Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Liners roman silver  (Read 3559 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« on: December 26, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »

Hi all,

Going through Liners collection of detecting finds, to see what I can add to my collection Cheesy Cheesy I came across this roman silver, but im struggling to ID it, there is some pretty good detail left on it what or roman experts will make light work of, im sure......Any help would be great........Thanks in advance Wink  

* 027 (Medium).JPG (141.38 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 490 times.)

* 028 (Medium).JPG (140.81 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 491 times.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:48:42 PM by Dale » Logged
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »

think its Vespasian and an early one 60 - 70 ad

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »

Well Vespasian would be a good shout if he had lots of hair and a beard  Grin
It's good old Septimius Severus with Victory on the reverse 193-194 AD Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »

maybe he got a haircut and a shave  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
liner

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »

geoff whats your thoughts on the 2 holes? Looks to have been mounted at one timeor another? Thanks for the ID  liner
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »

Ummm? his coins are infamously low in silver content due to the amount he spent on wars etc so I'm slightly intrigued by the green  corrosion next to the hole and whether this is the copper content leaching or a sign that it once had copper fittings.
Two holes would suggest it was hung rather than mounted as when threaded they would have allowed it to hang flat, also their placing means that the coin would only have seemed the right way up to the wearer. The piercing looks crude as there appears to be a prominent bur around the holes suggesting it has been punched rather than drilled.
As to when it was pierced is another thing, pierced Roman coins are not an unusual find in Saxon graves but no less so in uniquely Roman settings either Huh
liner

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »

Thanks Geoff  Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »

Liner I don't know if you know this but when Geoff makes a positive id it that the person straight in to contract for a set of chefphones find the full range @ www.chefphones.com Grin

Nice id Geoff Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »

it's from one of the more Eastern mints too (Emesa or Laeodicia probably) by the looks of it - certainly travelled before being dropped.
liner

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

Thanks probono for the additional info  at the same time I also had a silver denarius of Otho  that was one of my better days detecting  wish they were all like that  Grin
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »

Thanks probono for the additional info  at the same time I also had a silver denarius of Otho  that was one of my better days detecting  wish they were all like that  Grin

Liner was it the same day I lost Johns denarius back in the rough plough Undecided? I still think of it now Roll Eyes I must have been 10 when it happened, I s**t myself telling him it was gone lol, I remember him chatting to you all excited about finding it, while butter fingers hear had all ready lost it Shocked, it was retrieved in the end, but it took some finding with the old 2mx Wink  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:30:31 PM by Dale » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 09:57:06 PM »

Thanks probono for the additional info  at the same time I also had a silver denarius of Otho  that was one of my better days detecting  wish they were all like that  Grin

As I've only ever found one denarius (also a Septimius Severus) - any day where you find a denarius is special - two is just being greedy  Grin!

And the other one an Otho to boot!

I admit I've had, I suppose three very good days detecting since I've started, so I shouldn't complain! Smiley
liner

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »

Thanks probono for the additional info  at the same time I also had a silver denarius of Otho  that was one of my better days detecting  wish they were all like that  Grin

Liner was it the same day I lost Johns denarius back in the rough plough Undecided? I still think of it now Roll Eyes I must have been 10 when it happened, I s**t myself telling him it was gone lol, I remember him chatting to you all excited about finding it, while butter fingers hear had all ready lost it Shocked, it was retrieved in the end, but it took some finding with the old 2mx Wink  

yes Dale that's the same day my toes still curl when i think of it ..........been i the ground for near on 2000 years and when it was found you lost it within 2 mins lol   if you remember i was coming home from work and spotted the farmer in the field ploughing it by the time i got home and ready for detecting then went back to the field there was 15 plus detectors in the field going like mad. we were actually following the plough almost running just to get the first signal as it had never been ploughed before. i cant remember the exact amount of silver's found but it was deffo in double figures  Shocked 
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 12:16:18 AM »

Sounds like it was a special day. You don't hear of many like that nowadays.
liner

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25:22 AM »

Sounds like it was a special day. You don't hear of many like that nowadays.
your exactly right probono that sort of day is few and far between mate   Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal