Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Father’s terror when schoolboys, return from metal detecting with WWII shells!  (Read 2669 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 15, 2014, 03:51:32 PM »

By Luke Garratt

Two schoolboys sparked a bomb scare when they brought home two warheads after spending a day metal detecting in a field in Kent.

The boys, Kane Byrne and Alex Taylor, both 12, from Folkestone, were looking for trinkets and coins when they discovered the shells from WWII, which have since been identified as anti-tank shells.
The shells which can 'vaporise anything within 6ft' were eventually destroyed in a controlled explosion by the police.

Kane Byrne (left) and Alex Taylor (right) both 12, discovered the unexploded anti-tank shells when they were searching for trinkets in a local field using a metal detector

The muddied wartime rocket heads were destroyed by the police and bomb disposal experts, and were identified from these photographs by Mike Woodland, Kane Byrne's grandfather

The ancient missiles were found in a field in the seaside village of Folkestone, Kent, while the boys had a day off

They were identified by Kane's grandfather, Mike Woodland, a former Royal Engineer bomb disposal expert, who said the weapons were defused but they needed to call the police. 

Kane's father Karl Byrne placed the warheads in a bag and position them at the back garden so they didn’t overheat and explode.

Byrne, 42, an area manager for Lidl, said: 'When I saw those warheads in the house
my face said it all.

'They wanted to show me the treasures that Kane had brought back.

'I felt panicked but kept calm for the children. I knew what those objects were.'

The boys went exploring when they had the day off from Dover Grammar School for Boys because of flooding.

Kane said: 'We didn’t really know what they were at first. But I’m glad we found them because they’ve now been made safe.

'It’s not put me off metal detecting but the police told me that next time I find something I’m not sure about to tell my dad first.
Alex, also from Folkestone, added: “We dug it out and it looked like a large bottle. It was about 1ft deep in the ground.

'We took it back to Kane’s house and cleaned it and decided to go back to see if there were more.

'We found the second one had been right next to the first and brought that back, too!"

* article-2539901-1AAD2F6600000578-827_634x934.jpg (81.46 KB, 634x934 - viewed 507 times.)

* article-2539901-1AAD313300000578-32_634x461.jpg (37.62 KB, 634x461 - viewed 512 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »

O.M.G.

Grego
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:23:16 PM »

oooopsey Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:38:12 PM »

Lol me and Liner knows a bloke who found one of them, he took it back to his dads work shop to cut it open, he actually started to, in till Burt his dad stopped him Cheesy Cheesy he went that far he hit the eggy small Grin
Svaipa

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »

Shivers, wouldn't like to stick my shovel into anything like that.  Shocked

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal