Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com Rally 62 - We came, We saw, We found bugger all!  (Read 14334 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 30, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »

Detecting Wales Rally 62 – We came, We saw, We found bugger all!

Today I was determined not to make a repeat of the last rally where I woke up late, so this morning I was up and about by 6am with a pick up time from Taff Laff scheduled for 7am. My car is poorly, and due to go to the Dr’s on Tuesday, so today we were travelling in Taff’s motor.

The agreed time of 7am came and went, and by about 7.20 I was beginning to feel a tad edgy, by 7.30 I was on the phone. Unfortunately Taff had caught my sleepinitis and to make matters worse his car was refusing to go over 50mph without cutting out.

Anyway we finally got on the road, and managed to make a few hurried calls to two of DW’s finests, Mike and Chef who arranged the parking and got everyone set to enter the fields. Thanks both – no idea what we would have done without your help, as try as we might, Rob’s car wasn’t willing to go any faster. Rob and I arrived somewhat sheepishly and feeling car sick just as Cheffy finished his speech and that was it, we were into the fields.

The area we were in today on paper promised to have a wealth of history, added to that were assurances from the farmer that they had not had a rally on the farm (although the neighbouring farm had a few years ago). We all entered the pastures full of high hope,s and there were plenty of signals, just not a lot of finds of a great age.

The first find I got to see was in the delicate, yet  grubby hands of Ozzy Head Jo, and aptly was a badge circa 1950’s carrying the legend “Clean Hands For Health”. How odd to be found by a detectorist.

Next up was a livery button and a William III half penny for one of our Devon based members. The ground was certainly not being kind to the copper coins that we were finding. Most people seemed to have found a few and I think the best description would have been “blank green discs”.

I bumped into Da Monkey shortly after, who was beaming from ear to ear as he had just had a Harris Hawk on his arm! That’s a bit of an odd statement you might think, but not when the farmer uses one for rabbiting. I saw it in flight briefly, and it really was a thing of beauty to watch.

News reached my years that long standing DW member, and until now a non hammered coin finder Big X Honi aka John had found his first ever hammered coin! What a cracker it was, in the shape of a Elizabeth 1st Sixpence dated 1570. Well done  John – a quality find for a true gent. Nice one matey.

Shortly after that my camera decided it was going on strike – my last photo was Rob worrying the farmers pet lamb!

As most of you know I have been struggling a bit lately with a fractured knee and to be honest wandering around a muddy field is the last thing I should have been doing. By 3pm I was begging Rob to take me home as my knee was in agony.  So with empty finds pouches, aching bones and a slow car we headed home listening to the mighty Cardiff City throw away a 1-0 lead to lowly Peterborough.

As usual feel free to add your finds to the rest of this post. We heard of a bee hive thimble, stirrup, Vicky sixpence and Roman on the way home from other members.

Keep the faith
Neil

* 001.JPG (104.85 KB, 571x428 - viewed 339 times.)

* 003.JPG (112.21 KB, 571x428 - viewed 348 times.)

* 005.JPG (102.34 KB, 571x428 - viewed 339 times.)

* 007.JPG (119.38 KB, 571x428 - viewed 336 times.)

* 008.JPG (100.33 KB, 571x428 - viewed 341 times.)

* 010.JPG (114.96 KB, 571x428 - viewed 384 times.)

* 012.JPG (103.4 KB, 571x428 - viewed 410 times.)

* 014.JPG (100.17 KB, 571x428 - viewed 373 times.)

* 015.JPG (129.04 KB, 428x571 - viewed 405 times.)

* 013.JPG (86.5 KB, 428x571 - viewed 395 times.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:25:44 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »

As usual a good write up neil, i managed a viccy farthing and some tat but as usual enjoyed seeing everyone again, I think Rob under estimated the ''crop marks on his historical  Map'' !!!!!!!!!!!! Ill rob explain that one LMAO Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

See you all in a field soon
Nick

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »

(Aplogies Neil, posted in wrong topic, re=posted here Wink  )

Well I really enjoyed my day out, didnt find much, but it was nice to be out and about, but could have done with a bit less sh*t...  Taff's getting my dry cleaning bill  Grin

Finds were only coppers, ranging from George III to viccy that are IDable.

Had a great talk with a friendly local who was out with his family, 2 dogs and a really friendly Harris Hawk, the guy handed me his glove (I thought to hold for a minute) while he fished around in his bag, when he produced a bit of chick and told me to put the glove on, by this time the hawk was in a nearby tree, the guy called him and he flew straight to my hand, that was worth the trip just for that  Shocked  The hawk was really friendly and a testiment to the guy's training and bond with her, he even took the glove back and the bird just walked around on my arm and back of my hand, good job she was so friendly when I saw those tallens...

Thanks for the rally anyways guys, I saw a very nice beehive thimble and 3/4 of a hammered come out myself, and did hear of one further hammered but didnt see it, well done to those who found.

Next time dudes ...

* bw.jpg (45.89 KB, 800x600 - viewed 366 times.)

* harris1.jpg (88.21 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 392 times.)

* harris2.jpg (79.32 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 422 times.)

* harris3.jpg (174.94 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 470 times.)

* harris4.jpg (71.15 KB, 600x800 - viewed 526 times.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:55:14 PM by Da Monkey » Logged

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:52:21 PM »

Welldone neil great write up and congrats to everyone on the rally

WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:53:22 PM »

Welldone neil great write up and congrats to everyone on the rally
Did you find much today kidda  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Huh

WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »

(Aplogies Niel, posted in wrong topic, re=posted here Wink  )

Well I really enjoyed my day out, didnt find much, but it was nice to be out and about, but could have done with a bit less sh*t...  Taff's getting my dry cleaning bill  Grin

Finds were only coppers, ranging from George III to viccy that are IDable.

Had a great talk with a friendly local who was out with his family, 2 dogs and a really friendly Harris Hawk, the guy handed me his glove (I thought to hold for a minute) while he fished around in his bag, when he produced a bit of chick and told me to put the glove on, by this time the hawk was in a nearby tree, the guy called him and he flew straight to my hand, that was worth the trip just for that  Shocked  The hawk was really friendly and a testiment to the guy's training and bond with her, he even took the glove back and the bird just walked around on my arm and back of my hand, good job she was so friendly when I saw those tallens...

Thanks for the rally anyways guys, I saw a very nice beehive thimble and 3/4 of a hammered come out myself, and did hear of one further hammered but didnt see it, well done to those who found.

Next time dudes ...

Taff has a couple of pics with our feathered friend aswell

DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »

Ps3 black ops zombie stage mr

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »

Thanks to everybody for working so hard to organise these rallies.. I
really had a great time. I found a  German  Hindenberg 2 Reichsmark coin
with German eagle and Nazi Swastika, a coin weight, and a couple of buttons
one which got me pretty exited as it still had all its gilding on and I thought I had
found my gold stater. Thanks Geoff for programing my minelab for me. Can't
wait for the next rally
                                     Neil can you explain why in the middle of the photographs
of todays finds, you've put a picture of Mary and a little lamb ?  Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »

She's certainly not much of a looker....

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »

She's certainly not much of a looker....

neither is the lamb !!! Grin Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »

Beggers can't be chosers  Grin

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »

There are some photos of Taff with the Harris Hawk but the hawk has managed to get a court injunction to stop them being published on the ground that she was tricked into sitting on Taff's hand and would never do such a thing normally.  Cheesy
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin ; Geoff. I Don't think Taffs read this  thread yet  Grin Grin Grin

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

Great write-up Neil, I found loads...............of junk lol, Certainly never had a rally there that's for sure, as for the sh.t you lot seem to have got on you..where was it? I managed to avoid any of that, mind you I managed to avoid any coins too lol.
Oh well on to the next one.
sharkey
NWDD Member

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »

looks an interesting day. well done everyone, including hawky and lamb chop. eagerly awaiting rally 63!  Grin

*North Wales Dirt Diggers
*Chester Mob member #002
*XP Deus

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal