Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Found two flints today....or have I?  (Read 2785 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: March 25, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »

Any flint experts out there? Before I begin, just have a look at the pictures, and you would be forgiven for thinking that I have been fieldwalking and found these two out in the field. But I kid you not, I actually found these in my back garden, and no, not even in the natural soil in my back garden, but in purchased gravel made of flint stone. We bought some stone for our garden about two years ago from a garden centre, and if I remember correctly, it came from yorkshire, I may be wrong on that. Anyhow, is it really possible that these are flints, because had I found these out in the field, I would have most certainly have said yes, but as I have found these in gravel from a garden centre, makes me doubt myself now. You probably wonder what on earth made me look for these in the gravel, well, as it was lovely and sunny, was sitting outside, and happened to look at the gravel, picked up a few stones and saw the first one on the left, and thought no, not possible, and then I saw the second one, and well, I am lost for words. Has anybody ever read a story or heard of people finding stuff in purchased gravel/stone before? Where does flint gravel come from, the stuff we buy in garden centres, does it come from rivers, or is fields or something sifted out for the stuff? I know somebody would need to look at it first hand, but one has got to admit they do look convincing!

* Flints (1).jpg (185.51 KB, 700x519 - viewed 641 times.)

* Flints.jpg (161.84 KB, 700x519 - viewed 663 times.)

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »

Ummmmmmm. Now if you had found it in the natural soil I would say yes definitely as the nearest source of flint to us is over 60 miles, but finding flint in flint gravel well, that's not so convincing. The piece on the left does seem to have the expected "bulb of percussion" but the gravel (which come from gravel pits by the way, these are generally ancient river beds) is taken out by heavy plant machinery and the impacts that it could suffer during it's processing could cause it.
It may be worth showing an expert though, but it may be difficult to prove either way.
jtalbot0001

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »

Now that's what I thought Geoff, heavy machinery would be used to gather it all, so even if were real, and not just natures natural creation, how on earth they survived without being destroyed I don't know! (their only saving grace though, if real, is the fact they are the same size, and slightly smaller, than the rest of the stone, which maybe helped in its survival). But then I read a story in the paper today of a factory worker being pulled through a machine with a gap the size of a DVD case and actually has lived, an absolute miracle! I will show somebody the flints when I get the chance though. Thanks Geoff!

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »

Flint tools (if they are tools) will generally have the same patina all over. If the surface is of different colours it usually means they were made more recently.

If the edges look reworked to produce a blade or edge, again these would all be the same colour if they were made in antiquity.

Also, they would have to conform to a recognised tool pattern, eg arrow or spear head, scraper or hand axe to be defined as worked tools.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »

Have a look at 'Stone Age Tools Museum' (stoneagetools.co.uk) on line and see what you think.

Many of them look as if they were made yesterday and only have the natural patina of the flint itself on part of the tool. The worked surfaces are quite clean.

When I lived in Shrops. we bought Cotswold stone chippings for the garden and I spent many a happy hour sifting through for the many small pieces of fossil they contained. So I would say yes it's possible they may have been scooped up with the other gravel.

Val
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:43:50 PM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal