Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach detecting tips please  (Read 5008 times)
rainyday

« on: April 13, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »

I have done a bit of detecting in the dry sand with my 250 ace but not had a go yet on the wet sand with my new x-terra 705.
Ive tried to look through old posts to look for tips but cant find any.
Ive watched some vids on YouTube and people mention "cuts"?   Also waiting for low tide etc?  Is there a science behind it or is it a matter of just getting out there and having a go?
Any advice please?
Thanks
Dean
LEJAG
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »

There is no exact science on the beach
in general, look the hard, compact soil will give heavy objects
Lead indicating good areas for gold

search at all metals and dig all targets
why PI is best on the beach hear an iron is a good thing
it helps to learn the beach and in the end to find
good luck

Detector used: Pulsepowers Goldscan 5c / Aquastar / Aquamanta
Goldquest SSV3 / Nexus Coronado / Vista Gold / Nokta golden sens

(forgive my english ...)
rainyday

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »

Thank you for the info, I'm looking forward to getting out and giving a go.
Dean
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »

Hi Dean, I would say first as soon as you get in to serious wet sand searching, get a Minelab soverign, I'm not knocking the X Tera it's just the sovereigns are the beach masters with out doubt, possibly hooked up to the 15 " wot coil for best ground coverage and extra depth, I've had PIs ok if your back is strong and you are prepared to dig lots of iron  Grin. That said most beaches are quit different, as a rule get out on low tides particularly big springs , look for black sand this is where the goodies lie, and older jewellery, winter storms can create gullies along the beach so can just the turn of the tide, these can be just slight depressions in beach to a few feet deep if you see them work it well. Look for stones showing or other objects, wind can play a huge factor in stripping feet of the beach I've seen 6 ft of south coast beaches if this happens take time of work sick it will be worth it Lol, if this happens you can normally pick stuff of the surface. Just get out as much as you can on beaches, oh and don't for get try ang get the losses before they sink out of range after the holiday makers has all gone home on a sunny day. Also check out Bill Harris ( Wiilie the Wizzards ) new articles in Treasure Hunting he is the master of beaches, I've had the pleasure of detecting abroad with him years ago, he gives lots of advice and tips.....Good luck Dean.  Wink
rainyday

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 07:58:11 PM »

Many thanks for a detailed reply, I'll take on board what you have said. Asuch as I'd like to get out most of the time it's a bit of a drive to the coast for me but I do tend to go most weekends now the campervan season has started Smiley
I went for the xterra after a bit of research as I thought most of my time would be spent inland.
When you say black sand what makes it black is it where the lower layers are exposed?
Thanks
Dean
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »

I know Dean, you have to way up where you plan on detecting most, the X Tera is a good bet. The black Sand is highly mineralised that's why the PI machines can handle its effects, when you get on beach every now and then dig holes to see if you can locate the black sand, most of the time it's deep, unless some sand has been removed, when you find it stick in that area and work it the goodies are there, sometimes it stinks this also is a good sign. Wink
rainyday

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:25:47 AM »

Ok thank you for the advice
, I will let you know how I get on  Smiley
Dean
rainyday

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:58:45 AM »

Can you tell me where to find the Bill Harris artical please?
Thanks
Dean
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »

He ran articles in treasure hunting through out the 80s& 90s every month explaining beach searching techniques from Newquay Cornwall to his beaches at North Wales and some abroad, if you can get back copies you will learn a lot, failing that check out the last couple of issues of T/Hunting he has started a new series of articles.  Wink
rainyday

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »

Ok many thanks
I'll have see what I can find  Smiley
Dean

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal