Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Family of rabbits uncover 8,000-year-old archaeological 'gold mine'.  (Read 3568 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 04, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

By John Hall

A family of rabbits are believed to be responsible for unearthing an 8,000-year-old archaeological 'gold mine' near Land's End.

A haul of Stone Age arrow heads and flint tools found in a freshly dug network of rabbit warrens less than 200 yards from the Cornish landmark has led archaeologists to plan a full excavation of the site. Although a formal dig of the 150-acre area is yet to begin, initial analysis suggests there could be a large Neolithic cemetery, Bronze Age burial mounds and an Iron Age hill fort buried there.

Land's End has long been considered an area of historical interest as the spectacular views have led to a disproportionately large number of important people being buried there over several thousand years.

Although there are a number of important archeological sites in the local area, the latest Land's End dig will almost certainly be the first prompted by a family of rabbits.

The excavation of the site will be managed by a team from Wirral-based archaeologists Big Heritage.
Team leader Dean Paton, 30, told the Mirror: 'It seems important people have been buried here for thousands of years - probably because of the stunning views. [But] it's a million-to-one chance rabbits should make such an astounding find.'

Land's End has long been considered an area of historical interest. Big Heritage now plan to spend the next two years excavating the site Mr Paton says the rabbits dug two small burrows right next to each, dragging a number of historical artifacts to the surface as they did so.

He added: 'No one knows the scale of it, but it's a gold mine. A family of rabbits has just rewritten the history books.'
Big Heritage now plan to spend the next two years excavating the site.

* article-0-1B2A7A6200000578-475_634x473.jpg (53.64 KB, 634x473 - viewed 299 times.)

* article-0-1B2A7A5D00000578-22_306x508.jpg (25.75 KB, 306x508 - viewed 383 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
matthewbullingham123

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »

very good Read, good old rabbits.
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:24 PM »

Great read Neil

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

Great read Neil . Although it probably means a cull on the rabbits to stop them destroying
any evidence. Lucky rabbit feet anyone ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
welsh john

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:00:13 PM »

Seams funny to me but it looks like the arcaeologists are prepaired to give rabbits more credit then metal detectorists Undecided

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

By John Hall

A family of rabbits are believed to be responsible for unearthing an 8,000-year-old archaeological 'gold mine' near Land's End.

A haul of Stone Age arrow heads and flint tools found in a freshly dug network of rabbit warrens less than 200 yards from the Cornish landmark has led archaeologists to plan a full excavation of the site. Although a formal dig of the 150-acre area is yet to begin, initial analysis suggests there could be a large Neolithic cemetery, Bronze Age burial mounds and an Iron Age hill fort buried there.

Land's End has long been considered an area of historical interest as the spectacular views have led to a disproportionately large number of important people being buried there over several thousand years.

Although there are a number of important archeological sites in the local area, the latest Land's End dig will almost certainly be the first prompted by a family of rabbits.

The excavation of the site will be managed by a team from Wirral-based archaeologists Big Heritage.
Team leader Dean Paton, 30, told the Mirror: 'It seems important people have been buried here for thousands of years - probably because of the stunning views. [But] it's a million-to-one chance rabbits should make such an astounding find.'

Land's End has long been considered an area of historical interest. Big Heritage now plan to spend the next two years excavating the site Mr Paton says the rabbits dug two small burrows right next to each, dragging a number of historical artifacts to the surface as they did so.

He added: 'No one knows the scale of it, but it's a gold mine. A family of rabbits has just rewritten the history books.'
Big Heritage now plan to spend the next two years excavating the site.

Nice report Neil, that's wet my appetite Cheesy
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »

I want to know how you bury a hill fort Huh
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 01:17:20 AM »

With great difficulty  Cheesy

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal