Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales.com Rally 61 - "It all went a bit Frank Spencer!"  (Read 36230 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »

A very disappointing rally considering the location. Sad

The fields were full of rubbish and foil, with a few georgian and modern coins mixed in

Its a toss up what was find of the day.

The crotal bell dating to around 1760 or the Somerset Volunteers badge which looks to date around 1880-1890

Considering its location and the farmers absolute word that he's not had detectorists on there prior to us it was very disappointing.

But how many have we had that have looked great on paper and have either been dead or surprisingly stuffed with finds and coins of an unexpected era.

It really does go to show research can be carried out, but until we have a rally all land is an unknown  Undecided .

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
HiHoSilver
Rally attendee

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »

I started digging iron things in the end. Anyone any idea what the item on the right is please? Left one is a buckle.

XP Deus v2.0 + Garrett Pro Pointer
Started 'tecting Sept 2011.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »

That was a very strange rally in that we were allocated so many fields in a prime location which produced very little considering.
The field next door (which by the way, is where most of the silver coins were found) was packed with signals and was only detected
by mistake, as the people who went in there, though it was part of the search area. They were soon told to leave that field.

Was a nice days out with good company but very disappointing to travel that far and cope with a 'bitingly' cold wind all day, only to discover
that once again, 'IMO' the fields had been cleaned of the usual finds that would be there in abundance if the information supplied to the organisers
had been correct. By lunchtime, I would estimate half the people who attended had left. By 15:15 I'd had enough and called it a day and my car companions
followed a few minutes later.
Thanks go to everybody who made today possible but I'm beginning to think that rallies held near these high profile sites with so much history, have
all been done to death over so many years, its difficult to get the 'hwyl' to visit another one.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
ysbytymike

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »

I started digging iron things in the end. Anyone any idea what the item on the right is please? Left one is a buckle.

Difficult to tell really but it resembles a kettle stand my gran used to have. Does it have holes on the corners where legs could have been attached?

HiHoSilver
Rally attendee

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »

Hmmm sorry I forgot to put a scale on it. It's about 4cm across. It only seems to have the holes which are showing in the picture. The 3 parts which look like they're filled in holes are just indentations in the metal.

ysbytymike

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 11:14:01 PM »

Forgot to mention, My headphones packed in after lunch and because I was half way down the field, rather than have to walk all the way back to the car
which was 10 yards away across a five foot wide hawthorn hedge, I just threw then onto the top of the hedge next to the car. Apparently, someone thought they'd
been lost and picked them up for safe keeping. Could the person who did this contact me via pm please.
Cheers
Mike

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »

I love the buckle Ben, just goes to show what we miss discking out iron, cut iron shoe buckles were very popular in the 1st half of the 18th century, costing more than silver ones.
The other item is an old heel plate from a shoe Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »

ok todays rally was a bit disapointing finds wise and iv read a few negative replies , everyone forgets the good rallies , penmark gilstonx3 etc etc when 20+ hammies loads of roman were found , you pays your money you takes your chance , dont knock it guys , we all have bad days and good days , just remember who does all the hard work sorting out the venues for us to detect on , they dont have a magic wand and work with the information at hand so dont knock them thank them for their efforts  Smiley Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 12:52:36 AM »

I agree Mike , If we knew what we were going to find, we wouldn't
need detectors. Thanks Rob, Neil and everyone who organise
these rallies, looking forward to Bridgewater.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:56 AM »

if we did'nt get bad days the good ones would'nt be as good  Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »

ok todays rally was a bit disapointing finds wise and iv read a few negative replies , everyone forgets the good rallies , penmark gilstonx3 etc etc when 20+ hammies loads of roman were found , you pays your money you takes your chance , dont knock it guys , we all have bad days and good days , just remember who does all the hard work sorting out the venues for us to detect on , they dont have a magic wand and work with the information at hand so dont knock them thank them for their efforts  Smiley Smiley

I generally find sweet FA at most rallies but enjoy the company and the exercise, and may i add im not forced to attend these rallies!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin like many others i attend because i want to and always never expect too much then anything good is a bonus, well done to all those people who braved the biting wind and still produced some lovely finds.

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
HiHoSilver
Rally attendee

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 08:14:31 AM »

Cheers Geoff I thought it would be something along those lines. Looks like it hadn't been finished properly as the 3 places it looks like nails should go to affix to shoe aren't drilled through.

anthonyjay

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »

The find on the right looks similar to a TRIVETT
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:52:35 AM by anthonyjay » Logged
Little_bro
NWDD Member

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »

I generally find sweet FA at most rallies but enjoy the company and the exercise, and may i add im not forced to attend these rallies!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin like many others i attend because i want to and always never expect too much then anything good is a bonus, well done to all those people who braved the biting wind and still produced some lovely finds.

I'm the same always good to catch up  Wink. As for it being cold I think your all wimpy. Come up to north Wales and we will show you some cold weather Grin lol

Heus, modo itera omnia quae mihi nunc nuper narravisti, sed nunc Anglice

NWDD & NCMD
Little_bro
NWDD Member

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »

Grin I kind of stuck to one field all day. Loads of iron and foil. My best find was a Plain copper spectacle buckle

Heus, modo itera omnia quae mihi nunc nuper narravisti, sed nunc Anglice

NWDD & NCMD

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal