Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Archaeological test Pit  (Read 10073 times)
peanut

« on: May 10, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »

anyone ever dug  a test pit in their garden ?  Grin

If you have got a manicured lawn I expect erindoors woud'nt let you anywhere near it with a spade lol

I've always fancied giving it a try as we have a 16 century chapel in our garden and I've already found a pilgrim's badge and a Charles 1st Farthing just by doing a little weeding. Shocked

Well the time has come as they say.!  I need to remove the lilac trees and rebuild our bird feeding station and replant the area so I have a 3x2 metre plot I can dig up at last . I'm just waiting for the sun to make a show as I don't fancy digging up to me knees in water.

When I first came here 13 years ago there was loads of broken ceramics strewn around under the trees and the neighbour's kid used to come in and collect it all. I expect a lot of dateable evidence has already been removed but I'm sure to find more beneath the surface.

I have tried to detect here once or twice but there is simply too much iron and rubbish ...its impossible.

If anyone else fancies having a go, there is an excellent guide https://www.archeox.net/digging-test-pit that will tell you how to go about it and how to record everything properly.

* 16century chapel test pit.jpg (272.69 KB, 750x562 - viewed 624 times.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:04:28 AM by peanut » Logged
peanut

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

isn't there anyone interested in Archaeology Huh Undecided  maybe you're all only interested in getting hammered  Grin Grin Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »

Is it your time of the month Nick? lol. I'm afraid if you post up links, people will read them and find them very interesting but most won't come back and tell you, if your posting info to help...do it for the love Grin
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »

im intrested in test pits in me garden but i,d need at least 3 skips to take away all the iron id have to get through Wink

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
win

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »

I'd be interested but its probably the way to a rapid divorce.
rich
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »

Hi Peanut I am up for digging a test pit where do you live can I keep what I find or will it be a 50/50 split Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »

When we first moved down here our place was standing in a piece of field with sheep wire round it. Not even a daffodil in 'the garden'.
Once again I had to set to and get it sorted. This is the last time, I thought, so everything had to be double dug and planted to last.
I've always had a thing about pottery so every bit of interesting stone had to be examined. I have several bits that could be very old. I've often said I'd take them to get an I.D /age but never have. A test pit is a great idea. Anyone interested, try a veggie plot. Runner beans are easy to grow. Roll Eyes

Val

p.s. Look what I did. All my own work.

* Back Garden 2.jpg (124.1 KB, 640x360 - viewed 635 times.)

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
LUCKY

V3i & Highland Innovations Headphones User

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:01:07 AM »

You have created a lovely area in your garden to relax in Val.  I'm not green fingered so have a lawn with a border of flowers.
peanut

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:57:47 AM »

Is it your time of the month Nick? lol. I'm afraid if you post up links, people will read them and find them very interesting but most won't come back and tell you, if your posting info to help...do it for the love Grin

I ain't got no love for any human Geoff  ......I hate everyone equally  Angry  I'm just a grumpy old git and I blame it on my genes Grin

Win... haven't you got a little square of garden somewhere you could turn into a wildlife haven ?? Wink nod nod wink wink .or a small herb garden etc

Val thats a beautiful garden , well done. it looks very relaxing and tranquill , somewhere to relax after a stressful day

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:49:15 AM by peanut » Logged
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »

Val , that is a stunning garden any chance to detect  Grin joking .Again you have done a very good job.Nordine. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »

Thanks for the praise Lucky, Peanut and Nordine. It was a long time in the planning and a lot of hard work but it payed dividends in the end.

Nordine, it's already been done to death, complete with holes in the lawn.  Good training area. Dig as you wish to be dug by. Roll Eyes
Now Peanuts garden, on the other hand, is the one to have a mini rally in. A 16th cent Chaple, that sounds promising. Any chance Peanut ?

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
peanut

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »

Now Peanuts garden, on the other hand, is the one to have a mini rally in. A 16th cent Chaple, that sounds promising. Any chance Peanut ?

Val

unfortunately the garden is full of 400+ years worth of rubbish and is almost impossible to detect.
I found a Charles ll farthing and a mediaeval cast bronze rider and horse, eyes only  Grin
Judging by my test pit it looks like the medieaval layer is over 12" deep  Shocked
peanut

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »

I thought I'd update you on my progress with the test pit.

I took it down in two 4" layers and then finding the soil becoming more compacted with some signs of burning took it down a further 2-3" carfully with a trowel.
The final surface is very compacted and is clearly a working surface of the stables . Judging by the difference between the external ground level and internal floor levels of the chapel the mediaeval ground level is likely to be 12" -18" further down.

I will tidy up the edges and sides and  record all existing surfaces then I intend to take a small area down until I find 'natural' if I can .

The general rule of thumb is for every cubic metre of earth dug it expands to 2.5 times the cubic capacity. As I have carefully sifted every square inch of it it has probably expanded fourfold .!  Shocked  I've got bags of gorgeous sieved loam all over the garden groan.

If you look carefully at the bottom of the image 'looking north east ' you might be able to see the various layers of activity and burning that have been cut through already. there are two pinkish layers sandwiching a burnt layer.

Unfortunately 2x posts holes had been dug right in the middle of the test pit some time in the past and you can see one with some pea gravel in it and the other still contains the remains of a wooden post which had rotted beneath ground level.

When i get a chance to wash the bits of tile and pottery and bone etc in the two terracotta pots I'll post a piccy.

* test pit backdrop.jpg (195.59 KB, 600x490 - viewed 454 times.)

* test pit looking northeast.jpg (166.38 KB, 600x362 - viewed 544 times.)

* test pit base 10inches.jpg (167.36 KB, 600x450 - viewed 556 times.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:48:27 PM by peanut » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »

Nice work Nick, it should be an eye opener to see what layers you come across Wink
archie

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »

dont need a test pit, the bloody moles are doing it for me.  quick, wheres the shotgun!!!

started with an Ace 250 now upgraded to F75

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal