Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first outing  (Read 4987 times)
Matt
Rally attendee

« on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »

Well I finally got myself a detector (Sov GT) and headed for the beach to try it out. After just two hours of searching on what is admittedly a rarely used and comparatively clean beach not only did I discover the treasures pictured (yes that is 26 pence in legal tender my friends), I learned a great deal too.

As a newbie I would like to pass on two pieces of info that I learned this weekend that may be of benefit to other newbies:
1. Even though you may start detecting at 6 o’clock in the morning in the remotest corner of a deserted beach that stretches for miles with not a sole in sight, when you turn around there will be a small child standing there with an ice cream asking you what you are doing. Try not to scream as this just attracts its parents as well.
2. Your wife/partner will not be as impressed as you are that your expensive new detector is able to find a wire hair grip at six inches in sand so best not mentioned unless you wish to hear a detailed cost/time analysis comparison between metal detecting and buying F%$*!?G hairgrips in Tesco’s.

All in all though thoroughly enjoyed myself but think that now I know what to do I’ll try the busier beaches next week. Hopefully by then I will have regained some movement in my right arm.

* Broughton Hoard.JPG (246.35 KB, 1750x990 - viewed 380 times.)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »

Stick at it mate! Very funny tips!

Patience and perseverance is the key with detecting - it will happen on the finds front, just stick at it! The machines you have is a cracker it just takes time.

Come in land for a day out on a DW Rally - its a whole different experience.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »

some outstanding nails there mate...and a first class hair pin, or as the americans call them "a bobby pin"!.. Wink Cheesy

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »

keep at it.when the anoying child pops up give em a slap when nobody is looking ,works for me lol Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
welshjohn

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »

Hey Matt,

have you considered hip or chest mounting your control box.  There's no need to spend a fortune; you can get some cracking bags at the Army Surplus shop like the one below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-Combat-Travel-Utility-Waist-Bum-Bag-Leg-Holster-Money-Tactical-Belt-Black-/380440405523

I used to use a Sovereign Elite with a 15 inch Wot coil on a straight shaft.  Used to hip mount the control box and get busy on the beach.  You say that you have arm ache; the sov can be heavy with the control box on the stem.  Give the hip mounting a go, you won't look back.

Good hunting

John
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:32:22 PM »

Excellent post Mat and one of the funniest I've read for a long while, probably made even more so as I think most of us can relate to it.
As John has said, you may find a hip mount would help or as I always did, mount the control box behind the arm at the top of the stem. the weight is obviously still there but it has a greater counterbalance effect on the coil and so feels lighter on the arm Wink
Matt
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »

Thanks chaps. I did think about hip mounting the the box but was thinking it would make digging difficult. You can take your headphones off easily and put them down with the detector when digging but doesn't the cable from the control box get in the way if its hip mounted?

Also since I can't find one ready made to buy I was thinking of adapting a golf bag bipod stand to fit on to the small stand/bracket thing at the top of the sov's stem so that I can just flip the legs out and leave the detector control box and wires well above the sand/water. Just waiting for one with carbon fibre legs to come up on e-bay. Do you know if anyone sells these?

Thanks for the encouragement and thanks to John for the link, I'll try one of those waist bags.

Matt
Findmetoo

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »

Hi Matt,

Don't listen to Dances with Badgers,  when I have children watching, I get a coin out of my pocket and pull it out of the hole and give it to him.  There are delighted and rush back to their parents to show them. (Future Detectors ?)  Don't suggest giving a child money if their parents aren't with them though !!!!!
Ray

Ray the ring finder
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:50:17 AM »

less suspicious if u give them a quick slap lol Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
peanut

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »

thanks Matt I so needed a good larf this morning. You are so right about the little kid with the icecream and the other half  Grin

I have tried to equate my detector costs to the cost of her equine pursuits but to no avail, she wins any argument there.   I usually end up with some pathetic parting shot like well at least I have something valuable to show for my imput whereas you only have a huge steaming pile of you know what Roll Eyes

If you can ignore the whining kids in tow its a magical feeling being out there in the middle of nowhere on your own with just the sound of the waves and the seagulls ,never knowing what the next signal will turn up ahhh bliss Wink
peanut

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:49 AM »

Grin Grin
less suspicious if u give them a quick slap lol Smiley
Grin Grin Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »

That argument sounds familiar Peanut.  Think yourself lucky your other half only has the one hobby. I have both. Shocked
Although I don't ride any more. My old horse and me are retired from the show ring but I still have him and the expense of keeping him. And he's been lame for 2 weeks. Farrier and Vet, not to mention bedding and dressings.
I think thats why Hubby didn't think twice before ordering yet another plane. It's only Huh he says and hopes I wont ask about the engine and servers and batteries etc.  I have been known to say it's a good job I don't fly my detector. Shocked
Still one things for sure You can't take it with you.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal