Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman settlement unearthed in Syon Park, west London  (Read 2163 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »

Courtesy of BBC Online 17th November 2010

A Roman settlement filled with ancient artefacts and human remains has been found on a west London building site. Archaeologists excavating the listed Syon Park site made the discovery of more than 11,000 Roman items just half a metre below the ground.

They were digging on the plot of land ahead of the construction of a new hotel on the outskirts of the historic Syon Park Estate, near Brentford. Part of one of Roman Britain's most important roads was also found.

About 11,500 fragments of pottery, 100 coins and jewellery were uncovered by the experts from the Museum of London Archaeology.

Jo Lyon, a senior archaeologist at the museum, said: "We were extremely fortunate to discover such a comprehensive repertoire of Roman finds and features so close to the surface.

"They tell us a great deal about how the people of this village lived, worked and died.

"It helps us build a picture of the Roman landscape and shows how the busy metropolis of Londinium connected with the rest of Roman Britain."

The site was excavated in 2008, but the fascinating discoveries have only now been revealed. Archaeologists said the Roman settlement had remained remarkably undisturbed for almost 2,000 years.

Part of a late Bronze Age gold pennular ribbon bracelet was found at Syon Park A section of one of Roman Britain's most important roads was revealed, linking Londinium with the Roman town of Silchester and an ancient tributary of the Thames.

The artefacts found included two shale armlets, fragments of a lava quernstone and a late Bronze Age (1000-700 BC) gold bracelet.

The Duke of Northumberland, whose family has held residence at Syon Park for more than 400 years, said: "Syon Park has a rich and remarkable history.

"The Roman findings are an incredible addition to this legacy and emphasise Syon Park's place as a prominent landmark in ancient British history."

Some of the historic finds are expected to go on display at the hotel which is due to open at the site next year.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:05:57 PM »

Wow what a site. One day I am sure Detecting Wales will find a site like this but is it not just great when we all keep re writing the Historic Map of Britain.
shunggav

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »

wow what a find,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one day

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

Yes, thats what I keep saying. There's Archaeology here, it just hasn't been found yet.
Some of the powers that be are still saying the Romans didn't come this far west. I'd love to proove them wrong. Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal