Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overlapping you coil  (Read 5211 times)
flipper
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:40:22 PM »

I went out the other morning first light... Watching the sun come up over the hill, the mist disperse into the air and the field covered in due, I hiked up the hill looking back at my footprints in the wet grass.

When i started out sweeping the ground i were chuffed that i could see a 4ft wide band behind me... left by my metal detector Grin . After 10 meters or so i turned and done the same. this was great as i could see where i had been very easily.

Now when it came to going horrizontal i were shocked to see how much my overlapping had slipped over time, and what i could have missed Shocked Huh

I found these articles whilst surfing and thought it may be of some help with fellow's new to the hobby like myself, its surprising how little ground you actually cover going only in a straight line

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/issue5/coinshooting.htm

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/issue7/coinshooting.htm

Hope this helps... flip (not that it increased my finds that day Tongue)

Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

Went out and did a bit of detecting this morning. Couple of copper grots, some unidentifiable scrap lead...another flaming Yale key! Three from this field.And enough ring pulls to sink a battleship...flamin kids....

Took a nice pic and had a lovelly walk in beautiful weather. Saw a Goshawk and aome other wildlife.

I think my photography is overtaking my metal detecting. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:06:35 PM by Jonola (Jon) » Logged
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »

NICE ONE  PHIL   ALSO  LOVELY PIC Grin Grin   I TOO  AM INTO PHOTOGRAPHY BUD

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »

Nice one Flipper. I went out detecting with Hedgehog a while back and did a grid with trees as markers and found a few pieces of lead and a George shilling. Moving on I noticed still the dew on the ground and realised I had quite a few missed spaces. As it was tea time I moved for me cuppa and went to a different part of the field on the return. Hedgehog redid the trees a few days later and if my memory serves me correct. TWO HAMMERED. We live and learn.
detectordave

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »

For best ground coverage and if the site allows is to walk backwards then you can see what you have missed or tie string to your ankles so your step cannot be to long.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
waltonbasinman
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:21:17 PM »

Tafflaff had the best idea and I to now have one and that is a GPS tracker. You will be surprised what it reveals and I for one will definitely return to some of my fields having seen the early results.
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:44:35 PM »

Nice one Phil,i love the peace & quiet when out tekking on a secluded hill side & love the views you sometimes get that stretch for Miles !

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
hedgehog
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:00:28 AM »

Nice one Flipper. I went out detecting with Hedgehog a while back and did a grid with trees as markers and found a few pieces of lead and a George shilling. Moving on I noticed still the dew on the ground and realised I had quite a few missed spaces. As it was tea time I moved for me cuppa and went to a different part of the field on the return. Hedgehog redid the trees a few days later and if my memory serves me correct. TWO HAMMERED. We live and learn.

Nothing to do with your methods Paul, it happens all the time , sometimes when the ground has been cleared of other signals and you hit it at a slightly different angle the finds come up.
The method used is supposed to be in a union jack pattern but hell it gets boring if nothing turns up, many times I have gone off at a tangent and picked something nice up within minutes of giving up on the search pattern.
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »

The thing we would do having (hopefully) found a hoard or purse loss was to knock in a round post then tie a thin rope from machine to post and use all metal none motion mode.

Trundle round in a circle and the rope winds round the post pulling the detector head in as you move but only by a fraction so the hottest/deepest centre of the coil covers all the ground and not a square inch is missed. This was especially helpful with detectors that only had concentric coils.
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »

personally i find it impossible to keep
walking in a straight line and not missing
ground when you look back at the dew you
can see you have been all shapes i dont
think our brains corispond with our legs

simon c

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 10:38:32 PM »

Walking in a straight line is difficult if you don't have a fixed point to walk to,i have used sticks as markers when i have been grid searching it does help a bit.Brian your method sounds brilliant i never would have thought of that,and i can think of a few sites where that will be of use,thanks for posting it  Grin
hedgehog
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »

Trouble is with that one Simon you go dizzy and fall over  Grin
Junkman

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »

One little tip from me would be to try swinging the coil to your side as opposed to in front of you in certain circumstances, especially when you want extra coverage.

When you swing in front, the coil takes a Zig Zag line as you move forward, leaving ground uncovered. Swing to the side and at the backstroke, the coil gets great overlap even when you are moving forwards and then as the coil comes back towards you it only 'un overlaps' for the very last part of the swing. You can still keep walking at a reasonable pace but you won't miss much. Machines like the T2 work better and deeper with a faster sweep speed so you don't want to end up at a crawl, in which case a side swing works a treat.

This also works Very well when detecting on long stubble and maybe following the tyre tracks as the swing is not so wide but you get the coverage between rows of stubble.

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal