Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Royal Charter shipwreck  (Read 2838 times)
sandpiper

« on: October 21, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »

Hi
the s4c documentary of the wreck is on tonight  930 pm  wednesday 21 st Oct its a real tragic story .If you like shipwrecks and gold then its one to watch .I watched it with subtitles on teletext 888 on sunday .I would have mixed feelings about finding any gold from this site  -almost too tragic for words  what would your feelings be ?Theres also stuff on the S4C website about the wreck including a veiw of the gold and posessions found.- one day I might be tempted to go there

you have to believe it to achieve it !!
wet feet again

xp Deus

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:05 PM »

this area of beach has seen lots of detectors over time, the wreck has also been salvaged many times,
also dived many times by local divers as only 100yards offshore and max 8 to 10 meters to seabed.
 should you get up there go in the royal oak pub they did have a gold coin to show people.

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:24:24 AM »

I have read the book about this shipwreck and yes it is a very tragic story. Well worth a read but can't remember the author's name. If I remember right, one story has it that a customs officer called on one house to see if they had any gold, and he was poured a cup of tea from a teapot that contained hidden gold coins.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
wet feet again

xp Deus

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »

yes the story is very sad,
 I think somewhere near400 people were lost on the royal charter. but there were gallant attempts to save lives by both locals and crew rogers a maltese crewman.
 there was over 400 shipwrecks around the country that night in 1859. The great eastern almost sank in hollyhead harbour.
As a diver we have the moral dilemma weather to dive on wrecks that have taken lives, look don't touch is now the norm but that was not the case 20 years ago + most of the wrecks around the country have bee salvaged at the time of sinking or modern day,
 is there a similar dilemma with metal detecting as most hordes were hidden by people fearing for their lives and not recovering items due to circumstances we don't know.
now theres a question

carling

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

i feel there must be a dilemma somewhere regards finding hoards,, these things were placed in the ground and commonly by people that never returned for there items did these people die? get drunk and not remember where they buried the stuff? or were the items placed in the ground as to never be found ,,was someones hopes and dreams included in the hoard? {such as offering to the gods} some hoards if used at the right time could have changed history as we know it,,,,,,then god know how many years later some herbert digs up these things so they can pay the mortgage and buy a new car,,so i dunno maybe they are being found and used in a way that may please our ancesters {another family trying to get on in life  the best way they can} will i stop looking on the off chance that there may be a huge hoard on the next swing ,no,,but i would feel that it was only right to leave a couple of coins in the findspot just as a tribute to the people that put them there in the 1st place. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal