

Welcome to the loony bin. This is where all the crazy, headphone wearing, mud splashing, cow-poo wading nutters hang out. If you see a load of us on a rally, it is surreal. Almost all of us do it in total silence, keeping at least 20 feet away from each other so our machines dont interfere with each other. Its a bit like fly fishing. You do it alone, in silence, almost shut off from the outside world, listening for the slightest sound that might be a worthwhile quarry.

I do it because the sound of the threshold blocks out the voices!

Apart from the aches and stiffness the next day after wandering for miles over rough ground, stopping occasionally to dig a hole and then fill it in, bending and standing, and swinging an Etrac that could take off a leg if you swing it too close to someone else, its a great hobby.

Getting covered in mud and manure, rained on and snowed on, frozen, roasted, and blown over, just adds to the fun.

Now and again you actually find coins and rings too!

Put with that a nice crowd who will help if anyone has a problem or quirk in their machine and its a perfect pasttime.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23:46 PM »

Welcome M-D. We now have at least three nurses, one psychiatrist and a psychotherapist on here. We could form our own multi-disciplinary team to deal with distressed detectorists.  Wink

The DFX is a good choice of machine. It has been around a long time, but is versatile and great on land or beach. I used one for several years, and still have it as a back-up, although haven't been out with it for a while. What settings have you tried so far? The pre-set programs are not great for UK conditions apart from Relic, and I'd advise you to move on to a custom program soon.

As far as I am aware, the master of the DFX on here is avalon. Tafflaff (Rob) also used one regularly until recently.

Once you get hooked on detecting, there's no looking back and the addiction is lifelong. Make sure you have therapy available for yourself!!
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 01:07:05 AM »

Welcome aboard mate their a good bunch on here, anything you need to know just ask and someone should have an answer. Good luck and good hunting  Wink
cheers
 Fred

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 01:34:56 AM »

Welcome M-D. We now have at least three nurses, one psychiatrist and a psychotherapist on here. We could form our own multi-disciplinary team to deal with distressed detectorists.  Wink

The DFX is a good choice of machine. It has been around a long time, but is versatile and great on land or beach. I used one for several years, and still have it as a back-up, although haven't been out with it for a while. What settings have you tried so far? The pre-set programs are not great for UK conditions apart from Relic, and I'd advise you to move on to a custom program soon.

perhaps with our finds we could arrange a multi-bed residential unit for those stressed out by junk!!
as far as settings go i have had a go with all the standard ones, bob bailey's inland 1 and a couple of others i found on the net, one being high trash as i discovered the secret stores of focuss nail department. another one was dp-high silver and one more called hi-pro. i think i am too early in my discoveries to say i noticed much of a difference between them other than i had a greater success with the programmed ones than i did with the standard fare. i need to get my head round understanding how to measure mineralisation as i have no clue. i am sure i read it somewhere  Shocked and all the little squeaks it makes, deciding which are real and which are bogus calls...

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:13 AM »

Welcome aboard mate their a good bunch on here, anything you need to know just ask and someone should have an answer. Good luck and good hunting  Wink
cheers
 Fred
thank you fred  Grin

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »

Welcome to the loony bin. This is where all the crazy, headphone wearing, mud splashing, cow-poo wading nutters hang out. If you see a load of us on a rally, it is surreal. Almost all of us do it in total silence, keeping at least 20 feet away from each other so our machines dont interfere with each other.
thanks eric, oddly enough i was running a double eliptical 8x6 today and i had my trowel in my right hand (im lefthanded) and as i was swinging my dark weapon of squeaky destructiveness the trowel was interfereing with the signal. it took a few empty digs to realise it, then i kept my trowel in my back pocket. i think i may well invest in a hard carbon trowel and it shouldn't matter at all then. i would have thought that the distance between my trowel and the coil head would not matter at all.... Shocked

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:49:35 AM »

Welcome M.D. We look forward to hearing about your nail hoards. Unfortunately you wont be on your own.
I think you'll be most welcome at the Rallies. Val
thanks val  Grin
i'm hoping that my nail collection will improve over time and maybe find those illusive gold ones that are mythical in these parts....
i would indeed like to join some rallies at some point. i think i want to learn a bit about my black beauty first so as i do not look a complete retard when i link in with other well seasoned hunters  Wink

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 01:58:19 AM »

Welcome to the forum M-D, you have a god time tested machine in the DFX and I'm sure it will find you lots of enjoyable finds over the years. You would of been limited with the Tiger shark plus the lifetime guarantee is only for the USA. There are a few DFX users on here who I'm sure will be only to happy to help if you have any niggles.

thanks chef geoff  Grin
i didn't realise the guarantee was only for american markets....hmmm well i'm glad of my choice then. i did like the look of the v3i but felt that at this juncture i cannot justify spending such a whopping amount. my v3i fund has £1.62 in it so far.... as i learn how little i know about the dfx i think many of the pro's on here will become a useful resource, now just another 1000 days to go to get my next tector!!  Shocked

mind_doctor
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »

Grin  Welcome to Dw mate , dont worry if you looking for a hoard of nail when you off detecting you will have no problems to find thousands of them in couple weeks , but hope you will master your new machine well and wish you some very nice finds  soon . best of luck . Napoleon. Grin
thank you for your kind words indeed. i think if i collect all the rubbish i find then maybe i should trade it in at the scrap metal dealers, i may end up with a few pence for several tons of rust.... Shocked

tyna

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 06:05:32 AM »

Welcome to the forum - may meet you at a rally one day  Smiley
nomad

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »

welcome...the site gurus will im sure be a font of knowledge..this is a cracking friendly site...im sure  you will fit right in..cheers paul

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal