Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Trip to darkest Herefordshire.  (Read 3856 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:20:36 AM »

Went out today with Sir Rob of Tafflaff to the deepest vaults of South Herefordshire. The area where permission had been granted is rife with history from the Palaeolithic through to the second world war. The parish has finds from the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic. Bronze age burials and finds. Iron Age fort and enclosures and finds. A Roman Fort in the bend of the river and scatterings of Roman pottery from most of the parish. A lost Saxon 5th century church. Medieval church and field systems and medieval buildings throughout the parish. You must of got the picture by now. Well having found the farmer and finding our boundaries we set of with our farm map in hand kindly given by the farmer and decided to try the fields near the River to the South of the parish. Kitted up we headed out and spent a couple of hours working across the field and we met in the middle of the field for a brief discussion on progress and somehow came to the conclusion that we had actually stepped into a different farms fields and beat a hasty retreat back to the cars in a hope we had not been spotted. Whilst on that field we did work out that this farm Is not small and we felt very confident that we would need to home in on the finds and when we did we would be rewarded. Re-sited near the centre of the village we headed out again and spent the next couple of hours detecting and as the day drew to a close we started finding some better finds. Not totally sure what Rob found but my identifiable finds were a probable medieval candleholder, and a William 3rd Farthing. George 2nd coin turned into a medallion and late on a 17th / 18th century one penny token. Throughout the day I found what must have been a ton of lead. Seriously there was a lot. But thanks for the day out Rob. Brilliant company, Great place and it is a place that you get a good feeling about. A quick return needed as I think we probably did less than half a percent of the available land and you know it will get better.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:22:21 AM by waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »

Here is a picture of the main man in action. I am sure if his detector broke he could still smell it at a hundred paces.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:37:33 AM »

There are big clues to what may be around with the re used stonework in the church. Images such as this have been around since the Romans though we know it more from the Second World War. This has been re used in the medieval church and is probably from the Saxon period.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:40:05 AM »

Looks a decent area Paul. Good luck! Hope the Quattro pulls out the goodies!
hedgehog
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »

Looks like it was a great day, where's the pic of the candle holder Paul, I like them as an object.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »

on it,s way Steve.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:11:37 AM »

NICE WRITE UP THERE PAUL   ON WHAT LOOKS TO BE A VERY GOOD LITTLE PLACE ,,,,,,, IM SURE  THAT WITH THAT AMOUNT OF HISTORY THERE   ,,, THE FINDS WILL SOON BE  FLYING OUT MATE ,,,,  Grin Grin Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
waltonbasinman
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »

Here we are Steve. Made of Bronze the square piece at the bottom has broke off the stem I think but if you think it is something else I am open to suggestions.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »

Here are the token, the William 3 and the George reused as a pendant. The George is a George 3 not two.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »

Good write up Paul, did'nt get a chance last night as I was invaded by family last night as Its my birthday today ( cards and money to P.O box 342345 please)  Cheesy

Got to agree with Paul this area is absolutely stuffed to the gills with history from every era, I found it fascinating that Paul could look across a valley and pick out details on fields like he was looking at a giant 3d O.s  map.  He would point out a detail to me and say

"See the ridge going around that mound in the field Rob?"

I'd be nodding , and more often grinning manicly only for Paul to point out I was looking at an ant hill 12 foot in front of us, and then direct my gaze to the relevant field. Actually you'd think that that with Pauls ability to read fields and my map reading skills (15 years of delivery driving)  that after the 1st hour we wouldnt have been stood at the top of a field in the wrong farm like a couple of  LEMONS Cheesy .

I've been working on the farmer and his wife for a month to get this farm and I must say what a Gent he is. He washed his boots Scurried into the house and came out with 2 maps of his farm. 20 fields with some very interesting names. What I did give the farmer which seemed to put him at ease was a laminated A5 sheet of paper. On there I printed a photocopy of my F.I.D licence its rules, My address, Telephone number, Car Reg, make , model , and colour. He appreciated this and I think we've all got to remember, we call them  "our farms"  but they're not... They're someones livelyhood and Its up to us to prove to the farmer that we're responsible enough to detect on his property.

All in all a fabulous day , good company,  not many finds for me - Geoge iii farthing , edward Penny, and a pocket full of lead. Cant wait for a return journey though the distance will probably hinder me a little.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:19:36 AM by Rob (tafflaff) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:36:21 AM »

What I did give the farmer which seemed to put him at ease was a laminated A5 sheet of paper. On there I printed a photocopy of my F.I.D licence its rules, My address, Telephone number, Car Reg, make , model , and colour. He appreciated this and I think we've all got to remember, we call them  "our farms"  but they're not... They're someones livelyhood and Its up to us to prove to the farmer that we're responsible enough to detect on his property.

at last i think im getting somewhere.lol. Wink Grin

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:54:05 PM »

What !!! happened to your GPS Huh your on par with my missus directionally speaking Grin Grin Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »

nice to see you guys had a good day the photos are very good ,looks a nice area well done  Wink
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 05:59:58 PM »

Paul/Rob, cracking write up & pics Guys,the best of luck to you both !

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
silverhand

but it was there a minute ago

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »

great write up bud enjoy the read makes me wonna scive off work and go detecting

hammerd this year 0
hammerd last year 1

overall targets looks like i need to find more hammerd coins

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal